• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question regarding heating at night

ladylizard

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi guys

I've found a lot of conflicting info on this so I thought I would post a thread, apologies if this has already been posted before. Should I be heating my dragon at night? Although I live in a hot & humid place, due to a disability i need to keep my house air-conditioned, so at night it is typically 18-20c here (65-68f). My dragon has a ceramic heat emitter, should i be leaving this on 24/7? He's been spending a lot of time in his hide lately, I originally thought it might be because he is shedding, but now i'm thinking the temperature at night could possibly be making him go into brumation.

Thank you!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You only need to heat your dragon at night if it's tank temp drops below 65 degrees. Ideally you want to keep it between 65-70 degrees Fahrenheit. The CHE doesn't need to be on all day, you should have a white basking light that gets your temps into the proper range during the day.

Coyotestarkiller

Bearded Dragon Egg
My house is constantly in the 60s, highest it gets is about 68F. Just moving things around for about 10 minutes during the day dropped my beardies tank temps 20 degrees (this was before I brought him home) but I also live in the PNW. So I bought a timer power strip, I use just the ceramic heater at night (which keeps his tank the PERFECT temp and he slept his first night in the dark so well, I was so happy) and have his UVB and basking light on during the day, without the ceramic heater. Although we have very different climates, I hope that helps.