• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Possibly Coming out of brumation

Damienne17

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all, my boy Elvarg was trying to brumate for quite a while, but since he's under a year I did try to prevent it for a few months. Finally he decided he was adamant about brumation so I let him go through the process. I did do a fecal and a weight beforehand. Woke him up yesterday for a weight (he'd been brumating for roughly 2 weeks) and accidentally woke him up. He was eyeing me but staying in his hide, so today I gave him some salad and left him be. He came out, ate, and basked for a few hours so I took him out for a little play and a bath and put him back in. He pretty much immediately went back into his hides:(
I hope I wasn't too quick to feed him.
His lights are good, 4x2x2 tank with a 3' arcadia light on top. Temps around 100-105 on hot side, around 85-90 on cool side.
Anyone have any pointers on what to expect when coming out of brumation? Will he possibly go back down since I accidentally woke him up? He did seem like he was coming out of it. Is it normal for the first few days to only come out for a few hours? P.s. he looks very healthy and hasn't lost weight through the brumation :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all, my boy Elvarg was trying to brumate for quite a while, but since he's under a year I did try to prevent it for a few months. Finally he decided he was adamant about brumation so I let him go through the process. I did do a fecal and a weight beforehand. Woke him up yesterday for a weight (he'd been brumating for roughly 2 weeks) and accidentally woke him up. He was eyeing me but staying in his hide, so today I gave him some salad and left him be. He came out, ate, and basked for a few hours so I took him out for a little play and a bath and put him back in. He pretty much immediately went back into his hides:(
I hope I wasn't too quick to feed him.
His lights are good, 4x2x2 tank with a 3' arcadia light on top. Temps around 100-105 on hot side, around 85-90 on cool side.
Anyone have any pointers on what to expect when coming out of brumation? Will he possibly go back down since I accidentally woke him up? He did seem like he was coming out of it. Is it normal for the first few days to only come out for a few hours? P.s. he looks very healthy and hasn't lost weight through the brumation :)
The Arcadia is a 12% or a 14 % bulb -- if its a 12 % bulb it needs to go into the tank - approx 12-15 inches directly above basking decor -- if its the 14 % bulb it needs to be strapped to the top of the screen w/ a distance of 17-18 inches directly above basking decor -- I have used both bulbs -- the height of the tank is too high for UVB's to sit on top of the screen

Damienne17

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hmm I actually thought it would be better on top, since I have lots of tall things for him to climb on, so he can get within 12" of it. It is a t5 (and that's the recommended minimum)
This is a brand new bulb. I had the reptisun 10.0 t5 hanging inside a few inches lowered, but worried it wasn't enough and was worried that might have been part of the problem why he went into brumation. (We also had several power outages so that likely had a big contribution)
Anyways, just wanting to get more info on if it's normal for him to slowly ease out of the brumation cycle. (Was awake yesterday but stayed in his hut, and today basked for a few hours and ate then went back into his hut after his bath)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm I actually thought it would be better on top, since I have lots of tall things for him to climb on, so he can get within 12" of it. It is a t5 (and that's the recommended minimum)
This is a brand new bulb. I had the reptisun 10.0 t5 hanging inside a few inches lowered, but worried it wasn't enough and was worried that might have been part of the problem why he went into brumation. (We also had several power outages so that likely had a big contribution)
Anyways, just wanting to get more info on if it's normal for him to slowly ease out of the brumation cycle. (Was awake yesterday but stayed in his hut, and today basked for a few hours and ate then went back into his hut after his bath)
The screen blocks 30% of the rays-- I would put it in the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches from basking decor--

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, will do.
See if that changes behavior-- either way it's gonna benefit him in the long run-- keep him hydrated and I would get a weight on him now - keep track he should not lose a lot of weight if he is there's a issue-- mine have been really lazy not eating much and basking under the basking light w/ uvb off and on-- bouncing back and forth between the 2--

Damienne17

Bearded Dragon Egg
See if that changes behavior-- either way it's gonna benefit him in the long run-- keep him hydrated and I would get a weight on him now - keep track he should not lose a lot of weight if he is there's a issue-- mine have been really lazy not eating much and basking under the basking light w/ uvb off and on-- bouncing back and forth between the 2--

He's been in full fledged brumation (sleeping 100% of the time) and just woke up. He weighs the same as when he went to sleep. I accidentally woke him when I was trying to get a weight.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He's been in full fledged brumation (sleeping 100% of the time) and just woke up. He weighs the same as when he went to sleep. I accidentally woke him when I was trying to get a weight.
Ok well thats good to know --- what about hydration? He should not brumate longer than 3 months tops -

Damienne17

Bearded Dragon Egg
And he seemed to be doing well when he did come out today. He ate, basked for a few hours, alert. I took him out for a bit and he played. Just went back to bed right after his bath.

Damienne17

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok well thats good to know --- what about hydration? He should not brumate longer than 3 months tops -

Was pretty short. He was in a semi brumation state for a few weeks, then slept for 2 weeks straight. I got him up a week ago too for a bath and a weight but he went right back to sleep that time.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Was pretty short. He was in a semi brumation state for a few weeks, then slept for 2 weeks straight. I got him up a week ago too for a bath and a weight but he went right back to sleep that time.
Ok well just keep an eye on him and let him do his thing ---