• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Reptile Noob - Advice Appreciated!

ArDragonTamer

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone! I am a new dragon owner. I adopted a 17 month old male bearded dragon from a colleague (we work in animal medicine – I only work with mammals so dragons are new to me!). He came with everything. Here’s my set up breakdown:

4x2x2 Zen Habitat Enclosure

UVA / Basking Bulb – Not sure of wattage. I have a combo UVA/UVB 100 watt basking bulb on the way, though.

UVB Tube Light – T10 I believe? Located from basking spot to the center of the enclosure.

He currently has two hides – one of the warm side and one on the cool. He also has a climbing rock in the middle.

He is currently substrate-less as that is what his previous owner did. I have non-adhesive shelf liners on the way to line his tank and will set them up this weekend. As I’m new, I don’t feel comfortable using loose substrate.

The basking spot is on the left side of his tank and it stays between 91-95 degrees. The cool side stays 71 degrees. The warm side humidity stays at 19% and the cool at 30%.

I’m on the fourth day of ownership. He is obviously stressed, indicated by his stress lines. I know this is normal for a new environment. I’ve set his tank up exactly as his old owner had it in the hopes that would help some. My biggest worry is of course eating/drinking/general health. I’ve seen him eat one worm so far and pick at his salad (I give him a mix of turnip greens, bok choy, mustard greens, squash, and bell peppers each morning – top dressed with vitamin and calcium powder) and have been offering crickets but he’s not interested. I have dubias on the way. He’s so far had one normal in appearance bowel movement.

This morning he was asleep on the cool side and when I went home to check on him, he was still there. Of course he may have gone back and forth that day, I can’t say for sure. I went to check his skin and it seemed slightly wrinkled on his back so now I’m concerned about possible dehydration. I dripped some water onto his mouth/face area and he has a water bowl available.

My questions:

• I have four cats. They’re largely uninterested in him, but I do sometimes catch them watching him from outside his enclosure. Is it advisable to cover the front see-through part of his tank with a sheet while I’m not home? I know it’s something I do at work to reduce stress on animals, but wasn’t sure if that would affect his temp/humidity levels.
  • How concerned should I be that he isn’t interested in eating bugs at this time? When I do introduce the roaches do I just let them go in his enclosure and let him hunt or do I put him in a smaller space so it is easier for him?
  • Are the temperatures on each side ok? I’ve read so much about the temps necessary, and many suggest that 90 on the warm side is totally fine and normal, but others say you want at least 95 – 100.
  • How long should I leave him be before I interact more closely with him? Currently I don’t pick him up or allow my children to pick him up. We will reach in once a day and stroke him and offer bugs, but that’s it. I know eventually I will need to thoroughly clean his tank and will have to move him for various other reasons.
Obviously I’m a little neurotic about him right now as I don’t really know what I’m doing, but I’m super committed to being the dragon parent I can be. He’s very important to not only me, but also my lizard loving son that has already emotionally attached himself to him. (He reads to him every night, which is freaking adorable.)

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello everyone! I am a new dragon owner. I adopted a 17 month old male bearded dragon from a colleague (we work in animal medicine – I only work with mammals so dragons are new to me!). He came with everything. Here’s my set up breakdown:

4x2x2 Zen Habitat Enclosure

UVA / Basking Bulb – Not sure of wattage. I have a combo UVA/UVB 100 watt basking bulb on the way, though.

UVB Tube Light – T10 I believe? Located from basking spot to the center of the enclosure.

He currently has two hides – one of the warm side and one on the cool. He also has a climbing rock in the middle.

He is currently substrate-less as that is what his previous owner did. I have non-adhesive shelf liners on the way to line his tank and will set them up this weekend. As I’m new, I don’t feel comfortable using loose substrate.

The basking spot is on the left side of his tank and it stays between 91-95 degrees. The cool side stays 71 degrees. The warm side humidity stays at 19% and the cool at 30%.

