• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

pregnant or chubby?

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
can dragons produce eggs without being fertilized? I am wondering if I am looking at a pregnant female or if (as my hubby says) she just got fat?!
I know that there was no chance of being bred!

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, female dragons can produce eggs without bumping & grinding with a male. If u can feel lumps in her belly then u will need 2 set up a laybox with a moist sand & soil mix. If the female feels she has no place 2 lay she can become egg bound which is very unhealthy for her & can in some cases be deadly. Keep an eye on her & keep us posted.

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yes, female dragons can produce eggs without bumping & grinding with a male. If u can feel lumps in her belly then u will need 2 set up a laybox with a moist sand & soil mix. If the female feels she has no place 2 lay she can become egg bound which can b very unhealthy for her & could in some cases be deadly. Keep an eye on her & keep us posted.
just to be sure...are the lumps going to be very defined? by that i mean..will it be obvious when i feel them?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
just to be sure...are the lumps going to be very defined? by that i mean..will it be obvious when i feel them?
Yes, if she is developing eggs u will be able 2 feel them & they can be visible as well.

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yes, if she is developing eggs u will be able 2 feel them & they can be visible as well.
hmm....i am just not sure at this point. one time i feel her,and think; yep, those are eggs. but the next i doubt myself.
when she is just laying on the floor, her sides look like there's eggs--maybe. she looks like she swallowed grapes.
she also has a double chin now too.
(this is still the dragon i am "babysitting" and they said she laid 3 eggs right by her food dish. didn't try to dig a hole or anything).
I am going to put together a lay box today. she what she thinks of it! I will also post pics later, that will be better than my poor descriptions!

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So here are some pics of Turtle! The great debate is on in our house. Split right down the middle; half the house thinks she's likely pregnant. the other half thinks she is just getting fat. When i feel down her sides, I am wondering if it is just the edges of the rib bones that I feel.
DSC_0008 (Small).JPG
DSC_0010 (Small).JPG
DSC_0013 (Small).JPG

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Cant really tell from those pics, but she is a lovely looking dragon. If she has eggs you will defo be able to feel them, will feel like lots of 'lumps' in her tummy, it wont just be the sides you will feel them either, it will be all over her tummy.
We could only see our girls eggs when she was nearly ready to lay, but could feel them, think that because she was very young and only laid 14 eggs.

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Cant really tell from those pics, but she is a lovely looking dragon. If she has eggs you will defo be able to feel them, will feel like lots of 'lumps' in her tummy, it wont just be the sides you will feel them either, it will be all over her tummy.
We could only see our girls eggs when she was nearly ready to lay, but could feel them, think that because she was very young and only laid 14 eggs.
thanks! i will just keep "rubbin her tummy"! I had thought a few weeks ago that she might be when she started putting on some weight. for those couple weeks she looked like she had swallowed a bunch of grapes. then she started putting on weight on her neck, face and well, everywhere. she had been acting strange too...nothing specific really, just different for Her. now she seems as normal as ever, just lazier.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I know I don't know much but.... Scarlet laid eggs last Saturday morning and there were NO visible bumps or anything on her prior to this. It was a total shock to me when I walked in and saw them in her cage. So it's not always obvious. I had done so much general BD research before we brought her home and in doing so found a lot of info on egg laying and saw pictures of what the females look like before they lay. Knowing I was getting a female I took all of this very serious. Scarlet looked smooth and lanky even right before she laid them. Just wanted to point this out. I am a very, very new (2 week) BD owner and am still learning myself, I am not trying to discredit anything that was said regarding this topic, just wanted to share my personal experience.

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
That how we all learn, by each others experiences. We have had our dragons for a few years now and are always learning new things. I feel when you have this type of animal it is a constant learning exercise :D

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
That how we all learn, by each others experiences. We have had our dragons for a few years now and are always learning new things. I feel when you have this type of animal it is a constant learning exercise :D
I just do not want anybody to think I am trying to be a know it all as I am far, far from it. But I know what I know :)