• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Questions about my dragons health

Mal005

Bearded Dragon Egg
I need someone who can answer some questions concerning my bearded dragons health. I'm starting to become very worried and would like help. Thank you.

StinkyLizrd

Bearded Dragon Egg
What’s your concern? Go full detail. Enclosure Setup, Basking Spot Temp, Cool Side Temp, UVB?, Substrate? Are you dusting his/her greens/protein?

Mal005

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thats probably the biggest issue, her diet. I will admit that I came into the bearded dragon community with little knowledge of what I was doing, so I have made a few errors. I do put her superworms in a calcium powder, but she wont eat anything else but superworms. We have tried greens, fruits, veggies, she has no interest. The only plant she likes is dandelion flowers, which only produce at a certain time of the year. She has the normal light fixtures, her basking buld amd infared heat bulb, then has her uvb strip light. She has a eco carpet for her substrate. She acts very lathargic but still has lots of spunk and likes to explore when out of her cage or outside duting summer. I just want to fix anything that I can to have her live a happier and healthier life. Thank you for listening and please help me out if you can. I don't have the money for a vet at the moment. Also she does not poop often, but when she does it looks healthy. I give her baths every so often, trying to make it once a week. She eats every other day 12 superworms. After she eats, I spray water into her mouth until she turns away.

Mal005

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thats probably the biggest issue, her diet. I will admit that I came into the bearded dragon community with little knowledge of what I was doing, so I have made a few errors. I do put her superworms in a calcium powder, but she wont eat anything else but superworms. We have tried greens, fruits, veggies, she has no interest. The only plant she likes is dandelion flowers, which only produce at a certain time of the year. She has the normal light fixtures, her basking buld amd infared heat bulb, then has her uvb strip light. She has a eco carpet for her substrate. She acts very lathargic but still has lots of spunk and likes to explore when out of her cage or outside duting summer. I just want to fix anything that I can to have her live a happier and healthier life. Thank you for listening and please help me out if you can. I don't have the money for a vet at the moment. Also she does not poop often, but when she does it looks healthy. I give her baths every so often, trying to make it once a week. She eats every other day 12 superworms. After she eats, I spray water into her mouth until she turns away.
Don't know the temps, anywhere from 80°-90° basking temp and room temperature on the other. We built her enclosure out of plexiglass and wood and it is 4ft long, 2ft wide, and 2ft tall. She likes to sit in one spot until I forcefully move her (to go outside or eat).

StinkyLizrd

Bearded Dragon Egg
is she a juvenile or an adult? First step is to get a perfect setup. Do your research to find the perfect temp. I recommend a:

18in ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Fluorescent
75-150watt Basking Bulb

The UVB light should light up most of her enclosure. The UVB is the most important piece for a healthy dragon. It’s what helps them digest and grow to be healthy dragons. UVB should at least be 6inches away from her. Not too far or else she won’t absorb the UVB Rays.

The basking spot needs to be between 105-110°F for a Juvenile and 100-105° for an Adult. The wattage depends on the distance from the basking spot. I have a 100watt and her basking spot is at 103°F around 8-9 inches from the bulb. If I were to get a 75watt bulb that’s 8-9 inches away, then my temp will probably be 90-100°. You’ll have to find a sweet spot for the basking spot. Either raise your Beardie up or down, or get yourself a stronger bulb.

Make sure you have an ACCURATE thermometer that’ll read these temps. These are EXTREMELY important. Now that you have the Hot Side done, the cool side (opposite side of her tank) is the side your Beardie gets to relax in case she gets too hot. If I remember correctly, it’s should be between 80°-85°.

All of these lights should be on for a minimum of 12 hours. They need sleep just as much as we do. Mine turn off at 7:30pm and turn on at 8:30am. Sometimes they’ll want to fall asleep earlier than 7:30 but that’s okay, it can be tiring being a Beardie. At night, temps can drop lower, around the 70s. Lowest you want it is 70°F. Nothing lower. If it does, you’ll need a ceramic heater that turns on at night.

Now the diet is the 2nd important step. Juveniles need to eat 70% Protein and 30% Greens/Fruits. Adults need 70% Greens/Fruits and 30% Protein. Start by feeding them mealworms, crickets, or Dubia until they get full. Do introduce greens at an early age so by the time they’re adults, they’ll love to eat them. There’s many greens they can eat, but make sure you look up what they CAN and CANT eat. Make sure you dust the Greens or Bugs with calcium at least 3 times a week and Multivitamins twice a week. It’s a CRUCIAL step for a healthy lofe

If your Beardie is new to her home, she will stress and maybe not want to eat. Let her settle in for a week or two so she can be familiar with her surroundings. She might not want to eat because of the conditions of her enclosure (improper heat, uvb, etc).

I might’ve missed a few things, so consider the things above and make sure to do more research. I have 2 Beardies that are 6 and 5 years old and they’re perfectly happy and healthy. If you have any questions, ask away right here! Hope this helps and I wish the best to you and your dragon!

Mal005

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you, this is very helpful! I got her off craigslist when she was 6 months, and now she is 3 years old, will be 4 in September. I didn't introduce too many plants to her when she was younger and I admit that that was a HUGE error. Now she will not eat anything but superworms and is very lathargic. I want to be able to help her become healthier if possible. Her UVB strip is 18 inches and is 2 feet above her basking area. The lamp went out a month ago and I just recieved the new one a few days ago. I know that the UVB is extremely important so I hope she will be okay. She also has not shed in a while. I will order a thermometer to get some accurate readings. I have a 250watt basking bulb about 7 inches away from her basking area, and I recently got her a 100watt ceramic heat bulb to hopefully increase the temperature of her cage. My father likes to keep the house very cold, especially during summer, and having my bedroom in the basement doesn't help. But if you have any tips on how I can correct her diet, please let me know! I have tried mustard greens, squash (which she used to eat very often, but not anymore), cucumber (for hydration), and watermelon, and she used to eat those well up until she was around 2 1/2-3 years old. Ive rolled up her greens to look like worms, wiggled her veggies, and she will attack them. But after she tastes what it is, she closes her eyes and wont respond to them anymore. Again, please if you have any tips, do let me know! Thank you so much for helping me, I really appreciate it and hopefully so will my girl, Ember!