• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

refuses to eat

beardienewbie

Hatchling Dragon
my bearded buddy refuses to eat anything other than crickets, what are some ways to correct this? i offer him a big variety of food but he still won't touch it

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
my bearded buddy refuses to eat anything other than crickets, what are some ways to correct this? i offer him a big variety of food but he still won't touch it
How old is the dragon?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think he is 3 months. But that's going off his size. Otherwise I'm not certain
You need to start him on salads and I would recommend you getting him some BSFL they are a great staple feeder and lure to the salad bowl - DO NOT dust them - www.symtonbsf.com order large - feed as many as you want they are a great compliment to the crickets - I would recommend switching over to dubia roaches they are better nutritional wise plus easier to care for www.dubiaroaches.com make sure they are no bigger than the space between the eyes length wise they are having a sale on them now til the end of the month discount code is JULY42021 -- take the BSFL hand feed a couple the take them and add them to his salads in front of him the movement is going to lure him to the bowl - you will need a bowl like this https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
his main diet is protein but you want him eating some salads now --- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a great staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Make sure your dusting the main staple insect w/ calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding -- hes going to eat less dubias as they are more filling and w/ the BSFL that too will decrease the dubias --- I would get a 10 gallon aquarium or tote and order 200 small roaches feed dubia food w/ dubia dew which is water crystals and then you can also feed stuff like squash fruit carrots etc as well - its going to be cheaper to feed the roaches than the crickets

beardienewbie

Hatchling Dragon
You need to start him on salads and I would recommend you getting him some BSFL they are a great staple feeder and lure to the salad bowl - DO NOT dust them - www.symtonbsf.com order large - feed as many as you want they are a great compliment to the crickets - I would recommend switching over to dubia roaches they are better nutritional wise plus easier to care for www.dubiaroaches.com make sure they are no bigger than the space between the eyes length wise they are having a sale on them now til the end of the month discount code is JULY42021 -- take the BSFL hand feed a couple the take them and add them to his salads in front of him the movement is going to lure him to the bowl - you will need a bowl like this https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
his main diet is protein but you want him eating some salads now --- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a great staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Make sure your dusting the main staple insect w/ calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding -- hes going to eat less dubias as they are more filling and w/ the BSFL that too will decrease the dubias --- I would get a 10 gallon aquarium or tote and order 200 small roaches feed dubia food w/ dubia dew which is water crystals and then you can also feed stuff like squash fruit carrots etc as well - its going to be cheaper to feed the roaches than the crickets
I've heard many mixed views on Romain lettuce.

Ziggy2018

Bearded Dragon Egg
How old is the dragon?
Purchase Black Soldier Fly Larvaes (small/medium). Provide Kale (yes kale), mustard greens, collards, any type of squash cut up. Mix veggies all up. Introduce your BD's to bsfl with tongs if never fed. Most BD's go crazy over them & they are loaded with calcium; therefore no need to dust. Dump 15-25+ inside bowl & make sure pieces are small enough to "accidentally" end up in tummy. Keep doing this every other day & your BD will look forward to its veggies. This is Aries chowing down on hers with bsfl hidden in greens. She is now 9 months old.

beardienewbie

Hatchling Dragon
i have a question that isn't a diet question. when measuring a BD, are they measured nose to tip of tail or nose to base of tail?

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Beardies are fussy like humans; they like fresh & crispy & cut up to size so it’s not to big for him. So, make sure the veggies/greens are placed on the cold side of the tank & switched out as they wilt. Whomever had him before you should have started the plate of veggies and greens as soon as he was a baby. you always serve it daily & a fresh plate when it’s wilted along w/the proteins. When they are growing they need lots of proteins; Dubias and crickets and always the plate of fresh veggies/greens to munch and snack on otherwise when they get older they may never eat them. Start by hand feeding and introducing new veggies/greens; make sure it’s cut up to size, not to big for him. U can also order salad dressing for Beardies and use it for a few weeks and when he starts eating slowly omit the salad dressing. The Best Everyday greens & veggies are: mustard greens, collard greens, dandelions, yellow squash ( has lots of calcium), butternut squash, Green beans & snap peas. U can do some red bell pepper ocassionaly. Try the yellow squash/butternut squash and red bell pepper first by hand try to get it slowly in his mouth. Or the salad dressing works. Fruits do as treats 2-3 times a week in moderation cuz a lot sugar is bad for them. Th best ones are blueberries, mangoes and papaya. He will
Go nuts for the blueberries get him to taste it by brushing it on his mouth/lips. GLuck