• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pairing Hypo Zero x Hypo Zero?

RJS

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all, this is just a question. Please don't jump down my throat on this! Just curious.

I have looked and looked, but when I ask "why shouldn't you breed (or pair) hypo zero x hypo zero bearded dragon" (or even just zero x zero) I can't find anything more than: Don't. But they never seem to put why not to pair them.

If you had two hypo zeros from het hypo het zeros (parents - different breeder/parents), whose parents (grandparents to the ones you want to breed - different breeder/parents) were not related, why not pair hypo zeros?

Is it to strengthen the het hypo zero gene several generations to get a stronger hypo zero?

Summary of questions: can you? If yes, should you? If you can, but shouldn't, why not?

Again, this is just curiosity! Thank you in advance.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all, this is just a question. Please don't jump down my throat on this! Just curious.

I have looked and looked, but when I ask "why shouldn't you breed (or pair) hypo zero x hypo zero bearded dragon" (or even just zero x zero) I can't find anything more than: Don't. But they never seem to put why not to pair them.

If you had two hypo zeros from het hypo het zeros (parents - different breeder/parents), whose parents (grandparents to the ones you want to breed - different breeder/parents) were not related, why not pair hypo zeros?

Is it to strengthen the het hypo zero gene several generations to get a stronger hypo zero?

Summary of questions: can you? If yes, should you? If you can, but shouldn't, why not?

Again, this is just curiosity! Thank you in advance.
Idk anything about genes , but I would think if you got two dragons from completely different families it would be okay, they back breed alot of these dragons, so they end up with alot of the bad genes and end up with alot of health issues, ive never read that you cant breed two zeros before, but i can see why pure breed=inbreed

Reactions: RJS

RJS

Bearded Dragon Egg
Idk anything about genes , but I would think if you got two dragons from completely different families it would be okay, they back breed alot of these dragons, so they end up with alot of the bad genes and end up with alot of health issues, ive never read that you cant breed two zeros before, but i can see why pure breed=inbreed
Thank you Skybug. That was what I was thinking but I wanted to see what others who have been around beardies longer than me thought. Thanks again.