• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pleeasse Help!!

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
@Elders Bayne doesnt get any traction in the sink. He'd just slide around and it scared him so we used the cloth. Now when he's shedding and gets a bath, he uses the cloth to rub his belly on. Its so cute to watch. He rolls around and splashes.
@PatsyB I posted in my Veggies thread in Diet about Baynes bath in the tub. Not sure if you've commented/seen that post.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Glad you got it sorted. Just as a side note going forward, those reptile basking bulbs are simply halogen flood lights. They literally are no different than the ones you buy in the hardware store, except the reptile ones are at least twice the price and come in much prettier boxes. ;) Next time it burns out, simply go to your hardware store and pick up a PAR38 outdoor halogen flood lamp, with the same wattage as your basking light. I use the outdoor version as they just seem a little more sturdy. Indoor halogens (which is what reptile 'basking' lights are) have thinner glass and tend to burn out more quickly in enclosures in my experience.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello,

I know it sounds Silly; but I use this:
http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Reptile...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

This thing is insane...so tiny and my basking temps:

@6" = 130
@8" = 115
@10" = 105

Those are distance from bulb.

It uses tiny hologen bulbs.

I use this with a ceramic heat emitter and my temp gradient is very nice (even in an Air Conditioned room)

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

I use a 40Gal. Front Open Mesh top terrarium.
I use Alluminum Foil to cover 98% of the mesh; I leave a small portion open to ventilate the air; provides fresh air; while keeping heat in.

Sorry, hate to double post but just noticed this too.

Elder, for the small babies and juveniles these might work if its positioned far enough away, but for adult dragons you want a larger light with a wider beam angle. These lights create very small spots of heat that quickly drop away in temperature as you move away from that intense pin spot area. This can lead to spot burns on your dragons back. Because just a small area will heat up quickly, the dragon will continue to sit under the light until the rest of the body gets to the right temperature. That can be what leads to burns. You want to create a large enough basking area that the entire body of the dragon can be heated evenly all at once. This is easiest with one or two wide angle/faced (PAR36-38) halogen floodlight bulbs positioned far enough away.

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sorry, hate to double post but just noticed this too.

Elder, for the small babies and juveniles these might work if its positioned far enough away, but for adult dragons you want a larger light with a wider beam angle. These lights create very small spots of heat that quickly drop away in temperature as you move away from that intense pin spot area. This can lead to spot burns on your dragons back. Because just a small area will heat up quickly, the dragon will continue to sit under the light until the rest of the body gets to the right temperature. That can be what leads to burns. You want to create a large enough basking area that the entire body of the dragon can be heated evenly all at once. This is easiest with one or two wide angle/faced (PAR36-38) halogen floodlight bulbs positioned far enough away.

Thanks for the advice; I am glad you told me; rather than finding out later the hard way and at the expense of the animal.

I am not very good at the lighting; could you please assist me with what basking setup you are utilizing?

Point me in the right direction where I could purchase a proper lamp and bulb?

Just some additional information; I really don't have at this time anything to raid the lamp; I am using a mesh top front opening enclosure;

Your advice and assistance is greatly appreciated; thanks again.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Id be happy to help. For the basking area, the easiest is strangely also the cheapest. (That never happens, right?) You can get what you need at any hardware store or order online from Amazon or the like. You can just buy a regular ole lamp like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Plug-110-250V...65&sr=8-3&keywords=light+bulb+socket+and+cord

And then use a outdoor halogen floodlight like this:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/93512/PAR-3511F.html

The wattage will depend on the distance from the basking area. If its about a foot or so away then usually a 75 watt will do.

If you want to actually look at them before you buy them, any hardware store will have both these items for maybe a few dollars more.

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Id be happy to help. For the basking area, the easiest is strangely also the cheapest. (That never happens, right?) You can get what you need at any hardware store or order online from Amazon or the like. You can just buy a regular ole lamp like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Plug-110-250V-Screw-Socket-Holder/dp/B00UJ9CJ9W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1460672065&sr=8-3&keywords=light bulb socket and cord

And then use a outdoor halogen floodlight like this:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/93512/PAR-3511F.html

The wattage will depend on the distance from the basking area. If its about a foot or so away then usually a 75 watt will do.

If you want to actually look at them before you buy them, any hardware store will have both these items for maybe a few dollars more.
Hey thanks for the information; I really appreciate it. I need to figure out a way of mounting that kind of bulb as right now I am using this set up:

20160311_065147.jpg

That is sitting on a dresser and there is no hooks to hang anything...

Some planning to do; thank you again for your advice; if you have any more regarding any ideas that could help me with my configuration it would always be appreciated; thanks again!

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Curiosity strikes again! Bayne and I had another bulb incident and this time I figured out that the power strip with the timer we were using wasn't a surge protector so we bought one of them and replaced his bulb with an exo Terra, so far no issues.
With this halogen flood light and bulbs that are like that, that people use....With the glass around those bulbs, is the UV output able to penetrate it or is that similar to window and aquarium glass where it can't? Read a post made by someone on a website I found about this kind of stuff and it made me wonder.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Bobbi, Im not sure exactly what you are asking. Are you asking if the bulb face glass itself is UV blocking? If that is what you are asking, then no it does not. Depending on the bulb, the glass face will be designed with the wavelength/output in mind. Normal halogen bulbs do not emit UVB light, though they do produce some limited UVA light.

