• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

red skin & blisters on dragon after mealworm feed

carl gregory

Bearded Dragon Egg
hi all,my names carl & I have had this dragon for a couple of years now after she was going to get chucked in a skip coz she lost a front limb.
The reason why im on here is that my dragon skin is going red a few days after a feed on mealworms,she has also started getting what look like bubbles around her kneck n face red in colour with a bit of liquid coming from them every now n then,been going on over the last week,any ideas on what this is & what we can do to help her,we tfirst thought it was her bedding so started changing it daily but made no difference,any help will be much appreciated or pointing in the right direction,thank you
carl

Attachments

• IMAG2751.jpg
    IMAG2751.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMAG2752.jpg
    IMAG2752.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 93
  • IMAG2753.jpg
    IMAG2753.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 91

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
:( poor baby.. those look like blisters, burns? what's your lighting? is there anything in there that would burn her? do you feed anything other than mealworms as those are really hard for them to digest...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yeah it looks like burns. How close can he get to the light and what is the temp?

You are going to need to take him to the vet, whatever is going on is covering most of his body he can't feel good. A vet can hopefully treat it.

arieligoe

Bearded Dragon Egg
please take him to a vet if you can!! i also suggest rarely feeding him mealworms. they are very hard for them to digest. i do know that sometimes that can still be alive in the beardies stomach, and try to burrow their way out. this could be causing the red spots. also, try to cut back on the basking lights a little bit. never let it go over 110°F. keep the light at a fair distance from the dragon too. good luck!!

carl gregory

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah it looks like burns. How close can he get to the light and what is the temp?

You are going to need to take him to the vet, whatever is going on is covering most of his body he can't feel good. A vet can hopefully treat it.
thank you,she cant get near the lamp thou shes 7 inches away from it,,the meal worms was a treat n dried so dead,she normanally has locusts,we havent changed nothing height wise in her home since she been in there just found it strange how its just come on,will take her in,thanks

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Not only are the chips easy to ingest, but cedar and pine and other woods are TOXIC. I would get him off the wood ASAP clean the tank real good and put paper towel down.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OMG patsyB I missed that one too!! NO wood chips :( good catch
What does the belly look like????

carl gregory

Bearded Dragon Egg
OMG patsyB I missed that one too!! NO wood chips :( good catch
What does the belly look like????
her bellys fine,we havent changed nothing in her home since she's been with us,so bit confused why its happened now,we have always used the chippings as these were recommened by the reptile store we go to ,i was going to put sand in (play pit sand),what should we have in then,the heat buld we are useing is also from the pet store a heat spot reflector bulb temp at 42c.our lass booking her in today.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It could just be happening over time, I really would not use any sand..The best is repti carpet, paper towels, contact paper, ceramic tiles....
42c is 107F adults don't need as high of temps as babies it could come down 100F maybe even a little more not much.. Does she have her eyes open when basking? If not that might be another way of seeing if it's too hot for her.