• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Reptisun 10.0 vs 10.0 High Output bulb?

Goodums

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Greetings everyone, I just obtained a bearded dragon for my boys and after much research found the reptisun bulbs to be top choice.

Ive just spent hours trying to find out what the main differences and advantages are between the normal 10.0 and the high output bulbs but can't find much other than uvb distance and output.
From my musings (and feel free to correct me because I don't want to be misinformed) the HO t5 bulbs produce roughly 25% more uvb and allow for a distance of 18-36 inches of travel while the normal 10.0 bulb produces the 10% uvb from 10-18 inches.

Okay so about the terrarium. . .
40 gallon tank with screen top, will not be using a "hood" style fixture as I am trying to find a good cabinet light fixture to mount to the underside of the screen lid. (Screened top potentially blocks up to 50% uvb from bulb right?)

Here's the meat of my questions;
  • With the tank being 40 gallon, and the t8 bulb reach being 10-18 - would the t8 bulb actually be better than the t5 with a reach of 18-36 inches? Or is the recommended distance from lamp to animal chart actually just the potential extended reach of the uvb from the bulb and not the range the beardie should BE from the bulb?
  • Would a 22" in a 40 gal be sufficient in uvb radius? (22" t5 vs 24" t8)
  • If I go with the t5 High output, would it require a special t5 HO fixture or would any t5 fixture work?
This quest for the best bulb is insane, I've had bearded dragons in the past and always used a 10.0 24" but back then they did not have these high output bulbs.

I truly appreciate any insight on this matter, i've 4 kids so my time toward research is limited and I apologize if this question has been asked numerous times in the past.

Edit:
I'd also like to add, this bearded dragon is 6 months old and has been using a reptiglo 2.0 coil bulb for some time. I understand coil bulbs cause eye problems - is there anything I should keep an eye out to make sure this lil guy stays safe until I order the good gear?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Lights aren't my specialty but let me tell you what I do know. It's true that the mesh blocks out a lot of the UVB but the T5 HO bulbs can be in a hood on top of the mesh and still provide enough UVB. I used to have the T8 and they were okay then a few months ago I made the switch to the T5 and my beardies are a lot more active and eating more. I have the hood sitting on top of the mesh and Dexter probably sits about 16" from the light. As far as the length of the hood I think the rule is it should cover 2/3 of the tank. Mine actually covers the whole top of the tank.

As far as the fixture, I think I someone said not to get just any one. A ZooMed or Arcadia fixture would suite your purpose better. If cost is an issue, the one thing to remember is with the T5 bulbs you only have to replace them once a year as opposed to twice a year with the t8. In the long run you will be saving money.

Signs of eye problems would be keeping eyes closed all the time or swelling or discharge.

Goodums

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you so much for your reply.

With the T5 HO is there a danger zone of being too close? Would you mind estimating your BD basking distance from the UVB?
I've also been price comparing this morning and found that the bulb and a $10-20 fixture ends up being about the same price as the reptisun hood fixture (which from my reading comes with a bulb as well?) So if the hood being on the top isn't a deal breaker I may just go with it. That said i'm sure if I really felt adamant about it, I could find a way to rig under the screen top.

Frankly, i'm not impressed with the selection of fixtures under $60 anyway.

Goodums

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I hate to double post but I can't edit...

Did some digging around and came across this...
ReptiSunDistanceOutputChartjpeg_zpsdb68c5e7.jpg

Source: https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=208941&start=15#p1642544

I find it very interesting to find the t5 5.0 being so very close to the t8 10.0 bulbs. Which as it turns out, the zoo med fixture comes with a 5.0.
I feel fairly confident in getting the zoo med hood now.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Dexter's basking spot is probably about 16" away from the UVB and about 2 or 3 inches in front of the light. I bought the ZooMed hood on sale at Dr. Foster Smiths. It was around $50.

drzebra

Juvenile Dragon
Meh, my dragons have the T8 ZooMed 10.0 light mounted inside their enclosures with Command hooks and $10 under cabinet fixtures from Walmart. No complaints so far. :)

Goodums

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Meh, my dragons have the T8 ZooMed 10.0 light mounted inside their enclosures with Command hooks and $10 under cabinet fixtures from Walmart. No complaints so far. :)
I had originally done that with my previous beardie, but now I live in the middle of no where and can't find anything like that anymore. Didn't have much luck on websites either. But! Ordered the hood so all shall be well in 2 days!

Truth be told, now i'm trying to figure out if the 5.0 bulb will be safe enough until I order a 10.0. The data above makes me worry the t5 10.0 might be too much for the 40 gal tank though. (With the reflector on the hood)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I've been using the 10.0 for 3 months now and haven't had any problems but I have read that the 5.0 would work just fine.

jessica1919

Hatchling Dragon
Lights aren't my specialty but let me tell you what I do know. It's true that the mesh blocks out a lot of the UVB but the T5 HO bulbs can be in a hood on top of the mesh and still provide enough UVB. I used to have the T8 and they were okay then a few months ago I made the switch to the T5 and my beardies are a lot more active and eating more. I have the hood sitting on top of the mesh and Dexter probably sits about 16" from the light. As far as the length of the hood I think the rule is it should cover 2/3 of the tank. Mine actually covers the whole top of the tank.

As far as the fixture, I think I someone said not to get just any one. A ZooMed or Arcadia fixture would suite your purpose better. If cost is an issue, the one thing to remember is with the T5 bulbs you only have to replace them once a year as opposed to twice a year with the t8. In the long run you will be saving money.

Signs of eye problems would be keeping eyes closed all the time or swelling or discharge.[/QUOTE

jessica1919

Hatchling Dragon
Patsy after reading your post do you think i should lower my basking spot? Its raided up about 6 inches which makes it only 12 inches from the lights..I don't have it directly under the uvb light ..But with the reflector even tho its ontop of the screen should i lower it? Thanks Patsy

jessica1919

Hatchling Dragon
Patsy the habba hut i am using for basking which he loves is about 4 inches tall..It sits on 2 inch bricks because i thought he was suppose to be like 12 inches away from the basking and uvb lights..I am worried with the way he raises himself up i may have it to close to the T5HO 10.0 uvb..I have noticed he rarely looks toward the front of the tank which is where i have it laid..Do you think i should take the bricks out? Thanks