• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not sure if my enclosure is inadequate for my beardie... Newbie reptile owner please help!

Chris&Bacon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone,

I just purchased my very first bearded dragon, Bacon, about 3 weeks ago. Im worried his enclosure might be causing him stress. Specifically the lighting. I feel like it may be too far away from his body and this may be the cause of his glass surfing and darkened under belly. I keep seeing online this pertains to stress so im really worried (as im sure is a common thing with us dragon owners lol). But im a new reptile owner with little to moderate knowledge of these little guys so I'd like to hear from the experts. :)

Okay the specifics.

Enclosure info:

Tank Size
L 30" W 12.5" H 18" (Previously aquarium)

Lighting

Reptisun T5 UVB Tube bulb & PowerSun 80 Watt Mercury Vapor UVB Bulb

Temp/Humidity

Exo-Terra Digital Infared Thermometer & Zoo Med Digital Thermometer/Hygrometer
Low range: 80-87°F
High Range: 92-105°F
Humidity: 32-40%

Decor

Brown Reptile Carpet
Various Mopani roots and artificial plants.

Maintenance

Spot cleaned daily. Cleaned once a week. Wipe Out reptile sanitizer used.

Bacon info:

Hypo/Het Leatherback. 8.75 inches long. 3-4 months old.

Food
6-8 Discoid roaches (im in FL) a day & 1 hornworm a week. Dusted with calcium 3-4 times a week.
Salad sprayed w/ water and lightly dusted w/ vitamins.Offered daily. Collard greens. Zucchini. Butternut Squash.

Notes

Just went through his first shed with me.
Seems to be quite active. Hanging and jumping around his enclosure. Tends to close his eyes alot. Able to handle but still kinda fast and jumpy. Gets a darkened under belly often.

PICS:

IMG-9683.JPG IMG-9692.JPG IMG-9686.JPG IMG-9687.JPG IMG-9685.JPG IMG-9689.JPG IMG-9691.JPG

Please guys if theres anything im doing wrong or need to change in the enclosure please let me know! I appreciate all comments and suggestions here. I want to provide the best experience for my lil Bacon :)

Rbange1

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sounds like the closes thing to perfection I've read from a newbie owner yet.

The only thing I would add is to offer more bugs daily. I offer my babies protein 3x a day. I also dust with calcium once a day and rapashy plus only once a week to maybe even 10 days. Bee pollen is an amazing source of vits and can be offered daily as well.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Sounds like you're doing your best to give him a good life. Bear in mind you'll want a larger enclosure fairly soon, and your low range temps are a bit high (which would probably change in a bigger tank anyway), but other than that and more insects as Rbange1 suggested, I think you're doing great.