• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Reptisun 24 inch 10.0 in or out (what is really the truth?)

BEStillz

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello guys. First post here. Hello everyone! I’m a new beardie owner and I’m currently setting up a bioactive 36x18x18 terrarium. There seems to be a lot of confusions around wether to place the reptisun t5 10.0 inside or on top of the screen mesh. After doing some research I choose to go with the reptisun 24 inch in the 36 inch enclosure to better create a uvb gradient just like the hot/cold gradient. The top of my basking spot is approximately 6 inches from the top of the screen. Would this be too close to mount the uvb inside? I know that mounting it on top of the screen takes away approx 30% uvb, and would like to get as much uvb as possible without giving too much (at such a close distance with inside mounting). This seems to be one of the topics that no one seems to agree on and I’m confused lol. I attached a photo of my setup for a better understanding. Never mind the uvb currently being used. It will be replaced when I figure out where to mount the new setup.

Attachments

• 2DAB61B5-FE8D-4D39-AE51-2BEE5642BFAE.jpeg
    2DAB61B5-FE8D-4D39-AE51-2BEE5642BFAE.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 56

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
My understanding is that the t5 10.0 is strong enough at that short distance that you can put it on top of the screen, and if mounting it inside, you want a distance of 10-12 inches. I try to provide a range of distances and let the dragon choose, just like with the basking area. :0)

BEStillz

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for your reply guys! What confuses me is the chart from zoo med recommends the distance for t5 10.0 bulb To be 5-10 inches away, best being 5 inches. Thats what gives me the impression that it would be ok at 6 inches away. See attachment for chart. According to the chart they are considered mid day baskers. It doesn’t specify it it should be inside or on the screen though.

Attachments

• A75CDACD-4B52-42E9-853F-9749D239983D.png
    A75CDACD-4B52-42E9-853F-9749D239983D.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 37

BEStillz

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks guys. I’ve decided to go with mounting it on top of the mesh. Thank you for the clarification.