• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Logan Branchaud

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys I'm in desperate need for answers. Me and my girlfriend bought our new bearded dragon Toast about 4-5 months ago (That's also his age)
We've done hundreds upon hundreds of hours of research and came to the conclusion that his tiredness is just due to brumation, although brumation is uncommon in baby bearded dragons.
So now we're faced with this issue where our child refuses to eat or really do anything other then sleep, it's been about a month and some since we've seen significant action from him. He used to be really lively ate every day, (Mealworms) and we've tried veggies but he's not the biggest fan especially with being a baby essentially.
His uvb is fine (Research and tons of videos), And it's not our first rodeo, Our previous bearded dragon Benji died of mites because her brother foolishly fed him worms from outside.
We need help, I'm extremely worried and don't want to lose another one.
The tanks temperature is around 90-100 degrees, He has a cool side ofc. We turn the lights off before he goes to bed
We use repti carpet as his substrate, Paper towels when that's not clean enough, He used to get a bath every week, His tank got cleaned every other week, and like I said he ate every morning and had his water bowl filled just enough to where he could sit in it without drowning etc.
I seriously can't tell if it is brumation anymore, We've thought about taking him to the vet but that can be spendy and we want to figure this out like we have in the past
I suggested that we post on a forum and so here I am now.
We've fed him some crickets too from a pet store or online official breeder.
idk, i'm worried and need suggestions, he obviously reacts if he's disturbed such as being tilted over to see if he reacts and he almost completely avoids his light to hide under his things in his tank, the tank is 18x18'' that's all she remembers 18x18x16''
Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.
we really don't want to lost another child, especially after failing to save the previous one.
ty.
(Realizing we have a stickon thermometer and they are inaccurate we are trying to come up with a way to find the temp.)

Logan Branchaud

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please post pics of tank and lighting ---- the tank sounds like its too small but that would not be causing him to not eat ----- you need to go to Petco or Petsmart and get a digital probe thermometer they are $5-- you will also need to get a infrared heat gun from you local home improvement store for like $10-12 -- you will use both -------------- I need to know what your using for UVB --- brand and bulb please - I need to see the tank so I can better help you ---- it sounds like its going to be lighting and the your gonna haft to upgrade your tank to either a 55 gallon or bigger -- but we need to get the lighting in order to get him to eat again -- they will not eat if lighting is off and hes sleeping all the time --- how old is he ? If hes younger than a year he should not be brumating hes to young
She's currently sending me picture, will do in a couple mins, thank you for your hasty reply

Logan Branchaud

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please post pics of tank and lighting ---- the tank sounds like its too small but that would not be causing him to not eat ----- you need to go to Petco or Petsmart and get a digital probe thermometer they are $5-- you will also need to get a infrared heat gun from you local home improvement store for like $10-12 -- you will use both -------------- I need to know what your using for UVB --- brand and bulb please - I need to see the tank so I can better help you ---- it sounds like its going to be lighting and the your gonna haft to upgrade your tank to either a 55 gallon or bigger -- but we need to get the lighting in order to get him to eat again -- they will not eat if lighting is off and hes sleeping all the time --- how old is he ? If hes younger than a year he should not be brumating hes to young

Attachments

• image 1.jpg
    image 1.jpg
    754.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Image 3.jpg
    Image 3.jpg
    847.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Image 4.jpg
    Image 4.jpg
    847.7 KB · Views: 108
  • Image 5.jpg
    Image 5.jpg
    828.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Image 6.jpg
    Image 6.jpg
    508.2 KB · Views: 111
  • image0.png
    image0.png
    670.3 KB · Views: 107