I’m on the fourth day of ownership. He is obviously stressed, indicated by his stress lines. I know this is normal for a new environment. I’ve set his tank up exactly as his old owner had it in the hopes that would help some. My biggest worry is of course eating/drinking/general health. I’ve seen him eat one worm so far and pick at his salad (I give him a mix of turnip greens, bok choy, mustard greens, squash, and bell peppers each morning – top dressed with vitamin and calcium powder) and have been offering crickets but he’s not interested. I have dubias on the way. He’s so far had one normal in appearance bowel movement.

This morning he was asleep on the cool side and when I went home to check on him, he was still there. Of course he may have gone back and forth that day, I can’t say for sure. I went to check his skin and it seemed slightly wrinkled on his back so now I’m concerned about possible dehydration. I dripped some water onto his mouth/face area and he has a water bowl available.

My questions:

• I have four cats. They’re largely uninterested in him, but I do sometimes catch them watching him from outside his enclosure. Is it advisable to cover the front see-through part of his tank with a sheet while I’m not home? I know it’s something I do at work to reduce stress on animals, but wasn’t sure if that would affect his temp/humidity levels.
  • How concerned should I be that he isn’t interested in eating bugs at this time? When I do introduce the roaches do I just let them go in his enclosure and let him hunt or do I put him in a smaller space so it is easier for him?
  • Are the temperatures on each side ok? I’ve read so much about the temps necessary, and many suggest that 90 on the warm side is totally fine and normal, but others say you want at least 95 – 100.
  • How long should I leave him be before I interact more closely with him? Currently I don’t pick him up or allow my children to pick him up. We will reach in once a day and stroke him and offer bugs, but that’s it. I know eventually I will need to thoroughly clean his tank and will have to move him for various other reasons.
Obviously I’m a little neurotic about him right now as I don’t really know what I’m doing, but I’m super committed to being the dragon parent I can be. He’s very important to not only me, but also my lizard loving son that has already emotionally attached himself to him. (He reads to him every night, which is freaking adorable.)

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Hes going to go thru relocation stress so his appetite will be off for while --- look on the UVB bulb your using I need to know if its a T 5 or T 8 it will be on the bottom of the bulb where the brand is and please tell me the brand
--- you need digital probe thermometers - 2 of them one for cool side one for basking side - the probe needs to be placed on the spot where he sits for basking wait 10 min or so get the temp 95-100 -- cool side during the tank should be in the 80's --- nite time temps nothing below 65--- those can be taken w/ a stick on --- you need a digital probe hygrometer place the probe in the center back wall of the tank nothing below 20% and nothing over 70% -- https://dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer?variant=21432314265685
Keep feeding fresh salads every day as long as hes eating something that is good - the appetite will increase as long as the basking temps are correct and you MUST have a good UVB or he will stop eating all together --- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
I have 6 cats and mine do not bother either of my dragons -- please do not cover him up he needs to get used to the surroundings and acclimate to the tank but you MUST have good lighting and good temps --
Offer the bugs roaches are really good 2-3 times per week - what kind of UVB was he using before this is important for the calcium he was / or is getting and the UVB plays a huge role in this
Rinse the salads before serving he will hydration thru them -- No baths for now another way to see if he will drink but since he just moved in it will stress him out more so please rinse the greens before serving -- Keep the cats out of the room when your not home that will keep him from getting too stressed out and you can supervise the cats till they are used to him once that happens you are probably good but for now keep them out when no one is home -- is the bottom of the tank bamboo? If so you want to get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner or slated ceramic tile -- nothing real coarse you dont want him w/ abrasions I am posting a pic of my Zen if you have questions please ask

Attachments

• IMG_20210920_080952243.jpg
    IMG_20210920_080952243.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 18

