• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question on lighting for new enclosure

Momofadragon

Hatchling Dragon
I have attached a couple pics of the finished enclosure. It’s 4ft tall, 5ft wide. How strong of uv bulb would be necessary? I read a lot about the t5, but I’m not sure it will be strong enough to reach the floor of the enclosure. She’s not in this yet but I’m hoping by the end of the week after the finishing touches and another level added she will be in it. Thank you!

Attachments

• 40AF97D3-EE83-45CA-936B-1B3E6C0D1077.jpeg
    40AF97D3-EE83-45CA-936B-1B3E6C0D1077.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • 4358B5D4-0295-4594-9108-77DE434F5404.jpeg
    4358B5D4-0295-4594-9108-77DE434F5404.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
I know Sadie is the gal for this but I’m pretty sure as you have the shelf area (if this will be used for basking) then the t5 would need to be 12-15 inches from the area he is basking! If the shelf is closer than that then a t8 (not sure of distance im sure Sadie will confirm). it’s a beautiful enclosure but i would say very tall and you might have trouble getting the temperature gradient right, I am very new to this and just assuming, I would also be worried about a fall from that height but im sure I will be corrected if this is not an issue lol.
Ps love how you are inside, cool pic x

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have attached a couple pics of the finished enclosure. It’s 4ft tall, 5ft wide. How strong of uv bulb would be necessary? I read a lot about the t5, but I’m not sure it will be strong enough to reach the floor of the enclosure. She’s not in this yet but I’m hoping by the end of the week after the finishing touches and another level added she will be in it. Thank you!
You need a T 5 the only thing is distance would need to be 12-15 inches so I would go w/ the Arcadia 14% bulb --- they require a higher distance -- distance for a the 14% bulb needs to be at least 17-18 inches from basking decor piece -- 24 maximum inches -- so depending on where you put the UVB figure those distances I posted -- I would recommend the Arcadia 14 % bulb and a fixture for half the tank -- so a 30" fixture --- no longer the 14% bulb is pretty strong so you want room for her / him to be able to get out from the rays w/ out having to hide from the UVB ---