• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Over active beardy

Maisiedaisy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all thanks for letting me join
I've got a 4 and a half girl called Maisie she was very lethargic a few weeks ago so she was given a course of antibiotics.now she is running around like a lunatic she has lost weight she was 850 grams now down to 805 she has not eaten for a week and does not want to be handled she had a clutch of 30 eggs early this year.ive felt her tummy but can't feel any eggs any suggestions what could be the matter with her

Attachments

• DSC_0054.JPG
    DSC_0054.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all thanks for letting me join
I've got a 4 and a half girl called Maisie she was very lethargic a few weeks ago so she was given a course of antibiotics.now she is running around like a lunatic she has lost weight she was 850 grams now down to 805 she has not eaten for a week and does not want to be handled she had a clutch of 30 eggs early this year.ive felt her tummy but can't feel any eggs any suggestions what could be the matter with her
Sounds like shes going thru spring fever late-- most get that type of energy in the spring and slow down in the fall getting ready for winter and brumation-- does she brumate? What size tank do you have her in? What kind of UVB are you using? These all contribute to the behavior of the dragon-- basking temps and how are you taking them? What were the antibiotics for? Its good shes losing weight she is really over weight - you want her down to around 400 or so grams -- make sure shes hydrated w/ her not eating she will get dehydrated ---

Maisiedaisy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sounds like shes going thru spring fever late-- most get that type of energy in the spring and slow down in the fall getting ready for winter and brumation-- does she brumate? What size tank do you have her in? What kind of UVB are you using? These all contribute to the behavior of the dragon-- basking temps and how are you taking them? What were the antibiotics for? Its good shes losing weight she is really over weight - you want her down to around 400 or so grams -- make sure shes hydrated w/ her not eating she will get dehydrated ---
Her heat and UV are fine she's not the first beardy I've had but she's the first girl I've owned.she has always been a big girl.shes not a greedy dragon , the antibiotics were given to her because she was lethargic.thank for the information I'll keep an eye on her.she has eaten a hopper and 4 morino worms today.

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
Her heat and UV are fine she's not the first beardy I've had but she's the first girl I've owned.she has always been a big girl.shes not a greedy dragon , the antibiotics were given to her because she was lethargic.thank for the information I'll keep an eye on her.she has eaten a hopper and 4 morino worms today.
What are morino worms? The recommended staple insects are crickets, dubia roaches, black soldier fly larva, etc. She is very overweight, try cutting back on her fat and protein a bit.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What are morino worms? The recommended staple insects are crickets, dubia roaches, black soldier fly larva, etc. She is very overweight, try cutting back on her fat and protein a bit.
Morina worms are the same as BSFL -- phoenix worms calci worms and nutri grubs are all the same worm

Maisiedaisy

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am cutting her down on protein she likes blueberries and pea shoots. Which are both good for her recommend by my vet.i was just concerned about her being very active at this time of the year

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
I am cutting her down on protein she likes blueberries and pea shoots. Which are both good for her recommend by my vet.i was just concerned about her being very active at this time of the year
Those are not necessarily "good" for her just because the vet said so. Blueberries are just a treat too much can cause diabetes- pea shoots should be fed rarely if at all

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
so I'm a new dragon owner myself and this might sound really dumb but how are they getting weighed..the vet??

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree w/ the blueberries those should only be fed sparingly or occasionally -- too high in sugar-- here is a website you can go off of giving you ideas of what to feed how often and what to stay away from
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a great staple feeder --- recent studies have proven it is good to feed --