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes, that's what I was wondering. I know they don't emit UVB but I was curious about the UVA. The article I was reading was in regards to the ActiveUV I think was the name of it and some like ReptiSun bulbs. The lady stated that she doesn't really see the difference between them and the high output ones. She mentioned something about the glass blocking out the UVA/B just the same as it does with the lower wattage bulbs and just by increasing the wattage, it doesn't necessarily mean the lizard is getting more UVs. I use a Repti 10 HO but it was just an interesting article and got me wondering.

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I use a 100w red night time light for Bayne and until I joined the forum, I didn't know that this was wrong or would bother him. Now that I do know, I've been looking in to CHEs and there are a few things about them I don't quite understand. What wattage bulb am I going to need? Do they come with a thermostat or do I need to buy that separately? When I use the thermostat, do I set it at about 67-68 or right at 65? Also, I've read different things about this - what kind of fixture do I need for one? The National Geographic fixture I have now said CHEs could be used with them, but I've read CHEs need a porcelain fixture?

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I use a 100w red night time light for Bayne and until I joined the forum, I didn't know that this was wrong or would bother him. Now that I do know, I've been looking in to CHEs and there are a few things about them I don't quite understand. What wattage bulb am I going to need? Do they come with a thermostat or do I need to buy that separately? When I use the thermostat, do I set it at about 67-68 or right at 65? Also, I've read different things about this - what kind of fixture do I need for one? The National Geographic fixture I have now said CHEs could be used with them, but I've read CHEs need a porcelain fixture?
These are what I use and it works well; (So far):

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Wire-...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Ceram...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I couldn't find any ceramic heat emitter domes made by Zoo Med. I have to go to Dubuque IA for a pet store and they have Petsmart and Petco. At Petco they had the ceramic heat emitter bulb for $35. They had domes, but not any cage style fixtures. Petsmart only had an "All Living Things" ceramic heat emitter and a National Geographic cage style fixture. I hope I didn't mess up by buying two different brands - hopefully it doesn't matter. I have never heard of nor used All Living Things either. For $43, I hope it works! Made sure the fixture supported CHE and the wattage though so it should be okay. CHE don't need to be hooked up to a thermostat do they? The lady I tried asking (who owns a beardies) had no idea what I was talking about either. Also looked into their beardie tank and was heartbroken by it. They have hatchlings in there with no basking bulb and a red night light. The sides of the tank were all foggy and wet too. Poor babies. I wanted to buy all four and bring them home. [emoji20]

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I couldn't find any ceramic heat emitter domes made by Zoo Med. I have to go to Dubuque IA for a pet store and they have Petsmart and Petco. At Petco they had the ceramic heat emitter bulb for $35. They had domes, but not any cage style fixtures. Petsmart only had an "All Living Things" ceramic heat emitter and a National Geographic cage style fixture. I hope I didn't mess up by buying two different brands - hopefully it doesn't matter. I have never heard of nor used All Living Things either. For $43, I hope it works! Made sure the fixture supported CHE and the wattage though so it should be okay. CHE don't need to be hooked up to a thermostat do they? The lady I tried asking (who owns a beardies) had no idea what I was talking about either. Also looked into their beardie tank and was heartbroken by it. They have hatchlings in there with no basking bulb and a red night light. The sides of the tank were all foggy and wet too. Poor babies. I wanted to buy all four and bring them home. [emoji20]
It truly is a shame that the people who have all the hardware ever needed to make animals as comfortable as possible; end up treating and housing them the worst....pet shops are the worst...I buy from amazon; better prices, reviews, and (I hope not supporting a pet shop)

I really think you are going to be OK with the different brands; the cage style is just open air to prevent back heating which can end up melting parts...so long as the wattage is good; I think you are OK. I do not hook mine up to a thermostat. It keeps my enclosure around 72/75 at night. (I run my AC all day; so I can tell it's doing it's job.

**Edit**

Please be careful around the CHE by the way; they get HOT....mine registers over 600 degrees on the temp gun at certain points.

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My new halogen bulb comes tomorrow; but I don't have an appropriate rheostat yet...I have one that turns the light on and off to regulate internal temps; but not a dimmer switch....I ordered one; but it'll get here on Monday...Unfortunately I need to rest the new lighting setup on top of the mesh so I 100% will need a dimmer for that new bulb...

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Okay, thanks a lot. I was worried about ordering from Amazon with how many issues we've had with our bulbs and having to return them. I'm not really sure how the return policy with Amazon works. I know you have to print off a label but we don't have a printer so I wouldn't be able to do that. I hope all your stuff comes and works out for you. I'm excited to see if Bayne sleeps better tonight without the red light bugging him

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Okay, thanks a lot. I was worried about ordering from Amazon with how many issues we've had with our bulbs and having to return them. I'm not really sure how the return policy with Amazon works. I know you have to print off a label but we don't have a printer so I wouldn't be able to do that. I hope all your stuff comes and works out for you. I'm excited to see if Bayne sleeps better tonight without the red light bugging him
It's funny you wrote that; "I was worried about ordering from Amazon with how many issues we've had with our bulbs and having to return them."

I got my bulb and it was broken; haha; I was able to get a full refund and buy another; they are not very smart to use USPS; bad service. Now I need to wait til tuesday....but it's not a rush to replace this mini halogen lamp.

Ody is still small and he kinda gets out the way if he gets too hot so im not too worried yet; but i'd like to get a proper set up going and have him adjust as soon as possible.

reneeiv

Hatchling Dragon
What about the UV light that was suggested to me at a pet store.

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran