• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ok I Need Some Convincing/Reassuring

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Some lovely lady I won't mention names *cough* Gina *cough* suggested that I may like Dubias better than Turks. Luckily I have 2 mouths to feed now and both don't require protein in large quantities so a slower breeder is fine. My reason for not trying dubias in the past were their appearance. Lobsters terrify me in every way shape and form and the turks only got to me a bit when they managed to escape which was very rare. To me, although I've been called crazy for this, the dubia look very roachy compared to the turks which is why I favored them over the others.

Basically any dubia keepers/breeders share some stories good and bad to help me kind of get over this roach complex that I have. Pictures are welcome. Nothing like scaring the fear out of me lol

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
my favorite aspect of the dubia is that THEY DON'T CLIMB
i've kept turks, lobsters and dubias. Lobsters i detest, turks drive me insane and the dubias i find a calming change. I tried to keep hissers at one point, but i must have a thang with roaches that make noises. *shudder*
Dubias breed slower than a turk, but they also move slower. So if you drop one on the floor, you don't have to be a quarterback for the Steelers to get it before it gets away. With the turks, by the time they hit the floor they know what direction they're heading in and they're already 3 feet ahead. I hate that.

It's easy for me to break my colony apart and merge it back together. i don't have any relocation issues to note. Breeding continues.

And i have NEVER found a dubia crawling across my reptile room floor in the middle of the night. Trust me, i'm usually awake then

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't have any yet but look at pics all the time (trying to get over my roach fear and start a colony) of the dubias and think they look less roachy then the others...but thats just me.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have kept Turks, Discoids, Hissers, and Dubia. I will tell you right now that Turks will never enter my home again. They are "supposedly" a non-climbing species but I believe that to be a lie. I found turks not only loose in my home but in my dubia colony. That was the end of that. Dubia breed relatively quick and once the colony stabalizes and "booms" (its a sudden bounce in colony activity normally 3-5 months after the colony is started) you will not run out of feeders. Plus, as Gina said, dubia are slower moving than turks, zero smell (turks seemed to smell a bit to me), and can not climb. And I honestly consider Dubia to be far less "roachy" than turks, especially the nymphs and females (the males look like a roach Ill give you that).

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I was lucky or it was my cat doing a damn good job keeping the roaches at bay when I had the turks because I had 1 escapee and that was because I dropped it but then I found it dead in a corner a couple days later.

Really the only thing for me now is the appearance. Why couldn't roaches be cute like hornworms and silkworms. I know, I'm weird thinking a bug I feed my reptiles is cute but I am the definition of weird lol. I have to go find some pictures of them up close and scare the fear out of me.

Also, even if they could climb, I found a way of keeping them in the bin with NO chance of escaping. An old weatherstrip from a car trunk works miracles when you glue it to the top rim of the bin so the lid sets on it. When the weather strip is used, there's no gap between the lid and the bin. Puttin it out there for anyone who wants to try.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
oh i did forget about the discoids. they weren't bad. didn't climb, but looked disgustingly roachiefied.
i hate male roaches strictly due that fact.........lol

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
oh i did forget about the discoids. they weren't bad. didn't climb, but looked disgustingly roachiefied.
i hate male roaches strictly due that fact.........lol
See and it's the females of all the breeds that scare the $%@# outta me. I've heard discoids give off a foul smell though. Is that true? Also, does anyone have experience with the banana roach? Those are beautiful both male and female and usually available at the show in PA that Tom and I go to.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok scratch the banana roach thing. Apparently they climb and are escape artists. Too bad too since they are so pretty I think my hubby wouldn't even mind them.

I think the domino roach and the pale-bordered field roach are pretty too. (wow if that sentence isn't an oxymoron...a pretty roach)
http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/Roaches/

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I never noticed any odor with the discoids they just breed very slowly far slower than a dubia. I know they creep you out but honestly I say dubias are deffinately your best bet. Just bite the bullet and get some you will get used to them. Hell I got used to the hissers (well kinda lol)

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think I just may bite the bullet and try em and in the mean time get some hornworms and silks until my colony is good to go. I need to get a self-sustaining colony in time for the scaly baby in the early fall.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Jason has a fairly good price on a starter colony. http://theroachguy.com/
He is on vacation till the 12th but when he comes back you should be able to work out a custom larger order if you want. All depends on your needs.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was actually just looking at his site. I will have to check him out again when he gets back

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crypticdragons said:
I never noticed any odor with the discoids they just breed very slowly far slower than a dubia. I know they creep you out but honestly I say dubias are deffinately your best bet. Just bite the bullet and get some you will get used to them. Hell I got used to the hissers (well kinda lol)

I don't know how you can do the hissers. Don't think I would go in my own house if they were in there.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardielover17 said:
clh321 said:
I would freak if my roaches hissed!!!
Yeah, I would probably burst into tears

wait are you saying you want me to send you a couple?
You know if you can get used to hissers dubias will seem like a cake walk.

Hey just for kicks whats your address again 8) lmao

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lol Brian you would get a butt kickin like no other if you did....unless it was "accidentally" delivered to my #$%^ of a downstairs neighbor.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey C,
Ive kept lobsters, turks, and dubia.
Im down to just dubia. Lobsters where a PITA.
Gina isnt kidding about turks and speed...lol I havent had a turk in in 3 months but im still finding them.
I just dont have problems with the dubia.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crypticdragons said:
wait are you saying you want me to send you a couple?
You know if you can get used to hissers dubias will seem like a cake walk.

Hey just for kicks whats your address again 8) lmao

Go ahead and send them...make sure you put a BIG label that says LIVE ROACHES on them and lets see if they make it here ;)