• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

older beardie rolling on to back ???

dorib2133

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Our beardie, Hunter, is 6 or 7 years old, and has been very healthy up to this point. This last spring, he came out of brumation, and didn't have his usual zip. He slowly started eating and moving more, but we noticed he would sometimes swing his legs high and wide as he walked. Now he has begun to actually flip over on to his back! We thought at first he just got too rambunctious and fell, but them we saw him do it on a flat surface. At this point he is then stuck until we turn him over. He will do this several times a day - then not do it again for several days.

He loves to eat green beans, and would exist on them entirely if we didn't push other greens and fruit, and he gets dried gut-loaded crickets. He is eating and pooping well, gets occasional baths and out in the sun when weather permits.

Does anyone have any ideas what is up with him? I appreciate any help you can offer. ???

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is difficult to say. Does he have any spasms when he rolls onto his back or is it a natural thing, like when a crocodile does a roll?

A vet visit is a good idea. You can't be too cautious with these guys. Here is a link to find one in your area:'
Herp Vet Directory

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
sounds like he is loosing muscular skeletal control. could be something to do with the nervous system. you need to take him to a vet. i know that sucks but it is the only way to know for sure. they will probably have to do a blood test or some x-rays. Another person to hit up on here is thevirus. tim has some experience with older dragons. I have dealt with 1 in my background but i only rehabilitied the dragon from a emaciated state. nothing like what you are going through.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is he twisting in odd ways as well ?
How old is your uVB ? If it is too old, not enough uvb is being put out, and mvb can start.
Hope this helps out.
Janie.

dorib2133

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks everyone! We did replace light bulbs recently and have been taking him outside for the real thing. He does twist to the side a bit when rolling. The randomness of the rolling is confusing - but I am going to check the ear infection idea. Thanks again!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Keep us updated and let us know what the herp vet says.