• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Novice beardie keeper seeks advice

Shorrie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks Josh,

We're yet to get our bearded dragons (1daughter wants one for her birthday, I've wanted one for ages), seems like the ideal time. Just finished put the basic in the viv. Going to leave it t until Ellie's (daughters) birthday until the 21st. Just so we can make sure the set up and we are ready. Sure we will have a million and one questions that the books don't answer. Looking forward to using the forum and getting to know the fellow users.

Well thanks for the welcome.

Regards
Shorrie

Read more: http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/i...to-beardeddragonforum-com.6244/#ixzz20EefyiqK

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
WelcometoBDF2.jpg

It sounds like it is your intention to house more than one BD in one enclosure. If this is the case, you should give this a once or twice over, you may want to rethink your plans.

Housing Beardies Together aka Is Bearded Dragon Co-habitation a good plan?

Shorrie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Germ,

Thanks I've had a look at a few site, and talked to the colonal in chief (my wife), both agree that where there's risk no matter how small (as some web sites call it), that our beardie could end up hurt is just not worth taking.

Looks like Dad's going to have to share, I've already had to put the viv in her room.

Great advice, no matter how disappointed I might be, truly thanks.

Regards

Shorrie

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lol, that's why we have an edit button ;). Always have to keep the Colonel`s in Chief happy, no different on this side of the pond.

Shorrie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Aleena,

Thank for the warm welcome. I see your a veteran beardie keeper, what with being a novice hope I can call on you to learn a thing or two. It's a great site already learned a valuable lesson that may well have prevented a costly mistake, more importantly a beardie to suffer. Not sure what time it is in Utah but I think It must be after midnight some time. Hope to speak soon

Regards

Shorrie

Pat B

Super Moderator
If your beardie is a new baby then it will take time for him to acclimate to his new surroundings....about 1 week to 10 days. Don't take him out of his 'home'. ...just leave him be. Also, if he is a baby your basking temp should be about 110. My little beardie basks just about all day. He does get down to poo and eat but that is about it. He will eat when he is hungry....can't force that issue. ..Good luck to you :cool:

Shorrie

Bearded Dragon Egg
If your beardie is a new baby then it will take time for him to acclimate to his new surroundings....about 1 week to 10 days. Don't take him out of his 'home'. ...just leave him be. Also, if he is a baby your basking temp should be about 110. My little beardie basks just about all day. He does get down to poo and eat but that is about it. He will eat when he is hungry....can't force that issue. ..Good luck to you :cool:

Pat B

Thanks for the advice, been in touch with a couple of breeders who have beardies of varying ages, I'll have to see what's the score is Saturday. What ever the age though (prefer a young one) we'll give him a week to ten days to settle as you suggest

Cheers Mate
Shorrie

Shorrie

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've just set up a viv and letting it settle, before getting a beardie. Already had some valuable advice and chatted with some great people. Looking for anyone who can offer a novice keeper any hints and tips

Regards

Shorrie.

(thanks Germ)

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
dont use a particle substrate such as sand or coconut shavings as bedding for your BD, i highly recomend the repti-carpet you can buy at most pet stores, easy to clean and washable by hand in hot water, i still have the first one i bought back in april and its holding up strong and gets washed every few weeks.

then again im lucky and my BD only poops on his rocks so no poop on the carpet much.

edit" also pictures of your set up help a lot, a picture is worth a thousand words after all

Shorrie

Bearded Dragon Egg
dont use a particle substrate such as sand or coconut shavings as bedding for your BD, i highly recomend the repti-carpet you can buy at most pet stores, easy to clean and washable by hand in hot water, i still have the first one i bought back in april and its holding up strong and gets washed every few weeks.

then again im lucky and my BD only poops on his rocks so no poop on the carpet much.

edit" also pictures of your set up help a lot, a picture is worth a thousand words after all

THDude

Cheers I've heard of the repti-carpet, as of yet I hadn't made a decision on substrate, read beardies can be messy eaters. Your right I'll post a few photos when I can. Thanks for the advice!

Regards

Shorrie

Shorrie

Bearded Dragon Egg

Could you sugest some decoration which is somewhat lacking at the moment, think ive got the heating/light bit sorted. Heating source, basking light, thermostate, thermometers and a timer, (have I missed anything)?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Maybe hold off on the decorating until your BD is a little older if you acquire a young one. If that is the case, keep it real simple, with just the necessities to start with, will be less stress on the BD, easier to see & find it's feeders as they would have less places to hide.

You did not mention UVB bulb.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
The little tykes do better with less in their vivs. How old are your BD's? You have a UVB 10.0 or 10%, right? It should cover the basking spot as well as the basking light. Thermostats should have one directly under the basking spot and one on the cool end furthest away from the light (digital with probes seem to work best). Non-particle substrate is required for babies, adults can be placed on childrens washed play sand as long as you strain it yourself and make sure that there are no larger chunks in it.

Shorrie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Maybe hold off on the decorating until your BD is a little older if you acquire a young one. If that is the case, keep it real simple, with just the necessities to start with, will be less stress on the BD, easier to see & find it's feeders as they would have less places to hide.

You did not mention UVB bulb.

Germ, I was rushing out the door to pick my eldest daughter up, in the haste I forgot to mention it. Driving along I had a dah moment.

Shorrie