Logan Branchaud

Bearded Dragon Egg
'
Ok good --- sorry I just read he is about 4-5 months old --- please start looking for a bigger tank -- he needs the largest you can afford --- look on craigslist or FB marketwatch for tanks -- try and find one that is 55 gallon or bigger that has doors that open from the front--- if you find one used make sure you sanitize it good before use -- bleach and water etc............... he should be eating as many crickets or roaches as he can in a 10-15 minute time frame plus a salad every morning --- we can figure that out after the lighting in the tank
I sent you picture of everything available, like I SAId though he's very sleepy and refuses to eat. I'll look at buying him a new tank for her if you have any recommendations its appreciated. Here's one more picture

Attachments

• A9039E44-F2F4-46BB-B9D3-B05AB9E153D4.jpeg
    A9039E44-F2F4-46BB-B9D3-B05AB9E153D4.jpeg
    628.2 KB · Views: 109

Logan Branchaud

Bearded Dragon Egg
13 watt bulbs are bad and killers of dragons--- ditch it ---- have had so many people w/ these bulbs having issues like yours -- I wish they would quit selling them--- you can get a 26 watt coil if you want I have not heard anything bad about them but they would need to go approx 6-8 inches from basking and in a dome w/ a reflector -- it is up to you ------------- I go w/ what I know works and what has been said the best ---
13 watt? Are you talking about the uvb bulb? THE BULB THAT IS cylinder like on 3 ends?

Logan Branchaud

Bearded Dragon Egg
13 watt bulbs are bad and killers of dragons--- ditch it ---- have had so many people w/ these bulbs having issues like yours -- I wish they would quit selling them--- you can get a 26 watt coil if you want I have not heard anything bad about them but they would need to go approx 6-8 inches from basking and in a dome w/ a reflector -- it is up to you ------------- I go w/ what I know works and what has been said the best ---
Under his eyes are no dark spots are you sur eit's a uvb problem?

Logan Branchaud

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes -- please get rid of it --- they are no good here is some info on UVB's
Which UVB light should I use?

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
Here is some info on the 26 watt that I have

The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance.
Seeing as you've seen his cage is there any bulbs that you'd recommend? i've gotten the tube one in brain but seeing as you know how small it is is there any bulbs you could link me to buy right now?
I have money to spend on him literally willing to do anything and like I said I have the money to shell out to hopefully get him a new one by tomorrow

Logan Branchaud

Bearded Dragon Egg
You can go to Petsmart or Petco and look for a fixture there - you want one that is 24" or there abouts if you look at my picture of Blazes tank in the media above that is a Zoo Med fixture 24" w/ a Arcadia bulb 14% which you dont need that is why its at the top of his enclosure -- that is a 120 gallon tank --- I am going to down grade to a 12% bulb when I change it out so I can lower the fixture to the 12-15 inches -- anyway look at Petco or Petsmart for the fixture and bulb -- you want the Reptisun bulb either the T 5 or T8 will fit in that fixture its just the distance you need to be proper --- I would look at getting some Repeshy grub pie supposedly Petco sells this or you can make your own in a blender of salads like turnip mustard or collard greens w/ calcium added a sprinkle or two - you need to add insects like crickets or dubia roaches just remember tho you wont be able to use that blender afterwards for you ---- mix w/ water so you can feed in a syringe --- my guess hes dehydrated as well from not eating so you need to get water in him --- how long was it since he ate last --- so it a runny consistency and it doesnt plug your syringe --- I would feed him slow like - use a 3 ml syringe and feed him 3 times per day about 1 ml at a time -- I dont know how long its been since he ate last and you dont want to overwhelm him w/ food all at once
It's been awhile, we're currently dealing with an issue, where he's extremely lethargic and we thought he passed. He didn't flip back over, we're gonna try and get him to eat and get water in his system

Logan Branchaud

Bearded Dragon Egg
He may be too weak to eat now on his own --- get some water in him and I would look at getting him f ASAP ---- small amounts of food ---
We have a syringe and we're feeding him some baby food atm, I'm aware they can't breath but normally he gets ornery and that's how we've kept up with his health recently

