• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Puffy Neck

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello everyone
Its been a while but this summer has been a whirlwind of work and school work. Anyway,
I have noticed that my dragons beard is getting longer and puffy at the bottom near his throat.
Do dragons make fat deposits in their necks also like they do with tails? I touched it yesterday and it seemed like a soft mass of fat. His eating, sleeping, pooping has not really changed and I have had him since Jan. of this year. He was a small critter when I got him from Pet Smart.
Thanks for your help.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
more than likely it is just natural growth. Some dragons develop something very similar to a "double chin". its the area that they store food in as they are eating but before swallowing. Hince why a dragon can eat 40-50 insects within a few minutes lol. A picture will confirm it but I am fairly certain its natural.

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks guys. I knew you would ask for pics so I took some after bathtime with my cell. I will post them tonight. Thanks again ;D

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
IMG01547.jpg

IMG01546.jpg

IMG01548.jpg

IMG01552.jpg

His beard did go back down as evidenced in pics but I still wanted yall to look at it when it was puffy

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
he looks fine. Although he may have been holding food stuffs of some kind or building pressure for an eye pop.
I wouldn't worry.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What's an eye pop?
If it means Eye bulging . . . it really looks scary. When Pogie did this I absolutely freaked out. But they do it before a shed to stretch the skin around the eyes....

P also has that puffiness on her beard. Mostly its just loose skin (Looks like a sharpei LOL), and sometimes she moves her jaw then it looks like on your pics. Is it permanently like that?

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
No the last pic is what his beard normally looks like when he is not giving me the evil eye and black beard-lol. Wow I learn more about bearded dragons everyday. an eye pop...wow

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
LOL yeah scary stuff. Heres a link to another post with some pics of what it looks like :eek: http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/eyebulging/?page=1 the pics are on the second page.

Here are some pics of Pogie and her loose skin / puffy skin in her beard area. Does yours look similar ? (btw dont mean to hijack - just comparisson pics)

IMG_3154s-1.jpg
IMG_3153s-1.jpg
Photo0077-1.jpg