• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Paralyzed? Please advise.

Lenna

Bearded Dragon Egg
My daughter's dragon was adopted July 2018 when he was a juvenile, maybe four-six months young. He seemed healthy and was able to crawl, walk, climb etc. He only eats grasshoppers and worms (not mealworms). He will not eat anything else put in front of him. Now, he cannot catch grasshoppers. He did fall off his tree a couple times, which may be the cause.

Please see the video. Research seems to indicate there is nothing that a vet can do.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Oh, that is heartbreaking! Can you give a rundown of your lights, food, supplements?

Lenna

Bearded Dragon Egg
He has the double lights on one side (heat/UV) and a heating lamp on the other side of a 55 gallon aquarium. He is hand fed worms and loves grasshoppers, but cannot catch them anymore. I give him the canned gourmet grasshoppers, but he just won't eat them. I have tried to feed him fruits/veggies, gourmet dragon foods, etc, but he refuses. I give him water with calcium through a straw to supplement his calcium intake and water. I spray him with a mist throughout the day in an attempt to keep the humidity around 35%; the norm is 21%. He sleeps on a flat rock now, but used to sleep on a hammock or a tree.

Are there supplements, other than calcium, I should give him?

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
What type of worms and what type of UVB? How old is the UVB? What temp is his basking spot?

Lenna

Bearded Dragon Egg
Superworms by Vitabugs from Petco. Zoo Med dessert UVB & heat lighting dual kit. Provides UVB, UVA and visible light. I think this is the correct description; it is what was recommended by the Petco employee: Repti Basking Spot Lamp (75 w) and ReptiSun 10.0 Mini Compact Fluorescent (13 w). The basking spot is 85 degrees. The uv lights on the basking side are not blocked by glass - they are held flush with a custom made hood. The heating lamp for the night is on the other side of the aquarium, so it likely gets colder at night.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Poor little guy!! Do you have a good reptile vet? They can definitely help in this situation, and he needs to be seen by one right away.
But there are a few things you can also change here. Unfortunately, what the Petco employee told you was not correct information. That uvb light is not sufficient for a bearded dragon, and you need to get him a new one right away. He needs a Reptisun t5 10.0 TUBE or an Arcadia t5 12% tube in a reflector hood. Without this, he has not been able to metabolize and absorb his calcium, weakening and softening his bones. With the new bulb, some of this may be reversed. He may always have some issues, but he may be able to still live a long and happy life. These lights aren't typically sold in pet stores. I ordered mine off of amazon. But it's something that needs to be ordered today.
His basking spot is way too cool. It needs to be around 95* or so, measured by a digital probe or temp gun. Without the proper heat, also, he can't digest properly and absorb his nutrients. For nighttime, no lamp that puts off any light of any color is good for them. You need a ceramic heat emitter. It puts off heat only. Typically, I would say to let him cool down to 65* at night. Since he is so sick, you may want to keep him warmer at night (around 80*) until he's stronger.
Second, superworms are an ok occasional treat but not an ok staple. He needs dubia roaches, black soldier fly larvae, silkworms, or crickets. If he doesn't want to eat his veggies, take his greens (collard, mustard, turnip, dandelion), and blend them up with some water. Drip it on his nose and let him lick it off.
Hopefully, one of the pros will be online soon and will chime in, but these are things you can start setting in motion now, before he gets any worse.

Lenna

Bearded Dragon Egg
Janelle, thank you so much for your help! So, should I also use the UVB & heat lighting kit in addition to a tube? The current lamp I have is a Reptisun 10.0 UVB mini compact fluorescent lamp.

The basking rock temperature is 90 degrees during the day. That is with the light, UVB, and warming lamp.
Oh, the night heat lamp is not a light - it just emits heat. There is no light on at night and the temp likely reaches 70ish degrees.

That does make sense that he is unable to digest food without proper warmth. He does seem to get constipated. I have given him warm baths, which seems to have helped before. I wish the little guy would eat more than worms!

So, here's what I am going to buy:
Zoo Med 26053 Reptisun T5-Ho Terrarium Hood, 24"
Reviews note that hood comes with a 5.0 bulb, but some buy a 10.0 to replace it. What are your thoughts?
Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO Lamp, 24 Watts

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
That is the perfect hood, and yes, you need the 10.0, not the 5.0 it comes with. Once you have that, completely do away with the compact fluorescent you have. It isn't helping, and some of them can actually hurt their eyes. You will still need your heat bulb. If this one can't get his basking spot hot enough, you can get a higher wattage one.
Superworms aren't easy to digest, especially when they're already having problems. If you order bsfl, they contain extra calcium and are nice and soft and digestible. They're also not super fast, so they'd be easier for him to be able to "catch" and eat.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
You're so welcome!! I hope we can get this little guy back on track and give him a great life!!

