• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

removing tile adhesive from an terrarium?

iguion

Bearded Dragon Egg
I purchased a terrarium from craigslist the seller told me he just layed tile inside it (the crap linoleum stuff) i got the aquarium home (didn't check while i was there because it was kind of nasty thought i'd get it home clean it up by just pulling the tiles out and trashing them but they are glued to the bottom of the terrarium, any ideas what i can use to get the glue off that would be safe for my beardie?

JUNGLE JIM

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
What are you planning on using for a substrate? It might be easier to wash the cheap tile and put what you want over the top.rather than risk breaking the terrarium glass trying to get the tile up.

iguion

Bearded Dragon Egg
was going to put untreated tiles in there that i could pull out and wash when needed, i'm worried that stuff got under these tiles tho and i dont want to risk parasites or anything from the previous owner, his beardie passed away from parasites and had diarhea for like a year straight he said so yeah i really want to get these up and clean under them, thought of maybe heating up the tiles to maybe soften the glue? or maybe goo gone? but i'm not sure i could completely get the residue out?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Pull off what you can and use Goo Gone and a razor blade to scrape out the adhesive. It's going to take some elbow grease but it should work.

Jonathan95123

Bearded Dragon Egg
Laswabbie has the idea.. I typically use heat to remove any sort of adhesive. Doesnt work for all adhesives (i work with stuff that can handle 700F!). use a hair blower or heat gun to heat the tiles/glue and try pulling them off. Best of luck