ArDragonTamer

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hes going to go thru relocation stress so his appetite will be off for while --- look on the UVB bulb your using I need to know if its a T 5 or T 8 it will be on the bottom of the bulb where the brand is and please tell me the brand
--- you need digital probe thermometers - 2 of them one for cool side one for basking side - the probe needs to be placed on the spot where he sits for basking wait 10 min or so get the temp 95-100 -- cool side during the tank should be in the 80's --- nite time temps nothing below 65--- those can be taken w/ a stick on --- you need a digital probe hygrometer place the probe in the center back wall of the tank nothing below 20% and nothing over 70% -- https://dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer?variant=21432314265685
Keep feeding fresh salads every day as long as hes eating something that is good - the appetite will increase as long as the basking temps are correct and you MUST have a good UVB or he will stop eating all together --- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
I have 6 cats and mine do not bother either of my dragons -- please do not cover him up he needs to get used to the surroundings and acclimate to the tank but you MUST have good lighting and good temps --
Offer the bugs roaches are really good 2-3 times per week - what kind of UVB was he using before this is important for the calcium he was / or is getting and the UVB plays a huge role in this
Rinse the salads before serving he will hydration thru them -- No baths for now another way to see if he will drink but since he just moved in it will stress him out more so please rinse the greens before serving -- Keep the cats out of the room when your not home that will keep him from getting too stressed out and you can supervise the cats till they are used to him once that happens you are probably good but for now keep them out when no one is home -- is the bottom of the tank bamboo? If so you want to get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner or slated ceramic tile -- nothing real coarse you dont want him w/ abrasions I am posting a pic of my Zen if you have questions please ask
I will double check the UVB light when I get home. His entire set up came with him (including the current bulbs), so everything is exactly as it was before. I wanted to mimic as much as he was familiar with as long as possible and I have the same Zen enclosure you posted! :) I purchased some non adhesive shelf liner and it's coming in this weekend. I will post a pic once I'm home.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I will double check the UVB light when I get home. His entire set up came with him (including the current bulbs), so everything is exactly as it was before. I wanted to mimic as much as he was familiar with as long as possible and I have the same Zen enclosure you posted! :) I purchased some non adhesive shelf liner and it's coming in this weekend. I will post a pic once I'm home.
Please find out how old the UVB if its over a year old it needs to be replaced ASAP--- and I need to know what the bulb is --- it needs to be a T 5 the T 8 is too small so to speak for a 4x2x2 tank -

ArDragonTamer

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please find out how old the UVB if its over a year old it needs to be replaced ASAP--- and I need to know what the bulb is --- it needs to be a T 5 the T 8 is too small so to speak for a 4x2x2 tank -
Ok, so I checked my UVB bulb and it was a T8. So I ordered a longer T5 and a new hood. They're coming in this Sunday. Hopefully this helps him.

Should they be mounted on the inside of the tank or is on top ok?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, so I checked my UVB bulb and it was a T8. So I ordered a longer T5 and a new hood. They're coming in this Sunday. Hopefully this helps him.

Should they be mounted on the inside of the tank or is on top ok?
Depending on the screen on the tank please tell me if its a wide hole or a fine screen mesh like a screen door --- how long of a fixture did you get?

ArDragonTamer

Bearded Dragon Egg
Depending on the screen on the tank please tell me if its a wide hole or a fine screen mesh like a screen door --- how long of a fixture did you get?
Its a 24" fixture. I've attached pics of the screen. This morning he still hadn't moved. His skin looked very wrinkly so I syringe-fed him 5 mL of water and moved him to his basking spot. I've attached a pic of him after doing this. Still not interested in eating.

Attachments

• IMG_20211203_085440079.jpg
    IMG_20211203_085440079.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20211203_085252711.jpg
    IMG_20211203_085252711.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20211203_085300636_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211203_085300636_HDR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 16

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Its a 24" fixture. I've attached pics of the screen. This morning he still hadn't moved. His skin looked very wrinkly so I syringe-fed him 5 mL of water and moved him to his basking spot. I've attached a pic of him after doing this. Still not interested in eating.
Ok so the screen is a wide hole --- it can sit on top but your gonna need a piece of decor to go underneath it so it sits 8-10 inches so I would recommend getting it in the tank - that way distance can be 12-15 inches -- you can use this to hang in the tank it works great its what I use its like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around the fixture https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
get your basking temps in order and the UVB and watch his behavior -- he may go thru relocation stress for awhile and not eat -- just keep offering him food -- the changes are gonna knock him off kilter but he will adjust give him some time --

