• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not eating

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
So for about a week now Draco has not been eating her insects. She started eating less crickets, about 2-4 a day. I took her to the vet for her first checkup about 2 and half weeks ago and they gave me some fine grind nutritional supplement. You mix it with water and feed it to them with a syringe. She was doing better with eating at first. I was also bathing her daily per the vets instructions to get her hydration up. The past few days I've noticed her skin becoming pale so I'm thinking she might be trying to shed. She acted like this when we first got her before she shed. I have offered dubia roaches, crickets, and even wax worms. She wants nothing to do with them. She has been practically sleeping all day only waking up when I handle her. The only food she is getting is the nutritional supplement the vet gave me. She gets about 3ml a day and 1 ml of liquid calcium. Today her poop was practically water. I will be calling the vets office tomorrow to set up an appointment. Is this possibly due to her getting ready to shed? I have a 20 gallon long reptisun 30" 5.0 uvb unobstructed with a 75 watt basking light. Temps vary from 99-107 during the day at her basking spot which lately I've had to turn on the CHE because of fall coming. Should I consider changing the uvb to a 10.0? I got the 5.0 because someone recommended it until I get her bigger enclosure. Any help will be appreciated.

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
IMG_20211018_204155.jpg
this is the fine grind I mentioned

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
Also, I have been offering salads daily. I have some bsfl on order but the shipping has been delayed which is why I have wax worms. Honestly I've been trying to just get her to eat something, anything other than what I'm forcing her to eat.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So for about a week now Draco has not been eating her insects. She started eating less crickets, about 2-4 a day. I took her to the vet for her first checkup about 2 and half weeks ago and they gave me some fine grind nutritional supplement. You mix it with water and feed it to them with a syringe. She was doing better with eating at first. I was also bathing her daily per the vets instructions to get her hydration up. The past few days I've noticed her skin becoming pale so I'm thinking she might be trying to shed. She acted like this when we first got her before she shed. I have offered dubia roaches, crickets, and even wax worms. She wants nothing to do with them. She has been practically sleeping all day only waking up when I handle her. The only food she is getting is the nutritional supplement the vet gave me. She gets about 3ml a day and 1 ml of liquid calcium. Today her poop was practically water. I will be calling the vets office tomorrow to set up an appointment. Is this possibly due to her getting ready to shed? I have a 20 gallon long reptisun 30" 5.0 uvb unobstructed with a 75 watt basking light. Temps vary from 99-107 during the day at her basking spot which lately I've had to turn on the CHE because of fall coming. Should I consider changing the uvb to a 10.0? I got the 5.0 because someone recommended it until I get her bigger enclosure. Any help will be appreciated.
For a 20 gallon tank the 5.0 is the best but it must be obstructed like it is and the decor needs to be directly underneath it 6-8 inches - how old is Draco? the Oxbow is great stuff but if your dragon is a year or older she might be going into brumation it is that time of year that is why we always go over the age of the dragon and the lighting and basking temps- how are you taking them? Digital probe thermometers work the best for accurate temps- the bathing every day is going to dry her scales out --- is she drinking in the bath-- personally I would lay off the baths and water the oxbow down so shes getting hydration that way instead of the baths - your temps of 99-107 are being taken w/ a probe thermometer and is this w/ the CHE or w/ out? If the dragon is a year / juvie the temp may be too warm for her older dragons like 95-100 -- w/ her being in the 20 gallon tank it may be too small I dont know how big she is but I would start looking at getting a bigger tank -- shed will effect the appetite yes can you take a pic of the tank and post please

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
For a 20 gallon tank the 5.0 is the best but it must be obstructed like it is and the decor needs to be directly underneath it 6-8 inches - how old is Draco? the Oxbow is great stuff but if your dragon is a year or older she might be going into brumation it is that time of year that is why we always go over the age of the dragon and the lighting and basking temps- how are you taking them? Digital probe thermometers work the best for accurate temps- the bathing every day is going to dry her scales out --- is she drinking in the bath-- personally I would lay off the baths and water the oxbow down so shes getting hydration that way instead of the baths - your temps of 99-107 are being taken w/ a probe thermometer and is this w/ the CHE or w/ out? If the dragon is a year / juvie the temp may be too warm for her older dragons like 95-100 -- w/ her being in the 20 gallon tank it may be too small I dont know how big she is but I would start looking at getting a bigger tank -- shed will effect the appetite yes can you take a pic of the tank and post please
At work now so I can't take any pics. There isn't a whole lot in her tank but she is about 2 months old. I slowed down on the baths after a week of doing them everyday as instructed by the vet. I only started doing it again because I'm thinking she is about to shed. Temps are with a stick on, digital, and it. The probe sits almost directly under the basking light. Temp readings are with the che on because of the temp drop in my area. As far as how big she is, she is a little over 3 inches not including her tail. I also thought it was brumation but learned she isn't old enough to start that. The uvb light is 6 inches above decor. Ultimately I don't like that her appetite changed so suddenly, the only reason I'm not freaking out is because I am feeding her the oxbow daily so she gets something. Should I consider grinding up insect and mixing it in the oxbow so she gets her protein?

