• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

PVC V.S. GLASS

Woodsaw

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am looking to upgrade my dragon's terrarium. Is PVC a bad move? Should I stick with glass terrariums? Someone at my local reptile store told me that PVC terrariums get too humid for bearded dragons. Fact? Or fiction?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am looking to upgrade my dragon's terrarium. Is PVC a bad move? Should I stick with glass terrariums? Someone at my local reptile store told me that PVC terrariums get too humid for bearded dragons. Fact? Or fiction?
I have two Zen Habitats that are made out of PVC and I do not have a issue w/ humidity- the humidity levels depend on the climate you live in-- glass are very heavy and can be hard to keep heated -- again that can depend on the area you live and where you have your tank - if you keep it in a warm room it will stay warmer -- you dont want it on the floor too drafty and cold --- please dont listen to the pet store people -- they often give bad advice ---

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
I live in Canada, and have a glass tank,
Pro, very easy to clean, made my own lid to suit my lights,
Cons glass is worst heat insulator, (so i wrapped 3 sides with Styrofoam) not pretty but I'm going to make it a wood surround as well!
I used glass because I already owned a 120 gallon tank when i rescued this guy!
I did have trouble with humidity before i put the new lid on,! Canada in summer deadly humid but if you are buying new, don't buy the kits from pets store, better to source your lights and accessories separate. Have fun, i enjoy looking at my tank, so it's more for me, but rusty loves it too.

Woodsaw

Bearded Dragon Egg
I live in Canada, and have a glass tank,
Pro, very easy to clean, made my own lid to suit my lights,
Cons glass is worst heat insulator, (so i wrapped 3 sides with Styrofoam) not pretty but I'm going to make it a wood surround as well!
I used glass because I already owned a 120 gallon tank when i rescued this guy!
I did have trouble with humidity before i put the new lid on,! Canada in summer deadly humid but if you are buying new, don't buy the kits from pets store, better to source your lights and accessories separate. Have fun, i enjoy looking at my tank, so it's more for me, but rusty loves it too.
Thanks for your input! I appreciate the information!

Woodsaw

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have two Zen Habitats that are made out of PVC and I do not have a issue w/ humidity- the humidity levels depend on the climate you live in-- glass are very heavy and can be hard to keep heated -- again that can depend on the area you live and where you have your tank - if you keep it in a warm room it will stay warmer -- you dont want it on the floor too drafty and cold --- please dont listen to the pet store people -- they often give bad advice ---
Thank you! I was looking at Zen habitats last night. I think my mind is made up on getting one now. I've been slowly realizing that pet store employees don't really know that much about bearded dragons.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you! I was looking at Zen habitats last night. I think my mind is made up on getting one now. I've been slowly realizing that pet store employees don't really know that much about bearded dragons.
Yes here a couple of pics of mine -- get the PVC one they are light weight

Attachments

• IMG_20210920_080952243.jpg
    IMG_20210920_080952243.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Hiccup 6-26-21.jpg
    Hiccup 6-26-21.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 27