• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pleeasse Help!!

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So you have 2 lamps for it?

Bearded dragons need what's called a temperature gradient in their enclosure. A hot side for basking and a cool side for relaxing.

For lighting; you will need a basking lamp; and a UVB lamp; and depending on your room temperatures you may need whats called a ceramic heat emitter or (CHE).

Hot Side:
The basking temperatures will need to be between 105-110 degrees F for a baby and 95-105 for an adult. (You can find some good information in this post for basking information; a halogen flood bulb will provide a nice even distribution of heat light for basking.)

Cool Side:
Needs to be around 75-80 degrees

UVB Light:
This is a must and with an enclosure that has a mesh screen top the tube will be able to penetrate through. It is a necessity as well; it aids with digestion and growth; as well as many other health benefits.

Technically I have 3 lamps; 1 UVB, 1 heat, 1 CHE

reneeiv

Hatchling Dragon
For lighting; you will need a basking lamp; and a UVB lamp; and depending on your room temperatures you may need whats called a ceramic heat emitter or (CHE).
Don't quite understand why a ceramic heat emitter or (CHE) basking light are needed. Could you clarify, please.

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Don't quite understand why a ceramic heat emitter or (CHE) basking light are needed. Could you clarify, please.
CHE is not needed or required unless your temperatures inside the enclosure drop below 65 degrees F. It basically emits non-lighted heat. It helps keep the enclosure warm.

Your dragon is a cold blooded animal and requires outside heat to metabolize minerals and nutrients to survive.

Basking light is required because it is their main source of heat; and helps them digest their meals; and keep them healthy.

With out the appropriate heat and nutrition a bearded dragon will more or less wilt and get MBD metabolic bone disease....

They are necessary to keep them healthy and happy.

Basically for reptiles you need to recreate their natural habitats environment...not aesthetically necessarily but more so temperature and radiant wise.

You need to create the sun in their enclosure; the sun gives them naturally UVA and UVB. And that was the basking bulb and UVB lights will do in your enclosure.

reneeiv

Hatchling Dragon
CHE is not needed or required unless your temperatures inside the enclosure drop below 65 degrees F. It basically emits non-lighted heat. It helps keep the enclosure warm.

Basking light is required because it is their main source of heat; and helps them digest their meals; and keep them healthy.
You couldn't use the CHE as basking light?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
@reneeiv if you haven't already taken a look at the links below several of our signature lines (below comment) there is a link you can click on that will take you to a post with new comer information covering care of beardies that may be of assistance..it goes over most everything you need.

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I use a basking light that also emits UVA, which isn't required. I use a UVB and a CHE so I essentially use three different bulbs. Two during the day and one at night. It seems like a lot especially since we use an aquarium right now and don't have spots to hang or fasten our lights to, but we built a cheap wooden lamp stand that holds all three lights. I just switch the basking and the CHE. The UVB runs the length of his tank and just gets turned on and off with the timer.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Bobbi, in answer to your earlier questions about UV and glass. The front face glass is designed to block all UVC, but usually no other wavelengths, unless specified. There are some that block UVB specifically (like the EYE ColourArc), but they will say that. As for UVA, all lights produce it to some extent. Normal halogen flood lights produce about the same amount as fluorescent tubes, which is to say not that much. MVB and metal halides produce a really high amount of UVA, which is great, and more closely related to sunlight in that regard.

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Id be happy to help. For the basking area, the easiest is strangely also the cheapest. (That never happens, right?) You can get what you need at any hardware store or order online from Amazon or the like. You can just buy a regular ole lamp like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Plug-110-250V-Screw-Socket-Holder/dp/B00UJ9CJ9W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1460672065&sr=8-3&keywords=light bulb socket and cord

And then use a outdoor halogen floodlight like this:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/93512/PAR-3511F.html

The wattage will depend on the distance from the basking area. If its about a foot or so away then usually a 75 watt will do.

If you want to actually look at them before you buy them, any hardware store will have both these items for maybe a few dollars more.
I got the flood light; I have it in a normal large dome on a rheostat.

I am running heat/spot temp checks right now; over half hour periods; on the different settings.

I'd rather be home with this thing while I figure out the temps; than it just do what ever while I am at work.

Unfortunately I think it's pissing off my dragon; while he's trying to sleep...

This is a HUGE bulb; and dome; so I am expecting the internal heat/basking area temps to be wayyy hotter than that mini halogen.

littlsadie2

Bearded Dragon Egg
Bobbi what habitat do you have? I have the 67 gallon Nat Geo reptile habitat but I am having difficulty finding a solid screen lid for it that will allow the front doors to open. The lid on it has a plastic divider down the middle so if I keep the basking light to close it melts that strip but too far away and I don't get enough heat. Your tank is similar to mine but looks like it has the solid screen lid.

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Bobbi what habitat do you have? I have the 67 gallon Nat Geo reptile habitat but I am having difficulty finding a solid screen lid for it that will allow the front doors to open. The lid on it has a plastic divider down the middle so if I keep the basking light to close it melts that strip but too far away and I don't get enough heat. Your tank is similar to mine but looks like it has the solid screen lid.
I'm using a 40gal breeder tank right now. I know Amazon sells screen lids.

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Actually the temps are very mild; It is on High and just about right; I think I could have gotten a higher wattage and been OK using the rheostat.

They are at appropriate temps though; better light beam though