• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not eating

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
Just started last night when I got home. Didn't seem as tired but it was also bed time however she seemed more alert and I got her to at least eat 1 dubia.

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
I'm in the same situation as you. My baby bearded is 2-3 months old and wasn't eating at all. I was doing the same with the slurry last week also. Sadie and Skybug gave me great advice which was make the UVB and the Basking Bulb a perfect temperature. Within a day after changing the bulbs my beardie started to be more alert and started being more active. His appetite is improving and I do still supplement him with the slurry today because he was so weak. He may eat only 1 or 2 dubias a day so far but I also syringe feed him for the extra nourishment. He seems to be on the road to recovery but it does take time since he is so tiny only weighing approximately 9-10 grams.
I have a 20 gallon tank and the bulb I'm using is the Reptisun 10.0 UVB and also Exo Terra Intense basking spot 75W bulb. It really perked my baby up in one day.
my temperatures are 102-104 degrees for basking spot
78 cool side of tank
Also the UVB now sits 8 inches away from my beardie when he is basking. I move the screen over this way the UVB is unobstructed.

All this really helped him alot. I hope it helps Draco out too. I will post a picture of tank for you!

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
Yep, pretty much doing the same myself, only difference is my t5 is a 5.0 which Sadie said was fine until I get a bigger setup. I was also grinding up 1 dubia a day into the slurry to help with protein intake and would also give her 1 wax worm a day. She would eat the wax worm but I would have to get her mouth open and sit it on top of her tongue so she would eat it. She would not do that with the dubias until last night. She was 7 grams on oct. 1st and I will be having her weighed tomorrow. She feels heavier and looks like she's getting bigger.

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
Yep, pretty much doing the same myself, only difference is my t5 is a 5.0 which Sadie said was fine until I get a bigger setup. I was also grinding up 1 dubia a day into the slurry to help with protein intake and would also give her 1 wax worm a day. She would eat the wax worm but I would have to get her mouth open and sit it on top of her tongue so she would eat it. She would not do that with the dubias until last night. She was 7 grams on oct. 1st and I will be having her weighed tomorrow. She feels heavier and looks like she's getting bigger.

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
Same with my little guy. He still does not chase the bugs himself. I have to hold the worm or Dubia by his mouth until he opens then I quickly put it in. I hope he eventually will get a stronger appetite and chase the bugs again. I know by supplementing with the slurry he will not get a big appetite since he will not be that hungry. In the morning I let him bask for an hour then try to give him the Dubias and give him time to see if he hunts them on his own. After another half hour I will syringe him the slurry and try to hand feed the insects that he didn’t eat on his own. I hope he can transition back to eating on his own eventually. He does finally have enough strength to walk around his tank now. Maybe Sadie can give us some suggestions on how to transition them to hunting bugs themselves again even though they are still being supplemented with a slurry everyday.

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
Draco will keep an eye on them for a few minutes when they're in her bowl until she loses interest. Hopefully there won't be an issue when transitioning back to hunting them down. I'd imagine that we would have to cut back on the slurry during that transition though. Right now Draco is getting up to 12 ml of slurry a day. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

charmander1234

Hatchling Dragon
Charmie does the same thing he will watch the bugs walk around him but doesn’t go for them anymore. Right now I’m happy that he is feeling better with the slurry and his new lighting. I’m not worrying about hunting the bugs either right now.
Talk you you soon,
Vanessa

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just started last night when I got home. Didn't seem as tired but it was also bed time however she seemed more alert and I got her to at least eat 1 dubia.
Try getting some BSFL they move slower and he can eat those out of the bowl - www.symtonbsf.com -- do not dust them and order the size no bigger than the space between his eyes length wise --add them to the tops of the salads in front of him

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Same with my little guy. He still does not chase the bugs himself. I have to hold the worm or Dubia by his mouth until he opens then I quickly put it in. I hope he eventually will get a stronger appetite and chase the bugs again. I know by supplementing with the slurry he will not get a big appetite since he will not be that hungry. In the morning I let him bask for an hour then try to give him the Dubias and give him time to see if he hunts them on his own. After another half hour I will syringe him the slurry and try to hand feed the insects that he didn’t eat on his own. I hope he can transition back to eating on his own eventually. He does finally have enough strength to walk around his tank now. Maybe Sadie can give us some suggestions on how to transition them to hunting bugs themselves again even though they are still being supplemented with a slurry everyday.
Try getting some BSFL they move slower and he can eat those out of the bowl - www.symtonbsf.com -- do not dust them and order the size no bigger than the space between his eyes length wise add them to the tops of the salads in front of him

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
Try getting some BSFL they move slower and he can eat those out of the bowl - www.symtonbsf.com -- do not dust them and order the size no bigger than the space between his eyes length wise --add them to the tops of the salads in front of him
I got some in the other day and she had no interest in them. She would look at them in the bowl then wander off. Hopefully soon, now that I won't be giving her cold food again, she will take an interest in them.

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
I got some in the other day and she had no interest in them. She would look at them in the bowl then wander off. Hopefully soon, now that I won't be giving her cold food again, she will take an interest in them.
Also, hopefully she start eating her salads too when I add them in.

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
Went to the vet today and got Draco weighed, 9.1 grams. She was 7 grams on the first of October. So far today she seems a little more active. She ate her slurry without taking forever.

Attachments

• IMG_20211103_121615.jpg
    IMG_20211103_121615.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20211103_121608.jpg
    IMG_20211103_121608.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
try feeding live bugs if you can or if not try different bugs.
I don't use freeze dried or dead bugs. All the ones I've gotten have been live. I started with crickets when I first got her. She did fine until a few weeks ago. Since then I've gotten dubias, wax worms, and bsfl.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't use freeze dried or dead bugs. All the ones I've gotten have been live. I started with crickets when I first got her. She did fine until a few weeks ago. Since then I've gotten dubias, wax worms, and bsfl.
What are the basking temps and how are you taking them? I see only the stick on thermometer -- if you dont have a digital probe thermometer please get one and take the temp where she sits for basking -- is she still a baby ? If so temps should be 105-110 if shes older like 5-6 months try temps 95-100--- she wont eat w/ out proper basking temps --

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
What are the basking temps and how are you taking them? I see only the stick on thermometer -- if you dont have a digital probe thermometer please get one and take the temp where she sits for basking -- is she still a baby ? If so temps should be 105-110 if shes older like 5-6 months try temps 95-100--- she wont eat w/ out proper basking temps --
There is a digital probe that sits on top of the hammock. I also have an infrared thermometer that I use. And the humidity sensor is sitting behind the green mesh ladder. Basking temps usually anywhere from 95 to 107 which has been the highest so far.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There is a digital probe that sits on top of the hammock. I also have an infrared thermometer that I use. And the humidity sensor is sitting behind the green mesh ladder. Basking temps usually anywhere from 95 to 107 which has been the highest so far.
Ok probe is good IR guns don't read off of certain materials your probe is the most accurate- humidity sensor is it a probe? If so move it to the center back wall you will get the whole tank reading-

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
Ok probe is good IR guns don't read off of certain materials your probe is the most accurate- humidity sensor is it a probe? If so move it to the center back wall you will get the whole tank reading-
It is and it's on the middle of the back wall

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well it could be relocation stress still - sometimes it may take awhile for them but since she's so little its best she's getting something and she's gaining weight- that's good I would keep trying to feed her the salads and bugs I would think she's going to start eating on her own soon