Lenna

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you! I just bought some from flukers as recommended by Janelle. I sure hope the little guy likes them.

OHnatalie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here is a response I wrote to another beardie keeper, hopefully something in this article may be of some help. I don't thing the first point is for you, but consider the second or third points...
A couple ideas.... First, I definitely would encourage out of the cage more, but only if your critter really wants down to run (sometimes my girl only wants to sit on my shoulder.) Sorry, mine is a girl, yet I've notice when she is getting ready to shed, or thinking of hibernation cuz of the winter light, she does have changes in personality and mood. Secondly, when my girl is in one of her "moody stages", she too doesn't seem to want to eat so my vet recommended a supplement (Emeraid Systems, for exotice animal critical care - life saving nutrition, Emeraid.com) that I feed her by syringe...to keep her weight up. Keeping up the nutrition aspect insures whatever she is going thru she is healthy. (I tend to mix this with either veggie water I've made, or the emeraid powder mixed with cooked sweet potato/acorn squash and water) and boy does she LOVE that mix!!!!
Third, I have been using essential oils on my animals (cats and dogs) via Dr. Melissa Shelton AnimalEO.com who has been treating/practicing for over 20 years on all types of critters. Recently I've gotten serious since my cat with feline aids has been having issues. By researching dr shelton's on-line site I have learned I can use these on the dragon...and I've notice a difference with her too. You may want to research these oils, especially..kittyboast I've learned you can take a drop, rub it in your hands and then lightly hold your critter. Been giving my beardie the pick-me-up boast she's needed. Another you might consider is open air if your noticing any type of respiratory issues...I've been lightly diffusing this in our house and see it helping all of us...both critters and humans. If you are on Facebook, AnimalEO has a group you can join. You can learn lots there as well as ask questions.
These are just suggestions. Be sure to research all before you decide in any direction. Just hope one of these avenues helps you to take care of that special little guy :)

Lenna

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have no idea what gender my daughter's BD is. She named him/her George and so we refer to him as male, but we figure it shouldn't matter. S/He is very gentle and sweet.

OHnatalie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes, our beardie is really my son's...but guess who really takes care of her :) When she was having her sickly period, my son took her to the vet....well, he took DASH and found out HE was a Dashell ....so now we have a female :) and ours is soooooo spoiled that we don't dare call her DRAGON, she is refered to as the "Princess" :) I'm not an expert on beardies, but need any more info on how to use what I've written above....just ask.

OH, and one more note. Our vet stated we should purchase the NOW brand calcium (people version) and not the less potent store brands. I sprinkle on food, but if she is not eating well, I will every couple days include a little bit in the Emeraid mix that I make up fresh for every feeding. Our vet also stated sometimes in winter the beardies might try to go into hibernation. They advised against this as our beardie was not up to weight to do this, but also recommended not letting them. So, once our beardie has gotten healthy (I noticed here lately due to both the Emeraid and also every couple days the kitty boost) I now have a normal beardie. I still give her the Emeraid once or twice a week (mixed with a little calcium) just to be sure we stay healthy through the winter months and I continue with the kitty boost too. Hope that helps.

Lenna

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for sharing. I had no idea the females had periods. I really need to educate myself. Do you buy the Now, Emeraid, and kitty boost online! Do you mind sharing?

Update. George is eating the blsf worms. At most, 10 in one day and three today with a superworm. He went a couple days with nothing. I mixed him some gourmet food with water and dribbled that on his nose. He stopped drinking it and I noticed his toes were swollen. I'm guessing Gout. Lord I hope not. He seems better and toes aren't as swollen, but they are not like other dragon's I see. He did eat today, which is good.

OHnatalie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for sharing. I had no idea the females had periods. I really need to educate myself. Do you buy the Now, Emeraid, and kitty boost online! Do you mind sharing?

Update. George is eating the blsf worms. At most, 10 in one day and three today with a superworm. He went a couple days with nothing. I mixed him some gourmet food with water and dribbled that on his nose. He stopped drinking it and I noticed his toes were swollen. I'm guessing Gout. Lord I hope not. He seems better and toes aren't as swollen, but they are not like other dragon's I see. He did eat today, which is good.

