• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rescued a Beardie

lextech

Bearded Dragon Egg
A couple weeks ago a coworker told me of a lizard found in his mother's rental unit. The occupant has been gone 2 months plus and they found he left his pets for dead. 2 dead lizards and 1 barely hanging on. I told him if he needed to rehome it I would volunteer, since I have reptile experience and enjoy them.

So today I took possession of one badly treated Beardie. He's about 10-12" and 1.9 ounces, all skin n bones. His LF leg is like dead, hangs underneath him and drags, haven't seen him move it. RF leg is weak and uncoordinated but moves. He is alert though! And his eyes say he wants to live. So I told the family we will nurse him back to health or atleast give him the best remaining life he has at this point.

I got him a light for uva/b as he was living on only a baking light. Set up his terrarium with new substrate, water dish, baking spot and a hide. Filled his dish with commercial Beardie food, a few live meal worms, and chopped grape, lightly dusted with herpavit and calcium +d3. I know I should feed him close to night but I want to see him taking food. Gave him a few crickets and he really perked up at them, but doesnt have the mobility to get them on his own yet so I'll get some tongs tomorrow.

Hopefully I can undo some of the abuse he has suffered and give him a good life.

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
omg!!! thank you for saving this little guy. the poor baby, its aweful what some people do to animals. you might try syringe feeding a slurry of baby food with liquid calcium as well sounds like he may have mbd as well.

lextech

Bearded Dragon Egg
He's eating dusted fresh fruit now (I'll get greens later today) and I'll get tongs to feed him bugs.

I am concerned about the MBD, as he is in such rough shape. When I Google signs of mbd, they dont really fit what I'm seeing, but im not a vet.

Speaking of vets, the only reason I haven't brought him yet is I want to get some weight on him before having his condition evaluated.

I'll tryn get a pic up tonight.

lextech

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just an update,

So the kids named him Grampa and the name seems to fit the attitude. Not sure if hes a he or not but we just call him a him. He's up to 6.1 oz now though, 173 grams. His left front leg is useless and the right one is pretty puny too but he manages ok.