• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pinworms and coccidia treatment

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have sent her a email -- Blaze was on albon and panacur for his parasites and coccidia -- those are the most commonly prescribed -- and he was on them for like 10 days I am thinking - one was a real low dose and I am thinking it was the albon as its pretty strong
here is her reply to the email -- she really needs the numbers from the test to really get a good count of the worms
If that picture depicts the number of coccidia, that isn't very numerous at all
so unless his health is being affected I don't think that he really needs any
medication. Is his weight stable?

It is hard to see the different sizes though, on the picture.

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
here is her reply to the email -- she really needs the numbers from the test to really get a good count of the worms
If that picture depicts the number of coccidia, that isn't very numerous at all
so unless his health is being affected I don't think that he really needs any
medication. Is his weight stable?

It is hard to see the different sizes though, on the picture.
His appetite is awesome, he eats twice a day, 20 roaches total + greens (salad, carrot green + pumpkin not often). He's shedding right now and only body left to shed.
His poop was a bit runny and with luqiud a while ago but I can't say that was diahrea. Now it looks much better. His behavior is really good - he's still a bit scared, but he has started to get use to my existence :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
His appetite is awesome, he eats twice a day, 20 roaches total + greens (salad, carrot green + pumpkin not often). He's shedding right now and only body left to shed.
His poop was a bit runny and with luqiud a while ago but I can't say that was diahrea. Now it looks much better. His behavior is really good - he's still a bit scared, but he has started to get use to my existence :)
Given that response coming from me not her but I have sent a reply w/ your response to her I myself would not give the med-- but I think another opinion from another vet would be in order or continue to watch his behavior given such a harsh drug is not necessary making him sick --- if hes active eating basking and pooping normally why upset that behavior because the meds will -- the vet you saw is that a reptile vet or just a regular vet? Does this vet have experience w/ dragons? Dragons are going to have a limited number of parasites'/ worms in their systems usually a low count that is normal its when the counts get too high for them to control that makes them sick and lethargic not eating etc --- here is a website to find a reptile vet in your area -- I would look and see to get a second opinion but if you can get the test results from that vet -- the numbers are going to help my friend better and she can advise you as to what to do as well -- it is up to you -- the extra liquid hes excreting is just extra water and shows hes hydrated the little runniness could be from something he ate you just dont want the whole poop a puddle of liquid and smelling horrid --

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Given that response coming from me not her but I have sent a reply w/ your response to her I myself would not give the med-- but I think another opinion from another vet would be in order or continue to watch his behavior given such a harsh drug is not necessary making him sick --- if hes active eating basking and pooping normally why upset that behavior because the meds will -- the vet you saw is that a reptile vet or just a regular vet? Does this vet have experience w/ dragons? Dragons are going to have a limited number of parasites'/ worms in their systems usually a low count that is normal its when the counts get too high for them to control that makes them sick and lethargic not eating etc --- here is a website to find a reptile vet in your area -- I would look and see to get a second opinion but if you can get the test results from that vet -- the numbers are going to help my friend better and she can advise you as to what to do as well -- it is up to you -- the extra liquid hes excreting is just extra water and shows hes hydrated the little runniness could be from something he ate you just dont want the whole poop a puddle of liquid and smelling horrid --
I forgot the website www.arav.org

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How is Randy doing? Have you gotten the test results? I got a response from the vet tech I will post it in the morning

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
How is Randy doing? Have you gotten the test results? I got a response from the vet tech I will post it in the morning
Nothing new from Randy - he's doing great! Appetite, stool and behavior are stable and awesome. He's shedding and only body left to shed. But he's still on Bactrim like vet prescripted

I got an answer from Vet: He said that he does an analysis by "sector by sector observation". And 3 sectors of Randy's poop had 25 eimeria (against 10 as normal value) and 3-5 pinworms (poop should not contain these at all).

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nothing new from Randy - he's doing great! Appetite, stool and behavior are stable and awesome. He's shedding and only body left to shed. But he's still on Bactrim like vet prescripted

I got an answer from Vet: He said that he does an analysis by "sector by sector observation". And 3 sectors of Randy's poop had 25 eimeria (against 10 as normal value) and 3-5 pinworms (poop should not contain these at all).
Wow that is great hes doing so well on the med prescribed since the med is a harsh one
here is what Tracie said
How is the dragon doing? Any changes with his appetite?
I agree, since his appetite is still really good & he doesn't seem ill,
IF he wanted to treat for anything, maybe the coccidia but that
would be it. I am not sure though with treating using any trimeth
or sulfa based drugs because they are so hard on them
I sent her your reply updating her on your response about Randy-- lets see what she says about how he does his testing -- never heard of the sector testing but I am not a vet so ---- most that I have run into go by numbers/ percentages etc

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I heard back from Tracie again and she said this
Well, it is somewhat normal for them to have a small amount of
parasites in their system but once it becomes overloaded in their
system then that is what makes them ill!
I hope he is hanging in there, & will kick this!

I have already said this she just confirmed it --- I hope your little man is doing good--

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
Hello again!
Just an update with no specifics: Randy is doing great, appetite is awesome as always, poop has stabilized and finally he has started to bask all day long.
We're still on Bactrim like vet told me, 1.5 weeks more before we get a new stool for analysis.

Zontar’s Mom

Juvenile Dragon
Hello again!
Just an update with no specifics: Randy is doing great, appetite is awesome as always, poop has stabilized and finally he has started to bask all day long.
We're still on Bactrim like vet told me, 1.5 weeks more before we get a new stool for analysis.
great to hear!

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello!
I brought Randy (6mo) to vet and he said that Randy has pinworms and coccidia in his poop and we should start a treatment:
Bactrim, 0.06 every evening for 21 days. After - each second day for 17 days. Bactrim package also says that to keep in fridge for 4 weeks after opening, so I guess I'll need one more bottle.
Also, to avoid pumpkin in his food diet.
Just wanted to ask, is that a good treatment vet gave me for Randy? This is his first health issue, but according to vet, it's so serious though.
Hi; You went to the wrong Vet!! Find a good reptile vet. Your Beardie needs antibiotics called Purcil it’s a syringe that’s given in 2doses 48 hours apart. 1st one at the vet the 2nd at home exactly 48 hours later. Keep the purcil in a dark cold place the vet will instruct you. After 30 days of cleaning you take him back to the vet for another stool sample to ensure it’s gone. Coccidia is very very hard to kill; it’s like Lice in a Beardies tummy & very deadly. Rite now burn everything in his cage in hot water everything let to soak for 20-30 min in boiling water pour hot water in the cage all over & let it sit. Use white terry cloth towels as a substrate & remove poop instantly, cage needs to be clean 24/7 & poop removed immediately. They get this from dirty/unsanitary cages. Do not let the Beardie out of the cage till after the Coccidia is clear. Get carpets cleaned & burn all bedding or anything the Beardie touched. Wash hands constantly & do not pic you the Beardie it’s very contagious it gets on your clothes, carpets etc. Continue to feed his proteins of crickets and Dubias & for his everyday greens/veggies do: mustard greens, collard greesm, dandelions, yellow squash, butternut squash, Green beans, snap peas, endives. As treats twice a week; blueberries, mangoes & papaya. Those are the everyday ones: I wud do the mustard greens, yellow squash, butternut squash and snap peas for sure. Mix 2-3 of each every day give him this for life alongside the proteins.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello again!
Take him to a reptile/different vet for a retest on his poop. Pinworms is normal but Coccidia is not sometimes it takes months to clear. He needs Purcel from the vet. Please read my other In depth post to you.