• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pinworms and coccidia treatment

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
Hello!
I brought Randy (6mo) to vet and he said that Randy has pinworms and coccidia in his poop and we should start a treatment:
Bactrim, 0.06 every evening for 21 days. After - each second day for 17 days. Bactrim package also says that to keep in fridge for 4 weeks after opening, so I guess I'll need one more bottle.
Also, to avoid pumpkin in his food diet.
Just wanted to ask, is that a good treatment vet gave me for Randy? This is his first health issue, but according to vet, it's so serious though.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello!
I brought Randy (6mo) to vet and he said that Randy has pinworms and coccidia in his poop and we should start a treatment:
Bactrim, 0.06 every evening for 21 days. After - each second day for 17 days. Bactrim package also says that to keep in fridge for 4 weeks after opening, so I guess I'll need one more bottle.
Also, to avoid pumpkin in his food diet.
Just wanted to ask, is that a good treatment vet gave me for Randy? This is his first health issue, but according to vet, it's so serious though.
I am going to email my friend who is a reptile vet tech -- shes in Texas -- I have not heard of Bactrim being prescribed for pin worms / coccidia - I will post back when I hear from her

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
I am going to email my friend who is a reptile vet tech -- shes in Texas -- I have not heard of Bactrim being prescribed for pin worms / coccidia - I will post back when I hear from her
Thanks in advance!
He's 103 gramms, appetite is very strong, only poop looks a bit "undigested".

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks in advance!
He's 103 gramms, appetite is very strong, only poop looks a bit "undigested".
If hes pooping undigested his basking temps are not high enough-- what are they and how are you taking those temps? He should have temps 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer they are the most accurate

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
If hes pooping undigested his basking temps are not high enough-- what are they and how are you taking those temps? He should have temps 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer they are the most accurate
40-41 Celsius in basking spot, 27 in cold area. UV Arcadia 12% T5 Pro.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
40-41 Celsius in basking spot, 27 in cold area. UV Arcadia 12% T5 Pro.
Do you have the Arcadia in the tank? And if so the distance is 12-15 inches? Are you feeding BSFL? Those will come out undigested if fed too many at a time and hes eating them too fast

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
Do you have the Arcadia in the tank? And if so the distance is 12-15 inches? Are you feeding BSFL? Those will come out undigested if fed too many at a time and hes eating them too fast
In tank, 8-10 inches with no reflector and food is dubia roaches, also greens every day.
Undigested food is not that big deal Bactrim was assigned as a main treatment.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In tank, 8-10 inches with no reflector and food is dubia roaches, also greens every day.
Undigested food is not that big deal Bactrim was assigned as a main treatment.
Yep checking- you need a reflector on the UVB-- as of now those rays are going all over the tank--- the reflector directs the rays toward him and intensefies the rays which is good - I would order a reflector and lower the UVB to 6-8 inches till the reflector comes- this could be reason for undigested food plus your dragon is not able to absorb/ synethsize the calcium he's getting - this will cause lots of health issues- example pinworms/ coccidia

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
Yep checking- you need a reflector on the UVB-- as of now those rays are going all over the tank--- the reflector directs the rays toward him and intensefies the rays which is good - I would order a reflector and lower the UVB to 6-8 inches till the reflector comes- this could be reason for undigested food plus your dragon is not able to absorb/ synethsize the calcium he's getting - this will cause lots of health issues- example pinworms/ coccidia
I'll note that, thank you!
So what do you think about already existing issue and treatment?
And is Bactrim so sensitive and should be thrown away after 4 weeks after opening?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'll note that, thank you!
So what do you think about already existing issue and treatment?
And is Bactrim so sensitive and should be thrown away after 4 weeks after opening?
I don't know that is why I contacted my friend about that she would know - I am hoping to hear from her tonite

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't know that is why I contacted my friend about that she would know - I am hoping to hear from her tonite
Here is the answer I got from the vet tech
What are Randy's pinworm & coccidia levels? Or did they not tell you?
Bactrim is trimethoprim or sulfa based meds which are very hard on their
systems. I personally think that 21 days straight on, is too long & too much
stress on their systems.
It is only serious if the levels are too high & causing poor health & weight
loss.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Did you get the test results from the vet? I would get them and I can have her look at them --- have you started that med ye

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
Did you get the test results from the vet? I would get them and I can have her look at them --- have you started that med ye
I didn't but already requested those from vet. Will post here right after I have it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I didn't but already requested those from vet. Will post here right after I have it.
Ok once you post I am going to pass on to her -- I am not sure about what to do w/ the med--- is Randy really sick as she said its harsh on the system and only should be given if the results were really high -- I am going to ask about recommendation of what should be given after she reads the results from the test they did

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
Ok once you post I am going to pass on to her -- I am not sure about what to do w/ the med--- is Randy really sick as she said its harsh on the system and only should be given if the results were really high -- I am going to ask about recommendation of what should be given after she reads the results from the test they did
He didn't give me results, maybe just forgot but here is the photo.
He showed me that and I was told that big ones are pinworms and small ones are coccidia in Randy's poop.
Randy's weight 106gr, 6mo. Bactrim 0.06 every day for 21 day to get rid of pinworms. Next step is to get an another poop for analysis and new treatment to get rid of coccidia
That's what I was told by vet

Attachments

• IMG_4620.jpeg
    IMG_4620.jpeg
    919.7 KB · Views: 15

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He didn't give me results, maybe just forgot but here is the photo.
He showed me that and I was told that big ones are pinworms and small ones are coccidia in Randy's poop.
Randy's weight 106gr, 6mo. Bactrim 0.06 every day for 21 day to get rid of pinworms. Next step is to get an another poop for analysis and new treatment to get rid of coccidia
That's what I was told by vet
Ok I will see if I can get this to her

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
See if you can the test results the numbers are gonna be better
I have sent her a email -- Blaze was on albon and panacur for his parasites and coccidia -- those are the most commonly prescribed -- and he was on them for like 10 days I am thinking - one was a real low dose and I am thinking it was the albon as its pretty strong

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How do you tell if a dragon has pinworms or coccidia
the dragon can become lethargic and quit eating usually the levels are really high - the poop will be real runny and smell horrid-- enough to make you leave the room --