• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Picky Eater

Hossinn

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Tabaluga is doing well. He loves eating dubias! I have a situation, however, with salads:

We’ve been feeding him the type of salad shown in the picture (kale or collard greens, celery leaves, carrots, apple, grapes, strawberry, mango). I think he’s tried everything, but the only thing he appears to LIKE is strawberries. He turns his head from greens, but will attack strawberries from the tongs. We’ve tried putting various worms on top of the salad, but he’s not that into worms…The lack of interest in greens has me a bit concerned. At this point we’re just going to continue putting the salad in his enclosure, and hope he will become more interested, unless anybody has any recommendations.
72F942F6-FA17-446F-8EE2-2F9CF23C7BC1.jpeg

Attachments

• 04288991-73D4-4DD3-BEB5-C0D02B3CFB8B.jpeg
    04288991-73D4-4DD3-BEB5-C0D02B3CFB8B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello,

Tabaluga is doing well. He loves eating dubias! I have a situation, however, with salads:

We’ve been feeding him the type of salad shown in the picture (kale or collard greens, celery leaves, carrots, apple, grapes, strawberry, mango). I think he’s tried everything, but the only thing he appears to LIKE is strawberries. He turns his head from greens, but will attack strawberries from the tongs. We’ve tried putting various worms on top of the salad, but he’s not that into worms…The lack of interest in greens has me a bit concerned. At this point we’re just going to continue putting the salad in his enclosure, and hope he will become more interested, unless anybody has any recommendations.View attachment 28054
Ok that looks good --- I would eat it --- take the strawberries and make a bowl of salad since you know shes going to eat the strawberries take and put them on top of her greens -- that way you know shes going to eat some greens -- what is the dark greens? collards turnip kale and mustard are all good --- I would mix all that into a bowl for her -- and limit the strawberries -- they should only be getting fruit occasionally as it has lots of sugar in it ---

Hossinn

Hatchling Dragon
Ok that looks good --- I would eat it --- take the strawberries and make a bowl of salad since you know shes going to eat the strawberries take and put them on top of her greens -- that way you know shes going to eat some greens -- what is the dark greens? collards turnip kale and mustard are all good --- I would mix all that into a bowl for her -- and limit the strawberries -- they should only be getting fruit occasionally as it has lots of sugar in it ---
The dark greens are kale. The light greens are celery leaves. We’ve been mixing it all together like this photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The dark greens are kale. The light greens are celery leaves. We’ve been mixing it all together like this photo.
And shes still picking it out? Smart dragon --- well cut back on the fruit -- what worms are you using to lure her to the bowl?

Jrodkw

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

We’ve been feeding him the type of salad shown in the picture (kale or collard greens, celery leaves, carrots, apple, grapes, strawberry, mango). I think he’s tried everything, but the only thing he appears to LIKE is strawberries. He turns his head from greens, but will attack strawberries from the tongs. We’ve tried putting various worms on top of the salad, but he’s not that into worms…The lack of interest in greens has me a bit concerned. At this point we’re just going to continue putting the salad in his enclosure, and hope he will become more interested, unless anybody has any recommendations.View attachment 28054
I'd switch out the kale and collard greens for mustard greens and small pieces of broccoli. That's what I did when I noticed my dragon wouldn't touch kale or CG. Small cuts of green beans added in once in a while wouldn't hurt. Try variety, bearded dragons seem to get bored of the same food easily...kind of like us.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'd switch out the kale and collard greens for mustard greens and small pieces of broccoli. That's what I did when I noticed my dragon wouldn't touch kale or CG. Small cuts of green beans added in once in a while wouldn't hurt. Try variety, bearded dragons seem to get bored of the same food easily...kind of like us.
Broccoli is not good as a staple feeder --- here is a website for nutrition
ignore the kale thing its a great staple
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Hossinn

Hatchling Dragon
And shes still picking it out? Smart dragon --- well cut back on the fruit -- what worms are you using to lure her to the bowl?
I've tried BSFL, Phoenix Worms, NutriGrubs, and Waxworms (I realize some of those may be different names for same worms). He will eat these worms, if we tong feed him, but he doesn't LOVE them, so he doesn't run to the worms (on top of salad) if we try that method.

Hossinn

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you. I'll try the Mustard Greens.

Jrodkw

Hatchling Dragon
Broccoli is not good as a staple feeder --- here is a website for nutrition
ignore the kale thing its a great staple
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Kale is only a good stable if he eats it. Otherwise...it's worthless. Also...I wouldn't trust that chart because it says it's ok to feed them celery which is similar to lettuce and we already know to not give them lettuce so there's too much contradictory info on that page.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Kale is only a good stable if he eats it. Otherwise...it's worthless. Also...I wouldn't trust that chart because it says it's ok to feed them celery which is similar to lettuce and we already know to not give them lettuce so there's too much contradictory info on that page.
It is strictly used as a guide ---

Hossinn

Hatchling Dragon
Haha, referencing the guide, I’ve been attempting to feed him celery leaves trying to determine what he likes.

I think he likes the collard greens more than kale and is more apt to eat his greens if I only mix collard greens in the salad, and omit the kale completely.

Still haven’t got my hands on mustard greens to see how he likes that.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Haha, referencing the guide, I’ve been attempting to feed him celery leaves trying to determine what he likes.

I think he likes the collard greens more than kale and is more apt to eat his greens if I only mix collard greens in the salad, and omit the kale completely.

Still haven’t got my hands on mustard greens to see how he likes that.
try turnip greens --- each dragon has their own taste

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
I've tried BSFL, Phoenix Worms, NutriGrubs, and Waxworms (I realize some of those may be different names for same worms). He will eat these worms, if we tong feed him, but he doesn't LOVE them, so he doesn't run to the worms (on top of salad) if we try that method.
I’m not sure if this will work but try luring your Beardie to his salad bowl and try placing some crickets or dubia in it. I’m not sure about yours but mine will go crazy for crickets or dubia. They will jump out but if hes already at the salad bowl then he should eat them in time. After mine has ate the crickets he will usually try to eat some salad too! I also have a Beardie you can’t trick lol