• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

One eye closed

beardienewbie

Hatchling Dragon
I noticed today that my beardie is keeping one eye closed. What does this mean and how can I treat it?
IMG_20210714_164027.jpg
IMG_20210714_164842.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I noticed today that my beardie is keeping one eye closed. What does this mean and how can I treat it?View attachment 28315View attachment 28316
Could be possible shed - they will tend to do that --- but you also MUST have proper UVB***** NO COILS*****
basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO STICK ONS they are inaccurate -- coils will / can cause eye issues --- also NO COLORED BULBS --- if you are not using any of the things I mentioned then I would say its more than likely shed --- you can help by washing the eye w/ some saline NO contact lens stuff or by spraying the eye w/ some water or misting him -- DO NOT EVER pick at shed -- you can damage the scales and make them bleed and then it could cause infection --- if the eye gets crackly and dried out mist w/ some warm water and take a soft baby toothbrush and gently brush the loose shed ---

beardienewbie

Hatchling Dragon
Could be possible shed - they will tend to do that --- but you also MUST have proper UVB***** NO COILS*****
basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO STICK ONS they are inaccurate -- coils will / can cause eye issues --- also NO COLORED BULBS --- if you are not using any of the things I mentioned then I would say its more than likely shed --- you can help by washing the eye w/ some saline NO contact lens stuff or by spraying the eye w/ some water or misting him -- DO NOT EVER pick at shed -- you can damage the scales and make them bleed and then it could cause infection --- if the eye gets crackly and dried out mist w/ some warm water and take a soft baby toothbrush and gently brush the loose shed ---
thanks so much. he has opened it a couple times since i posted but closes it after a second later. i'm just glad it's not a super serious issue

beardienewbie

Hatchling Dragon
i didn't realize there were multiple types of saline. do you know the best type or brand that i should use?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Regular saline --- something like equate from Walmart- or something like for your nose - nasal solution will work -

beardienewbie

Hatchling Dragon
i wanted to thank you for the help. it took a couple days but he is now opening his eye. it was shedding that was cause. i lightly rubbed his eye with warm water and put a couple drops of saline after rubbing it. he is much more active and is able to eat better rather than using one eye to judge distance to catch crickets. i changed all his lighting, substrate, and decor. he is also now ok with me picking him up, where as he would hiss and run

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i wanted to thank you for the help. it took a couple days but he is now opening his eye. it was shedding that was cause. i lightly rubbed his eye with warm water and put a couple drops of saline after rubbing it. he is much more active and is able to eat better rather than using one eye to judge distance to catch crickets. i changed all his lighting, substrate, and decor. he is also now ok with me picking him up, where as he would hiss and run
Wow what a change :) --- what are you using for a UVB -- distance and placement is key here --- it needs to be correct --

beardienewbie

Hatchling Dragon
Wow what a change :) --- what are you using for a UVB -- distance and placement is key here --- it needs to be correct --
i purchased a tube reptisun 10.0 uvb bulb. it lays just about half the length of the tank. with the height of the tank i placed a couple hammocks at different heights under the lighting. he uses them when he sleeps at night. usually he falls asleep about a half hour or less before his light timer turns off his light. he seems much more active. he reacts when i walk by, might be now that i give him a fruit treat after i do the water saline treatment. he still keeps his eye closed but holds it open more and more each time.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i purchased a tube reptisun 10.0 uvb bulb. it lays just about half the length of the tank. with the height of the tank i placed a couple hammocks at different heights under the lighting. he uses them when he sleeps at night. usually he falls asleep about a half hour or less before his light timer turns off his light. he seems much more active. he reacts when i walk by, might be now that i give him a fruit treat after i do the water saline treatment. he still keeps his eye closed but holds it open more and more each time.
What bulb did you get ? T 5 or T 8?