• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Re: Advanced Bearded Dragon Manual

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have to say that the information in this manual is fairly well thought out and written. It is ashamed there are not multiple points of view in it but aside from that the information is very good.

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Does he recommend high basking temps and dirt? Or properly ventilated and humidity?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lol , Tim. I told you ,you were verified. Looking for more back up ?
Janie :)

BeardedBob

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
zebraflavencs said:
Brian, so it is worth the money ?
Janie.

Worth means different things to different people. It is hard to place one person's worth as anyone else's when it comes to stuff like this I would imagine (having not bought it yet).

To a newbie like me it might be worth a fortune, but for someone with Cryptic's obvious knowledge it might not be worth the same.

So can I rephrase the question to ask, would it help a non-breeder to gain knowledge on the various aspects of bearded dragon care?

I have bought some pretty cheesy books in the past that didn't talk much more about beardies being from Australia and that they eat crickets!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Tim you are just too precious for words, you know that ?

And yes, you are right, Bob. I was looking at the same value that anyone advanced beyond beginner would appreciate, as well as the beginner.
Janie.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it does not advocate care outside of the "normal" and accepted care. But that is where i see the one and only downfall of this book is the fact that it is written from only one person's point of view. a lot of the information in it is quite useful even for those of us that are well versed in these animals than a lot of the information is pretty entry level for a "advanced" book. Overall it is a worthwhile book but i am not really sure it is worth 32 bux.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dont get me wrong its a great read. But i just feel that its about 12 dollars overpriced lol. 20 dollars and i wouldnt have any remorse over having purchased it. Of course it will be useful on its information for breaking down various diseases and defining terms in a more "barney style" approach. It has info on how to build a incubator which is useful and it has business breakdowns on being a breeder. So it has good info in it.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was looking at the same value that anyone advanced beyond beginner would appreciate, as well as the beginner

Those of us that have been around for a couple of decades have seen the comings and goings of certian practices both in husbandry and the medical field. We've seen first hand those things that work and those things that simply don't. We don't generally buy books, although other perspectives are interesting and bring out some good points. I read somewhere recently where a member indicated that the location of the owner (where he lived) could play an important part in his husbandry. He was laughed at, and everyone told him husbandry needed to be a certian way. Yet they couldn't explain the health and sizes of his animals and the length of time of his practice compared to that "programmed" response.

Books are good when they're written for the beginner. You can never go wrong with safe practices. But after that, advanced keepers usually branch out to their own ideas and research.

With some E-books.......the author has the capability to update as he chooses and simply re-publish. I'd be interested to know if this book has that capability. With the rate of advancement, it would be imperitive for recommendations.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Personally, I believe some are getting bogged down with vernacular. As with any book, whether it be a history book or a biography, it is the author's opinion and written with that author's style. If you were privileged to read the Basic Bearded Dragon Manual from the same author, it would be understood why this one has been chosen to be titled Advanced Bearded Dragon Manual. I am aware of the amount of time it took to complete this manual because it was chosen not to offer the Basic Bearded Dragon Manual.

Additionally, as your post is your opinion, this book is Dr. Delport's opinion.

I do believe there is beneficial information for those caring for bearded dragons. The lot of you corresponding in this post are in a special category and are not the common bearded dragon owner.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well having a chance to read thru most of this number. I found it to be well written, and for a beginner I think they can do alot worse the this little book. I think the author took his time and tried to look at this project like a beginner would. Now while nothing was out of the norm as far as care ect ect. How many of us could have benefitted an up to date manual to introduce the hobby? Remember what we tend to call rules are far from absolutes, with every pooper being different with its own likes and dislikes aside from meeting the basic needs of the pooper the rest is fair game.

BeardedBob

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have to say that I became intirgue enough that I decided to take the plunge. I have to say that I agree with Cryptics later comments on the book when he said it was well written and had some good information not just for a bearded dragon owner, but for someone starting out as a breeder (not me!) because it had tons about building out thing like an incubator, different food choices, raising crickets, etc.

The part I don't agree about in Cryptics comments actually reflect back to my own, in that different people have different opinions about what something is "worth". For me I wish I had this long ago and still am even more glad I have it now! I certainly wasn't writing down a 150 pages worth of material. I have searched forums and poorly written advice for a couple of years. Half of the info you find on the web turns out to be bad. This is like my fifth forum I joined, but currently is the only one left I use.

Back to the book, when I equate time to 32 bucks, for me time is everything which makes this worth much more than I paid. So I say go for it! I bought the book so I could join the crowd and comment on it, but now am glad because I can search through this book on my desktop rather than Google every week (as I always have more and more questions no mater how long I own beardies).

Time is money ;) (someone smarter than me said that once!)

Take care all...

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I enjoy reading books and the internet. I feel their are a lot of knowledgeable keepers out their.

In my opinion, the ultimate bearded dragon husbandry resource, is the bearded dragon itself. I've learned more from them, then I have from any book or forum. They have the answer to every question. The trick is to ask the right question, and to be able to read the answer. They are capable of telling us what they need. We just have to try and understand what they are saying :)

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i was actually very tempted to buy this a couple months ago but i was skeptical...they had it for sale in petsmart and i flipped through the pages and it seemed pretty good...ill buy it once im done with my own