• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Respiratory infection??

nicoleandadam01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello , I Have 3yr old dragon Spyro he’s roughly 400 grams his temps 95-100 humidity 30 .
About 2 weeks ago he started black bearding more , then found stuck sperm plug gave him a warm bath plug came out .. still was black bearding .. Friday we noticed him puffing his beard in and out like with his breathing Saturday it was clear he was having a hard time breathing you see it in his ribs and you could hear clicking/ poping with his breaths so we rushed him to the only emergency vet ( not a reptile vet ) but she had seen some other reptiles in past , she said she could hear stuff in his lungs and thought respiratory infection , so she nebulized him and gave him baytril 0.1ml 2x per day 14 day .. she said if it gets bad take him in bathroom with steam .. so I did and the popping noise got worse .. today we were able to get to his regular exotic vet .. he checked his airways and did X-ray and said there was nothing he could see wrong .. were awaiting fecal results .. he said this could just be behavior/ puberty .. we do have 2 other dragons in the same room not cage and cages are not facing each other ..
He still looks is like he’s breathing hard and he’s still black bearding .. anyone have any ideas ?

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Hello , I Have 3yr old dragon Spyro he’s roughly 400 grams his temps 95-100 humidity 30 .
About 2 weeks ago he started black bearding more , then found stuck sperm plug gave him a warm bath plug came out .. still was black bearding .. Friday we noticed him puffing his beard in and out like with his breathing Saturday it was clear he was having a hard time breathing you see it in his ribs and you could hear clicking/ poping with his breaths so we rushed him to the only emergency vet ( not a reptile vet ) but she had seen some other reptiles in past , she said she could hear stuff in his lungs and thought respiratory infection , so she nebulized him and gave him baytril 0.1ml 2x per day 14 day .. she said if it gets bad take him in bathroom with steam .. so I did and the popping noise got worse .. today we were able to get to his regular exotic vet .. he checked his airways and did X-ray and said there was nothing he could see wrong .. were awaiting fecal results .. he said this could just be behavior/ puberty .. we do have 2 other dragons in the same room not cage and cages are not facing each other ..
He still looks is like he’s breathing hard and he’s still black bearding .. anyone have any ideas ?
Does his throat (under the beard) look puffed up? If he is struggling to breathe, there may be some kind of issue with his lungs (such as fluid).
Try lowering his humidity and raising his temps by a few degrees.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would get him back to the other vet not the reptile vet -- the other ones seems to know more of what is going on --- the Baytril does it seem to be helping ---- next what are you using for a UVB ? The humidity at 30% is good so I am thinking there is a UVB issue please NO coils

nicoleandadam01

Bearded Dragon Egg
We’re using a reptisun 10.0 tube , 15” from basking spot .
58753C8A-CCA6-4973-B451-758A358553BC.jpeg

nicoleandadam01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hes in distress ---the 15 inches is on top of screen or inside the tank ? This is important -- the screen is a fine mesh screen like a screen door or a wide holed type
Karrie

The uvb is inside his tank , I know that screens will filter the uvb , and I just replaced the bulb last week ... I know he’s definitely upset and or in pain I really wish I could fix it ! I’m trying my best 2 vets in 3 days .. he’s always gone to scheduled vet check ups , every so often I do fecal tests .. cage is clean handled every day we’ve had him scene he was 3 months old ..
he gets the right greens in salad everyday and super worms every other day he gets roaches Or hornworms or bsfl , I use Rapeashy calcium mix powder ... I mean is it possible that this puberty ??

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
It can't be puberty, at three years old he's already full grown. I suggest you do some research on the exotic vet who told you it was and check out some reviews of his clinic, then consider switching.

nicoleandadam01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Does his throat (under the beard) look puffed up? If he is struggling to breathe, there may be some kind of issue with his lungs (such as fluid).
Try lowering his humidity and raising his temps by a few degrees.
I’ve lowered humidity . Yes his beard looks puffed .. I mean I wouldn’t say struggling to breath but breathing deeper heavier ... the water in his lungs was my first thought also but vet said he didn’t think so .. would you be able to see water in lungs on a X-ray ? He took one and saw nothing wrong ..

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I’ve lowered humidity . Yes his beard looks puffed .. I mean I wouldn’t say struggling to breath but breathing deeper heavier ... the water in his lungs was my first thought also but vet said he didn’t think so .. would you be able to see water in lungs on a X-ray ? He took one and saw nothing wrong ..
Yes, you can generally see fluid in lungs on an x-ray. It looks a bit like a gray mass. You could try going back to the non-exotic vet, she seems to know her stuff and may be able to prescribe something for any pain or infection.