• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not eating greens anymore

FlamingUnicorn90

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I have no idea what's wrong with Jayden. Id say for the past 3-4 months she has stopped eating her greens. Usually she had no issues eating a bowl of them.

But now she wont go near them. She has no issues eating her locusts and dubias however. I tried withholding her bugs but I worry about her because she is nearly 14 years old. I thought maybe she was trying to brumate as she tends to sleep a bit during the day but she spends most of her time on the warm side. I read if they are going to brumate they spend more time on the cold side.

Dino4242

Bearded Dragon Egg
HI. Flaminunicorn90. How many bugs do you feed her a day? Did you switch to different veggies? How many hours a day are you giving her UV & Heat?

FlamingUnicorn90

Bearded Dragon Egg
HI. Flaminunicorn90. How many bugs do you feed her a day? Did you switch to different veggies? How many hours a day are you giving her UV & Heat?
I usually give her maybe 10 large locusts about 3x a week. She would usually just eat collard greens (the only staple I can find where I live) and and I do give her peppers, carrots, butternut squash. Her lights are on from 8am-8pm

Dino4242

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok, 16 hrs a day is too much for them. Its suppose to be 10-12 hrs of light and the rest no light. Getting a timer helps because you dont have to remeber and it wont mess up the schedule. Its very important to have the same routine everyday. They need to have fresh veggies everyday. When there are adults your only suppose to give them 10% bugs and 90% Veggies. Hes getti g spoiled on the bugs and thats why he dont care about the salads.

FlamingUnicorn90

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok, 16 hrs a day is too much for them. Its suppose to be 10-12 hrs of light and the rest no light. Getting a timer helps because you dont have to remeber and it wont mess up the schedule. Its very important to have the same routine everyday. They need to have fresh veggies everyday. When there are adults your only suppose to give them 10% bugs and 90% Veggies. Hes getti g spoiled on the bugs and thats why he dont care about the salads.
8am-8pm is 12 hours. And she used to eat her veg all the time then suddenly stopped eating them. She would still eat a full dish of her veg even when I fed her bugs the same day.

FlamingUnicorn90

Bearded Dragon Egg
8am-8pm is 12 hours. And she used to eat her veg all the time then suddenly stopped eating them. She would still eat a full dish of her veg even when I fed her bugs the same day. And she's been eating veg no problems for nearly 14 years, it's just the past few months she hasnt wanted to eat them

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I have no idea what's wrong with Jayden. Id say for the past 3-4 months she has stopped eating her greens. Usually she had no issues eating a bowl of them.

But now she wont go near them. She has no issues eating her locusts and dubias however. I tried withholding her bugs but I worry about her because she is nearly 14 years old. I thought maybe she was trying to brumate as she tends to sleep a bit during the day but she spends most of her time on the warm side. I read if they are going to brumate they spend more time on the cold side.
Wow Jayden is getting up there --- not many of them live that long cuddos to you and her care taking--- :) it is that time of year for them to start to go into brumation-- is she losing weight do you know? Does she normally brumate? Any black bearding going on? She could be just being lazy - yes they do normally go to the cool side of the tank in a hide to brumate -- what are her basking temps ? I really dont feel I need to ask husbandry questions being Jayden is as old as she is --- most wont live if they are not correct

FlamingUnicorn90

Bearded Dragon Egg
Wow Jayden is getting up there --- not many of them live that long cuddos to you and her care taking--- :) it is that time of year for them to start to go into brumation-- is she losing weight do you know? Does she normally brumate? Any black bearding going on? She could be just being lazy - yes they do normally go to the cool side of the tank in a hide to brumate -- what are her basking temps ? I really dont feel I need to ask husbandry questions being Jayden is as old as she is --- most wont live if they are not correct
I havent checked her weight yet. She never black beards. Her basking temps are around 100f. I think she brumated once before when she was younger but it was only for 2 weeks.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I havent checked her weight yet. She never black beards. Her basking temps are around 100f. I think she brumated once before when she was younger but it was only for 2 weeks.
Ok could be her age- she's getting up there- or she could be getting ready for brumation too- I would just keep an eye on her weight and behavior- that's going to give you insight if something is off