Logan Branchaud

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok good --- get your lighting fixed and keep me posted --- once the lighting and temps are in order he should bounce back I am hoping ------ I got a rehome in Sept and the person that had her starved her to death by the time I got her she was on deaths door - I tried for 2 weeks but it was too late all her organs shut down on her ---- it was totally heartbreaking--- I dont know how someone could do that to a poor defenseless dragon
I'M sorry for you loss.. i'm running to our pet store right now to look for a grub pie and a new bulb

Logan Branchaud

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok good --- get your lighting fixed and keep me posted --- once the lighting and temps are in order he should bounce back I am hoping ------ I got a rehome in Sept and the person that had her starved her to death by the time I got her she was on deaths door - I tried for 2 weeks but it was too late all her organs shut down on her ---- it was totally heartbreaking--- I dont know how someone could do that to a poor defenseless dragon
He's passed. I guess we were just too late.

Logan Branchaud

Bearded Dragon Egg
He died???????????????
Yeah. I didn't know a simple shitty bulb could **** everything up.
Thank you for your time.
i'm sorry

NorthernDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys I'm in desperate need for answers. Me and my girlfriend bought our new bearded dragon Toast about 4-5 months ago (That's also his age)
We've done hundreds upon hundreds of hours of research and came to the conclusion that his tiredness is just due to brumation, although brumation is uncommon in baby bearded dragons.
So now we're faced with this issue where our child refuses to eat or really do anything other then sleep, it's been about a month and some since we've seen significant action from him. He used to be really lively ate every day, (Mealworms) and we've tried veggies but he's not the biggest fan especially with being a baby essentially.
His uvb is fine (Research and tons of videos), And it's not our first rodeo, Our previous bearded dragon Benji died of mites because her brother foolishly fed him worms from outside.
We need help, I'm extremely worried and don't want to lose another one.
The tanks temperature is around 90-100 degrees, He has a cool side ofc. We turn the lights off before he goes to bed
We use repti carpet as his substrate, Paper towels when that's not clean enough, He used to get a bath every week, His tank got cleaned every other week, and like I said he ate every morning and had his water bowl filled just enough to where he could sit in it without drowning etc.
I seriously can't tell if it is brumation anymore, We've thought about taking him to the vet but that can be spendy and we want to figure this out like we have in the past
I suggested that we post on a forum and so here I am now.
We've fed him some crickets too from a pet store or online official breeder.
idk, i'm worried and need suggestions, he obviously reacts if he's disturbed such as being tilted over to see if he reacts and he almost completely avoids his light to hide under his things in his tank, the tank is 18x18'' that's all she remembers 18x18x16''
Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.
we really don't want to lost another child, especially after failing to save the previous one.
ty.
(Realizing we have a stickon thermometer and they are inaccurate we are trying to come up with a way to find the temp.)
My beardie is around 6-7 months old and was going through the same experiences you are describing.
Although there was a combination of things going on with him, I thought I would chime in and share.
Bottom line, I took a stool same in to get tested and it came back positive for high levels Coccidia which is a parasite. He was treated with 2 doses of med and then we checked the stool again after. It then came back for more than usual amounts of pinworms and now is needed to be treated for those.
He is very slowly losing weight, but ever so slightly because he is not eating very much at all, so I assist fed him with Raspashy Grub Pie every other day if need be. My vet recommended to add a reptile probiotic once weekly to his salads to help rebuild his gut and promote his appetite.
Another factor that played a problem was his lights.
Make sure you are using a reputable basking bulb and either Reptisun UVB 1.0 light or Arcadia 12% T5 UVB with D3 light. Since changing to better lights, my fella is basking a lot more and is alert and active.
Also, you guy might be dehydrated. Do you give him bathes during the week?
All in all, it sure is a learning experience with these guys and sometimes I wish they could talk to us to let us know exactly what it is they need.. LOL
I am hopefully that my guy will slowly be on his way to recovery and be a happy healthy dragon!