• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Proper UVA/UVB Lighting for 40 Gallon

COURTNEY KRUEGER

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello!
I am new here and would appreciate any advice people have on the size and fixtures I should be using for my 40 gallon tank. I've seen a lot of posts about T5 and T8 10.0 bulbs, can somebody explain what this means? Also, am I understanding correctly that these should be mounted inside the tank, as the rays cannot reach through the screen?
Thanks for any advice!!

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
t5 and t8 refer to the strength of the uvb from the bulb. t5 is stronger, and with a reflector hood, it is ok to mount over a screen. t8 must be mounted under the screen, or not enough UVB will get through to the beardie. I prefer t5, even mounted within her tank. You want reptisun t5 10.0 TUBE or Arcadia t5 12% tube. Make sure you have a reflector hood that is rated for a t5 tube (they often come with a 5.0 tube. This is not sufficient for a beardie). You want the UVB to cover at LEAST 1/2 the tank. 3/4 or more is good. Make sure they have hides they can get under to get out of the UVB, if wanted.

If any of this doesn't make sense let me know!

COURTNEY KRUEGER

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the quick reply! That makes sense! I currently have a t8 bulb and have just been leaving the lid up while I am home and setting the light across the tank. I will have to mount it inside or upgrade for while I am gone though. Thanks again!!