ArDragonTamer

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so the screen is a wide hole --- it can sit on top but your gonna need a piece of decor to go underneath it so it sits 8-10 inches so I would recommend getting it in the tank - that way distance can be 12-15 inches -- you can use this to hang in the tank it works great its what I use its like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around the fixture https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
get your basking temps in order and the UVB and watch his behavior -- he may go thru relocation stress for awhile and not eat -- just keep offering him food -- the changes are gonna knock him off kilter but he will adjust give him some time --
I went ahead and turned on my CHE bulb as well and the basking temps are now at 105 (surface temp 115). He's chilling and his coloring seems a little better. Will let him rest and hang out and later on will install his new substrate mats. I will keep making sure he's getting at least some water to avoid dehydration, and will leave out fresh food at all times so hopefully when he is feeling more comfortable it's there. Thanks for the help!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I went ahead and turned on my CHE bulb as well and the basking temps are now at 105 (surface temp 115). He's chilling and his coloring seems a little better. Will let him rest and hang out and later on will install his new substrate mats. I will keep making sure he's getting at least some water to avoid dehydration, and will leave out fresh food at all times so hopefully when he is feeling more comfortable it's there. Thanks for the help!
What wattage basking bulb are you using? Surface temp is way too hot for him at 115---- you want 95-100--- he wont bask w / it that hot---

ArDragonTamer

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well darn. There's so much conflicting info about dragons on the internet. I am not sure about what wattage my current bulb is. It came with him. I have a 100 watt coming. I turned off the CHE, so hopefully it makes it more comfortable now.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well darn. There's so much conflicting info about dragons on the internet. I am not sure about what wattage my current bulb is. It came with him. I have a 100 watt coming. I turned off the CHE, so hopefully it makes it more comfortable now.
Ok look on your bulb when you can I am thinking it's a 150 which is what I use but check and let me know

ArDragonTamer

Bearded Dragon Egg
So my new 100 watt bulb came in today. (It's a UVA/UVB bulb) and the ambient temp on the hot side is 90 and the surface temp of basking spot is 98. Does that seem appropriate? I also laid out his new substrate. I've attached a pic. New UVB set up comes in 4 days. If he keeps staying on the cooler side (71 degrees) should I move him to the basking spot periodically?

Attachments

• IMG_20211203_144810867_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211203_144810867_HDR.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 16

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So my new 100 watt bulb came in today. (It's a UVA/UVB bulb) and the ambient temp on the hot side is 90 and the surface temp of basking spot is 98. Does that seem appropriate? I also laid out his new substrate. I've attached a pic. New UVB set up comes in 4 days. If he keeps staying on the cooler side (71 degrees) should I move him to the basking spot periodically?
98 is good --- the floor liner looks great :) -- watch his behavior and see if he moves on his own - since its winter time I am wondering if he is trying to brumate? Did the owners ever say anything about him brumating? Right now my two are REALLLLLY lazy not in brumation completely but not eating a whole lot and doing alot of sleeping well Blaze is but he is moving around the tank sleeping in different spots --- Hiccup is being his normal self basking and awake not eating much which is normal for him -- and w/ yours the relocation stress and the weather could have a lot to do w/ what hes doing --- the best thing you can do is watch his behavior -- I would get a weight on him now kitchen food scale weigh in grams and watch the weight -- if hes losing it something is off -- once you get all your temps in order and the UVB set up we will see what he does plus the adjustment of the tank itself also makes a impact on them --- they dont like change :) also keep him hydrated hes not gonna be pooping much if hes not eating -- hydrate him by offering water on his nose w/ a eye dropper or drop water on his nose see if he will drink --