Are you on facebook? if so, please join the AnimalEO facebook group with Melissa Sheldon, DVM. There are people on there that will definitely help you with the oils....I know what I know...for me and my pets, but there are those on that site that would have much broader knowledge. I have ordered my oils from Dr. Shelton's website...http://www.animaleo.info/ and while the exotic page is not quite up to date, I have found in the strings on facebook where people have talked about using the oils on exotics. I personally have experienced a major difference with the kitty boost in both my cat, beardie and older dog that I'm slowly losing. Eyes are brighter, my beardie now flinches "normally" when she thinks something is swooping upon her (hadn't done that for a while) and is having normal bowel movements (yes, I exercise her regularly in the house or shower her often. The light pounding of shower droplets on her lower back seem to encourage "movement" hahaha.

I personally don't purchase the "foody stuff" in the pet stores anymore. I would encourage real/living foods like greens....mustard greens, collard greens, parsley, endive, prickly pear, sweet pototo, butternut/acorn squash, zucchini, winter squash, sugar snap peas (cut) and cut green beans, etc. I rotate these and other "beardie friendly" food regularly. I also sprinkle with NOW calcium every 2nd or third day to insure ingesting enough. I had purchased mine directly from the vet but I can also find it locally. If you are unable to find locally, this is the one my vet recommended. (Calcium Carbonate pure powder - supports bone health)

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Now-Foods-...TSHxKEGnM9L_ALU0SjBoC7hMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have also received the Emeraid directly from the vet. I will include 4 photos of the bag...I hope that helps. I see their website is Emeraid.com (pix attached). The vets directions said 1 - 3ml syringe 3x day....can't say I've ever done that much in a day...but that's our situation.

I don't recall, do you have the correct UV lighting on your beardie. I know that plays an important part of their being able to absorb the calcium into their bodies. Does your UV light have plexiglass between the bulb and your beardie? I understand that will stop the correct light amount getting to your beardie. Do you replace the UV bulb every 6 months - a necessity.

Unfortunately mine will only eat greens and Superworms. (Vet says Supers are hard to digest...that is why I make sure she has regular exercise and regular bowel movements.) I currently have dubia roaches that I have been feeding for MONTHS that she will not touch now. In the beginning she would eat a few but I think one of the roaches touched my finger...I SCREAMED and now the princess aka beardie will not touch them either ...hahahahaha. And of all the insects, the roaches are suppose to be the best nutrition around!!!!! ....go figure :)

...and since I had a sickly beardie a while back, I worry when she doesn't eat. If she didn't eat her greens, I let her go for a day. MAYBE two, then I will give her 1 or 2 - 3 ml syringe of Emeraid. Since we are currently in our winter months, I don't want to take a chance of her going down hill. I don't know if you remember, but when I mix the Emeraid, I only mix enough for that feeding. I will mix with water, or if I have a recently cooked sweet potato, butternut or acorn squash (nothing on them), I mix a little of that in with the powder and some warm water (she devours that mix), or if I've just made a veggie broth (usually of a mix of greens and stuff (like I've noted above) that she can eat, maybe added some carrots. I'll use that as the water base. I learned about the veggie broth mix when a family member was seriously sick and this was one of the things we used for health. If you'd like an actual recipe, don't hesitate to ask. I'm also willing to talk via phone if that's easier!

Remember, I'm not an expert. I just know what has worked for my beardie with our conditions. Please be sure to research all Ive written before you determine it's right for your situation but I'm more than happy to help you where ever I can :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 6
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 7

Lenna

Bearded Dragon Egg
I did buy the correct lighting according to Janelle's recommendation. It's close to 20" above him (I'm guessing), but it is the correct lighting. I did try hanging it lower (10" above him), but he kept hiding from it. I increased the temperature and added a towel covered with a gallon bag and paper towel for him to sleep on but he doesn't like sleeping on it. He prefers to sleep on the bottom covered with paper. I don't let him on anything because he falls and can land on his back.

I haven't tried the dubia roaches. George prefers superworms over the soldier worms. I wonder if he was impacted, which caused hind leg paralysis. That makes sense now that I've researched it. I guess that's irreversible.

I am going to try to mix fruits/veggies for him. He is one picky little fella.

I was distilling lavender essential oil near George's home, but I don't know if it made a difference. I did join the facebook page. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'd love the recipes. Thank you!