• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pleeasse Help!!

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I got Bayne Feb 1st of this year. Since then I've bought two Zoo Med 100w basking bulbs and one National Geo. 100w basking bulb. All three have burnt out within two weeks! Is it my fixture or the bulbs? I'm about ready to go nuts. The two zoo meds the pet store replaced, but I bought the first one and the national Geo. The pet store is also 30+ miles away from where I live. I'm using a silver dome shaped fixture right now that my sister uses for her snake cage. Do I need to buy one from the pet store??

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In my opinion it's the fixture not handling the wattage, I think going with the dome ones with the ceramic end would be better for the higher watt bulbs.

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Okay, that's what I figured. Thanks. We're on our way to the pet store now. I have a backup heat bulb but its not as high wattage on Bayne now.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I was going to say the same thing. Make sure the fixture can handle the wattage of the bulb. Some fixtures only go up to 75watts.

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
These are what we replaced his old fixture and bulb with:

Screenshot_2016-04-06-00-41-04.png
Screenshot_2016-04-06-00-35-29.png

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I think I have one of those fixtures. I've never used the Nat Geo bulbs though so I don't know how good they are.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've used the bulbs and I've not had any issues with it I've not used the dome. But I tend to lean towards the Exo ones

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The Pet smart and Petco near me doesn't have any Exo. They have Zoo Med, National Geographic or one other weird brand that I've never really heard of. They were out of the Zoo Med fixtures which is why we went with National Geo.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The Pet smart and Petco near me doesn't have any Exo. They have Zoo Med, National Geographic or one other weird brand that I've never really heard of. They were out of the Zoo Med fixtures which is why we went with National Geo.
You are likely going to be ok just keep tabs on your temps and how Bayne acts..

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello,

I know it sounds Silly; but I use this:
http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Reptile...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

This thing is insane...so tiny and my basking temps:

@6" = 130
@8" = 115
@10" = 105

Those are distance from bulb.

It uses tiny hologen bulbs.

I use this with a ceramic heat emitter and my temp gradient is very nice (even in an Air Conditioned room)

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

I use a 40Gal. Front Open Mesh top terrarium.
I use Alluminum Foil to cover 98% of the mesh; I leave a small portion open to ventilate the air; provides fresh air; while keeping heat in.

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Wow, that sounds pretty nice. I actually love this Nat. Geo. Fixture and bulb. I had to actually move it about 8" away from where it use to be because it's so much stronger than the other fixture. Bayne seems to have a ton more energy too. I can't get him to sit still long enough for me to get a good look at his nails to see if they need filed down yet. Guess I'll have to wait until sleepy time, lol!

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
(I renamed my dragon to Odin or Ody (oh-dy) when i am feeling fun)

Any who; he never sits still; lol always trying to climb up my arm; but I am a little iffy about that at his size and the short time we've been together so I just hand hold him for now.

What I mean above is I let him climb all freely wheely and he ended up sky diving 4 ft to the ground and taking off like a rocket into my kitchen before I could catch him again.

So now I am just hand holding him til he gets a little bigger and I know what he's going to do. but i know what you mean about sitting still; hes a ball of electric... lol

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ah, that happened to me one day! Bayne and I were at the kitchen table and he was watching me chop up his veggies and out of no where, he shot across the table off his towel and tried to stop at the edge of the table but it didn't work. He slid off the table right onto the floor. Its about a 3 foot drop. I was so scared I almost cried. Bayne was about 2.5 months old at the time, so not very big at all. He never got hurt, just scared himself. He still doesn't like the table though, lol

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Lol yeah, Ody's a sneaky bugger; so I open the door opposite of where he is in the enclosure because hes got a thing for wanting to come out and party; and im worried hes going to sky dive again.

When he fell I was so worried ....he is so small I am surprised that he didn't get hurt from the fall; (and I have a cat; suuuuuuuuuuper lazy cat wouldn't do anything but i didn't want to take the chance.) so i got to test my reaction skills.

But yeah I just would prefer not having him william wallace out of the enclosure to the floor again so extra steps are in place now.

He shed's soooo often now too; so I just gave him a bath; and am figuring that out; migrated him from a custom tub to the bathroom sink; he doesn't enjoy it too much so I need to get some kind of "dock" so he doesn't flip out...I spent the last 10 minutes with my hand in the sink as a makeshift dock lol....

I am thinking of some kind of turtle dock with those suction cups and putting it in the bathtub and seeing how that goes.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
:) Yea I am Izzy's hand dock while she is in the kitchen sink :) it's kinda cute .

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My sister has a red eared slider and she has this dock that suctions to the glass and floats on top of the water but the weight of the turtle pushes it down into the water so the turtle is still partially submerged. Its cool and might work but not sure a small beardie would weigh enough. Patsy said earlier in the post that she uses some type of log or limb or something. I just put down a cloth and Bayne doesn't mind it anymore

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
This is what i used to use in the bath. It was made for an aquarium but we used to use it for Dexter in her tank. We took it out because crickets used to get into it and we could never get them out. This is Dexter outside taking a bath, she was about 8 months old.
IMG_3725.JPG

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
@PatsyB Is that your main bathing method?? to utilize a separate box? I am kinda fumbling through the bathing....At first I used a custom ghetto tub I made by cutting the side off a 4gal. water jug; but now he grew just enough or has gotten strong enough to jump out of the tub.

Now I use the bathroom sink; however he is not a fan. I see you added a log; I can get something like that; however my sink is not big.

@Bobbi I was going to try the cloth method; perhaps he is not liking the porcelain feeling (slippery)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When Izzy was little I used the bathroom sink it was fun to watch her trying to climb the side like a water treadmill lol She then outgrew that sink and now she gets her baths in the kitchen sink much more room for her. Izzy likes pretty hot water so the sink works better for me so I can drain and refill often as it cools and retains heat nice as it's metal.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
@PatsyB Is that your main bathing method?? to utilize a separate box? I am kinda fumbling through the bathing....At first I used a custom ghetto tub I made by cutting the side off a 4gal. water jug; but now he grew just enough or has gotten strong enough to jump out of the tub.

Now I use the bathroom sink; however he is not a fan. I see you added a log; I can get something like that; however my sink is not big.

@Bobbi I was going to try the cloth method; perhaps he is not liking the porcelain feeling (slippery)
This was just something I could bring her outside in. It was a large drawer for a rolling storage shelf. I actually just put them all in the tub now, not at the same time, so much easier. They poop, I drain and refill it. The log is the resin aquarium branch I was talking about.