• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Over feeding subadult?

Carlyelaine

Hatchling Dragon
Hi!

I've tried to refrain from asking this as I am sure it gets asked a lot, and I've researched and looked around but I still can't find a specific answer that makes me feel more comfortable. I just want to be sure I am feeding Mushu correctly. (With insects)

Mushu is "around a year" they did not give me an actual age when I got him, but told me he is still a subadult.

Originally I was feeding him 20 super worms a day, with his daily salad. (All of his worms always getting covered in calcium before the feeding) I felt like that was too many worms because he wasn't eating much of his salad so I cut it down to 15 worms and he's eating a bit more now but never all of it.

His salads consist of a mix of collard greens, yellow squash, carrots, zuccini, endives, and dandelion greens.

Basically I just want to know if 15 super worms a day is too much, too little, or good? I'll be starting dubias soon as well.

Thank you!!

Carlyelaine

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you!! So you think the 15 worms a day is okay or should I cut that down to 10 a day? Or 15 every other day? I've been so unsure and I don't want to accidentally over feed him protein

Carlyelaine

Hatchling Dragon
Yes, the super worms. I have to wait until pay day to start the roach colony, so supers are all I've got right now as I don't feed him crickets & the Madagascar hissing roaches at the pet store are HUGE. I was feeding 2 times a day but he stopped eating in the afternoon when I get home from work so now it's just in the morning, though he has a salad in there all day. I have not been keeping track of his weight, but I will now! His tummy has definitely gotten a bit thicker since I brought home home which is my concern for over feeding.
Also, regarding the dubias - are you able to give me like a number range for feeding? Like 10 a day? More? Less?

Carlyelaine

Hatchling Dragon
Not sure of his exact age. When I asked they said "around a year but he is still considered a subadult"

And you're saying once I start feeding him dubias to not feed him carrots, right? Just want to be sure I'm understand that right because I feed him carrots often lol

Carlyelaine

Hatchling Dragon
I will always take more opportunities to learn more so yes! But there is a nutrition website linked on the health page of this forum and I've read that over a bunch and looked up what they can and can't eat a lot

Carlyelaine

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you so much! I was thinking veggies when you said nutrition for some reason so this is much appreciated!!

Carlyelaine

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you so much! I was thinking veggies when you said nutrition for some reason so this is much appreciated!!

Carlyelaine

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you, Kaylyn!

I am going to order today and I am hoping to only have to order them every 2 weeks until I get my colony going so I wanted to be sure of the amount I buy. But also need to be sure how many dubias i would probably be feeding him. I was thinking of getting around 250 with the plan of feeding him 16 a day (split between 2 sittings hopefully) then I have a bit extra if he wants more. Do you think that is a fair range or should I get more?

Carlyelaine

Hatchling Dragon
Last question - how long did it take you to receive them after ordering from abdragons? If you went with the free shipping option?

Carlyelaine

Hatchling Dragon
Okay this is my real last question, I think.
So, I bought 100 BSFL as well since they are so high in calcium, but should i still sprinkle his other insects & veggies with calcium or would that be too much?

Carlyelaine

Hatchling Dragon
Okay so I have 2 of the T-5 bulbs in my tank (it's a 100 gal, 5 ft tank so 1 at each end) should I be lowering the amount of calcium I'm giving? As of right now I cover his super worms in the powder each feeding. (Worms are all I have for now) and I sprinkle is veggies every other day.

Carlyelaine

Hatchling Dragon
Interesting. Well so far it's only been the 1 uvb, I had just placed an order for another fixture (already have a 2nd light) but I was planning to add it because it's kind of dark on the other side of the tank since its 5 feet long and he doesn't go over there much so I thought that would help. I'll cancel the order for the 2nd fixture then if I shouldn't have 2 UVB's! I was thinking because his tank is so long he needed more. That will save me $60 bucks not needing it so thank you!! Lol

DrBwell

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Here are some feeder websites too

https://symtonbsf.com/ this is for BSFL -- good staple feeder but they are small - I also use besides the dubias
www.abdragon.com-- roaches free shipping
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
www.dubiaroaches.com - they are good and have lots of treat worms - they charge shipping
Another great site is : https://www.lunaroaches.com/post/so-what-s-new-at-luna-roaches?postId=5da69347af7316001778e498

They sell Discoid roaches, which in my dragon’s opinion are better than dubias.