• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Picky eater and won't eat veggies

Liv

Bearded Dragon Egg
Spyro is 2 1/2 and I've had him for 3 months. He was pretty good at eating veggies and then I started spoiling him. I know it's my fault because I hated thinking he was starving so I gave in. Like a child throwing a fit, I messed up and now he always throws fits. He actually will stomp all over his salad and gives me this offended look. He will only eat worms from me and this is where it gets ridiculous...if my boyfriend puts the veggies in his tank, he eats them!!! He just won't eat when I put it in his tank! I'm kind of at a loss because my boyfriend can't feed him every day and Spyro can't live off worms either. I've tried hiding the worms under the salad, but he just pushes it around until he gets the worms. I've also tried the special salad dressing, zapping the salad for a few seconds so it's not cold, adding fruit, adding the beardie dried treats and hand feeding. I've even gone as far as giving him a dab of appetite stimulant, but all it did was give him lots of energy and he explored the whole apartment. I don't know what else to try!!! Like, disguise myself? I feel like he's too smart for that though. Please help

Liv

Bearded Dragon Egg
He has trained you--- your BF needs to take the time to feed him till you get him eating vegies again --- he needs those and he should be getting staple feeders like dubias or crickets BSFL phoenix worms 2 -3 days per week - I would suggest you get the salad ready and have your BF put it in his tank w/ out worms in it -- leave him alone w/ it and check back a couple of hrs later do not heat the salad up --- wash the greens before serving so hes getting hydration - fruit should be fed once in awhile - it has natural sugar in it and its not good --- here is a website for you for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Too much protein will give them gout--- thus the feeding 2-3 days per week for staple feeders- I would recommend getting some dubia roaches -- dust in calcium when feeding and vitamins alternating
I don't think there is a store in town that has phoenix worms. I've gotten him silk worms before, but pet works rarely gets them in. I don't mind buying online, but I don't know what sites are credible. I've gotten him dubia roaches, but he's not always interested. I know there are some hiding in his tank. You don't even know they are there until you rinse it off.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Some online reputable sites:
Josh's Frogs
Rainbow Mealworms
Symtonbsf
Coastal Silkworms

There are others, but those should get you started. And keep in mind that "Phoenix worms" is just a brand name for one company's BSFL (black soldier fly larvae), and there are a few other brands as well.
:0)

Reactions: Liv