• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Proper UVB for Zen Enclosure

TallJRock

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just got my new Zen Enclosure and am setting it up for my Juvenile Beardie. I bought the 36" Reptisun Fixture and am mounting it inside with some chain to hang about 2-4 inches from the screen crossbars. The fixture came with the T5 5.0 bulb but as I have been doing my research most would agree that I need to upgrade to the 10.0 bulb. Is this accurate? Her main basking spot will sit 10-13" off the ground. Also, I am debating whether a 100w basking or 150w. I do have ceramic on opposite side because I keep my house too cool at night. Thanks for any advice!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just got my new Zen Enclosure and am setting it up for my Juvenile Beardie. I bought the 36" Reptisun Fixture and am mounting it inside with some chain to hang about 2-4 inches from the screen crossbars. The fixture came with the T5 5.0 bulb but as I have been doing my research most would agree that I need to upgrade to the 10.0 bulb. Is this accurate? Her main basking spot will sit 10-13" off the ground. Also, I am debating whether a 100w basking or 150w. I do have ceramic on opposite side because I keep my house too cool at night. Thanks for any advice!
Place your ceramic heat emitter try 100 watt I use that wattage for my Zen keeps it around 70 at night on top of screen center of the tank it will warm the whole tank - basking distance for uvb should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- and yes you want the 10.0 T 5 or the Arcadia 12% bulb same distance and very good bulb

TallJRock

Bearded Dragon Egg
Place your ceramic heat emitter try 100 watt I use that wattage for my Zen keeps it around 70 at night on top of screen center of the tank it will warm the whole tank - basking distance for uvb should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- and yes you want the 10.0 T 5 or the Arcadia 12% bulb same distance and very good bulb
Thanks much, kind of what I thought. I will try the 100w and if it doesn't quite get the temp up where she likes it, I will just upgrade.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks much, kind of what I thought. I will try the 100w and if it doesn't quite get the temp up where she likes it, I will just upgrade.
You do not want temps higher than 75 at night - dragons like cool and dark -

TallJRock

Bearded Dragon Egg
20220306_174433.jpg
Update and thanks for the advice. I ended up using a 150 watt basking because her basking spot was not getting quite hot enough. I have been monitoring and the basking area is staying right around 100 and in the 80s on the cool side. I have been experimenting with not using the heat emitter and the night temps seem just fine without. She eats and poops very well and the zen mat makes it so easy for spot cleaning. She has more of a challenge chasing her food down, which I think she enjoys in the larger enclosure. I am attaching a couple pics of the finished set up.
20220301_095707.jpg