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
Note: the stick on is used on the cold side of the tank but I do take reading with the ir and it varies around 78-85 depending on time of day.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
At work now so I can't take any pics. There isn't a whole lot in her tank but she is about 2 months old. I slowed down on the baths after a week of doing them everyday as instructed by the vet. I only started doing it again because I'm thinking she is about to shed. Temps are with a stick on, digital, and it. The probe sits almost directly under the basking light. Temp readings are with the che on because of the temp drop in my area. As far as how big she is, she is a little over 3 inches not including her tail. I also thought it was brumation but learned she isn't old enough to start that. The uvb light is 6 inches above decor. Ultimately I don't like that her appetite changed so suddenly, the only reason I'm not freaking out is because I am feeding her the oxbow daily so she gets something. Should I consider grinding up insect and mixing it in the oxbow so she gets her protein?
Yes I would get some insects in the critical care -- what is her behavior like? Is she basking? The basking light is it a bright white or off colored white or yellowish? Keep your temps 105-110 -- she should be eating so something is off or she is sick - need to figure out which one

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
Yes I would get some insects in the critical care -- what is her behavior like? Is she basking? The basking light is it a bright white or off colored white or yellowish? Keep your temps 105-110 -- she should be eating so something is off or she is sick - need to figure out which one
Agreed, the vet tried calling me a few days ago to follow up and see how she is doing anyway so I will be calling them today. The basking light is a bright white. Should it matter what bug I grind into the mix? I imagine cricket and roaches would be harder to come out of a syringe vs a wax worm. I know that they are higher in fat and should be used as a treat but it was the only thing the pet store I went to had other than crickets. Still waiting on the bsfl to come in.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Agreed, the vet tried calling me a few days ago to follow up and see how she is doing anyway so I will be calling them today. The basking light is a bright white. Should it matter what bug I grind into the mix? I imagine cricket and roaches would be harder to come out of a syringe vs a wax worm. I know that they are higher in fat and should be used as a treat but it was the only thing the pet store I went to had other than crickets. Still waiting on the bsfl to come in.
Crickets are fine

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
So the vet called back and told me to increase the oxbow feeding, set the temp at 100 and bring in a stool sample. That oughta be fun.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So the vet called back and told me to increase the oxbow feeding, set the temp at 100 and bring in a stool sample. That oughta be fun.
That was my next suggestion -- hes gonna check for parasites -- the medication can cause lack of appetite as well as too many parasites along w/ lethargic behavior -- albon and panacur are the two most common meds -- albon is harsh on the stomach ask about other side effects --

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
So, I've had 2 stool samples done at 2 different a vets. Both came back negative for parasites. Waiting on the 1st vet I took Draco to and see what they say. Behavior is the same, always sleeping, not interested in eating, having to force feed the oxbow and any insects I give her. I say her behavior is the same but she did start puffing out her throat a few days ago. She does feel like she is gaining weight and her stools are more consistent and not watery. Stress marks are also showing a lot more. She did rub her face on a rock yesterday, shedding? I already thought she was shedding a week or 2 ago and she did not. Her color comes and goes, usually dark when the stress marks are showing, but it's not a dull color. Is there anything I could give her to restore energy and appetite?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So, I've had 2 stool samples done at 2 different a vets. Both came back negative for parasites. Waiting on the 1st vet I took Draco to and see what they say. Behavior is the same, always sleeping, not interested in eating, having to force feed the oxbow and any insects I give her. I say her behavior is the same but she did start puffing out her throat a few days ago. She does feel like she is gaining weight and her stools are more consistent and not watery. Stress marks are also showing a lot more. She did rub her face on a rock yesterday, shedding? I already thought she was shedding a week or 2 ago and she did not. Her color comes and goes, usually dark when the stress marks are showing, but it's not a dull color. Is there anything I could give her to restore energy and appetite?
Did you get the UVB correctly placed and the basking temps in order? Please post a pic of the tank and the dragon -- please get a kitchen digital scale food scale from Walmart etc and keep track of her weight --

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
Uvb is 6 inches away from basking area, basking temp hover between 99-106, will be bringer her to the vet this Wednesday to have her weighed and looked at again. She does feel like she has been gaining weight and she doesn't look thin. Will try and get some photos when I get home tonight.

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
I will also get a scale so I can keep track of her weight for the next couple of weeks. She was 7 grams when I took her on oct. 1st

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I will also get a scale so I can keep track of her weight for the next couple of weeks. She was 7 grams when I took her on oct. 1st
Please NO ENEMAS at the vet take a fecal in

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
Omg!! I'm a frickin idiot. Vet called and talked to me about increasing the feeding. He then asked how thick the oxbow is when I make it. I told him about the consistency of oatmeal and that after a couple of days in the fridge I add a little bit of water to thin it out a little. He then asked if I warm up the slurry, I have not been doing this and the thought didn't even occur to me to warm it up. So now we're the vet is thinking because I've been feeding her cold food that she is always tired because of her internal temp. Like I said, I'm a frickin idiot. Guess I'll see how this goes for the next few days.