• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pancake Update (we've got parasites)

Chris123

Bearded Dragon Egg
Pancake's lab results returned, she tested positive for two types of parasites. (Can't remember which, the guy talked super fast.) So, I've picked up the meds the vet prescribed, once those are don it'll be another $38 lab fee (ugh) to be sure they're gone. No way to know how she picked these up, but she was cohabbed with other juveniles with the breeder I got her from.

ec2dc8e315ab05558606ddb8bb36baa39b0ff257.jpg

Also re-arranged her cage so she's closer to the UVB, Look at her face in this, she's so cranky I messed w/ her room.
(Yeah I know the veggies aren't dusted- she refuses to eat them so I'm trying to entice her as much as possible.)

I'm looking into finding a new, better staple. BSFL or dubias- if anyone has any good affordable sources pls share!

Chris123

Bearded Dragon Egg
The parasites are caused by not correct lighting in the tank -- as long as the lighting is correct the UVB and the basking temps they will be able to keep them from over producing -- so w/ that being said does that fixture have a reflector on it ? And what kind of UVB is it ? Brand and bulb please--- crickets tend to give parasites I am posting some websites for BSFL and dubia roaches - visit those sites and find what you can
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
https://symtonbsf.com/ they are small I would order the large--- do not need to be dusted and great staple feeder - I usually order the 500 and use as a supplement - I use dubias as my main staple feeder--I offer both -- I ordered the large white bowl to feed my 5 month old his dubias and BSFL w/ vegies
www.dubiaroaches.com
http://www.mulberryfarms.com/
https://abdragons.com/login.php
www.joshsfrogs.com

The bulb is a T8, it's from Zilla. I still don't know what a reflector is, or what it would look like. The mount I have the bulb in is from Home depot and it's got a backing to it. If that's not enough I'll have to see what I can find that's affordable.

I've pretty much checked out all of those sites, the problem is the dubias are just too expensive. I'm dependent on my family, and they won't pay anywhere near $20 for pet food per month. Hence I've been doing crickets. I get 500 from Flukers for $19 and my parents are already pretty pissed about that. (Nevermind that I already discussed this with them and was honest about how much it'd cost e_e)

Unless I can find a way to get dubias for less than that, I'm not sure there's anything I can really do.

Chris123

Bearded Dragon Egg
The reflectors are like a tin foil that reflect the light toward the area its sitting above- it sits behind the bulb --- if you dont have one on that reflector the tube isnt doing much good unless you take it and put it directly above him-- so he can sit directly sit under it ---- correrct UVB and basking will keep those parasites away if you are going to not feed him anything but crickets-- your parents dont realize that by offering a better staple they are going to prevent future vet visits which are costly and if not treated they will kill the dragon-make sure you change that T 8 bulb in 6 months from when you put it in --- I would get a Reptisun 10.0 bulb the next time you change it out --- better bulb --- I would make sure his basking spot is 6-8 inches from the UVB as well - get your light adjusted so he is getting adequate UVB --- are you feeding salads? No spinach --- kale collards turnip greens mustard are all good staple greens - fresh green beans squash most kinds - he needs those as well for a good diet --- those crickets are they live or dried?

Is there somewhere I can purchase a reflector? Or fashion one somehow myself?

Crickets are live.

Chris123

Bearded Dragon Egg
Mounting it from the screen would work if my cage lid wasn’t like this lol.

0ebe27db_1e1d_488e_bab4_036cbad4a63c_by_bloo_jay_ddl8v3w-pre.jpg

But it’s mounted as close as you can get to that.

596f03d3_8ca9_4f38_aac2_e73145413241_by_bloo_jay_ddl8v2m-pre.jpg

I’ll look into the reflector and getting another mount if i can find one that’s affordable!

Chris123

Bearded Dragon Egg
Watch his poops -- thats gonna tell you if hes getting proper UVB -- the UVB helps him absorb his calcium ---- you want poops formed moist and dark w/ white urate formed and moist --- if they are dry and chalky hes dehydrated --- and his basking temps what I told you before --- you dont want undigested bugs that is a sign of not enough heat ---

Her poops are plenty moist haha. And stinky.

Chris123

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes they can be stinky --- but if they are enough to drive you from the room then its possible parasites-- can you take the lid off and leave it off ?

Yeah her test said she’s got parasites, I’m treating for those.

Can’t safely leave the lid off because of the cat.