• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Safe Climate?

Waddles’Owner

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys and gals! I currently take care of an 8 month old bearded dragon. I live in Florida but I’ll be moving to North Carolina in 2 years after college. Just wanted to know if it’s okay to move there with a beardie, and if I’ll have any difficulties with the temperature change.

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hey guys and gals! I currently take care of an 8 month old bearded dragon. I live in Florida but I’ll be moving to North Carolina in 2 years after college. Just wanted to know if it’s okay to move there with a beardie, and if I’ll have any difficulties with the temperature change.
As long as the enclosure is the right temps you will be fine

Waddles’Owner

Bearded Dragon Egg
As long as the enclosure is the right temps you will be fine
Okay, thanks! Good to know :) Also, do you know what the safest way to travel with a beardie is? I’ve seen some people put a hammock on their car window so the beardie can bask. I’d put her in a large enclosure to be extra safe, but I worry she’d get too cold, and I don’t want her to get hurt by the cold.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Okay, thanks! Good to know :) Also, do you know what the safest way to travel with a beardie is? I’ve seen some people put a hammock on their car window so the beardie can bask. I’d put her in a large enclosure to be extra safe, but I worry she’d get too cold, and I don’t want her to get hurt by the cold.
Before you travel with your dragon, make sure her stomach is empty. Avoid feeding her the day before the trip. If she gets too cold to digest food, she won't be at risk for impaction.

To avoid damaging the enclosure and/or your dragon, keep her in some kind of travel enclosure while you're on the road. You can use a cat/small animal carrier, a ventilated plastic bin, or a box with air holes. Put some towels down on the floor to make it more comfortable.

As long as your car is heated, keeping her warm in the car shouldn't be a problem. You can also put pocket hand warmers in her enclosure to heat it up. Of course, don't leave her unattended in the car.

As for the basking in the car window, it's okay as long as the car isn't moving. Remember, the window will filter out the UVB rays and it may dangerously overheat.