• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not basking... getting really worried

ckingy94

Hatchling Dragon
Hi all.

So I’ve had Nipp for around a year now and he doesn’t seem right at all.

Few weeks back he stopped basking all together. I’m not sure what could be up with him as he seems to just want to hide under his basking log all the time.

He will come out for food but only eat a small amount then go back under the hide again. I’ve tried taking this out but he will then look for another dark part of the viv and place his head under there and that will be his new spot.

He hasn’t been the toilet for a week or so but I presume this will be due to lack of backing and therefore he’s not digesting his food properly.

He has a 40 gallon enclosure
Basking temp of 98’4f
Cool side of 82.5f
UVB is a Arcadia desert 10%
He’ll eat mixed salad, mario worms and locusts

Really am getting worried as I’ve tried everything. Lowering temps, moving the hide, even when placing him under the basking light he will only stay there for around a minute then will move himself off again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

ckingy94

Hatchling Dragon
I’ve attached a photo, he’s just not a happy boy right now l!

Attachments

• 53841C01-F744-4123-BEA8-20386FB82B7F.jpeg
    53841C01-F744-4123-BEA8-20386FB82B7F.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 54

ckingy94

Hatchling Dragon
Hi there.
Thanks for your reply.

I take temperatures using digital probes, one clicks into the gaps in his basking log directly under the hot spot and the cool side is monitored by a stat as I use this for my night time readings for the ceramic heater.

The Arcadia uvb is around 2 months old and is positioned across the length of the enclosure. It’s a 3ft build mounted in the middle.

I’ve attached a photo of the setup. He’s up and about only cause he’s about to come out for a bath

Any help would be great, thanks again

Attachments

• D0F494C0-3080-45CB-858B-3ABF6208C81E.jpeg
    D0F494C0-3080-45CB-858B-3ABF6208C81E.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 57

ckingy94

Hatchling Dragon
My enclosure is a 4x2x2
The uvb size was sold with the enclosure built by a reputable breeder in South Wales, there’s no cover on the bulb. Don’t know if my last picture showed the uvb setup properly. It just seems strange that he was absolutely okay with the setup and also knowing people with the same length UVB in their enclosure same enclosure from the same shop with no issues what so ever years down the line

On measuring the distance between basking log and the uvb that comes in at 14 inches

Could there be any explanation to why he has decided now he doesn’t like the length of his UVB

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 53

ckingy94

Hatchling Dragon
It is an off white bulb could that be my issue. That was replaced erm maybe a month ago. I would normally use an Arcadia solar basking floodlight but this is a solar basking spotlight witch does give off a different light to the previous. Il swap that out today if it can get to the shop in time to replace it.

I have heard so many different things about UVB you never really know what best for the little guys. Some people tell me to upgrade to T5 and potentially shorten the tube like you have said. My main focus is getting him back active. Then some people say the t8 is fine. I’ve just been looking into the Arcadia UVB bulb I’m using and it actually seems a lower output than the reptile systems one I used to have in there. Could this also be a factor?

Unable to load the image of your viv says the link isn’t valid. Would you be able to add it to the thread, think it would be useful to see another’s setup maybe make some changes to mine

ckingy94

Hatchling Dragon
Always seems to be the main difficulty when discussing over the forum as trying to find the UK equivalent can sometimes be tricky. Il get that basking bulb replaced tomorrow after work and keep you updated.

He came out for a little bit after his bath, done his business and trotted back off under his log. Seems to be hiding from something.

Thanks for all your help. Really hope I can get him back to his normal self

ckingy94

Hatchling Dragon
Hi there

So I changed the basking lamp today in the enclosure and placed him out to bask he definitely stayed up there longer than he has but still only around 30 minutes. I presume if this was the issue with him it will take a few days for him to get used to the fact the bulb is back the his requirements

ckingy94

Hatchling Dragon
Not much longer to be honest with you. He’s had a little look around and gone back under his hide again.

He kinda looks around as if he’s scared all the time. Really worried about him :(

ckingy94

Hatchling Dragon
I went to the breeder I got him from today and had a discussion with them about the UVB they’ve said that the setup I have should be absolutely fine (setup being used for their shop and own beardies as I was going to buy a smaller one today at the same time. So I don’t really know what to do about it.

A new uvb and controller to power it seems like a heavy investment but then I’m now receiving a whole load of conflicting information about my uvb lighting.

I don’t know if a trip to the vets will shed any light. Not sure what to do

ckingy94

Hatchling Dragon
No worries at all il post on there today. I tried to sign up before with them and had sign up issues so gave up on the forum. Guess il try again

He seems much brighter today but if it’s a temporary thing I don’t know.

Thanks again for all your help. I can’t see it being an issue for the vets as he seems okay on all other fronts.

Do you think it’ll have anything to do with the increased ambient temperatures in the uk recently. It is hotter in there down his cold side that normal

Attachments

• B87DB8B1-532A-44A7-A41F-316E74C5E076.jpeg
    B87DB8B1-532A-44A7-A41F-316E74C5E076.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43

ckingy94

Hatchling Dragon
Let me know the outcome of that. I’ve no issue changing it out I just don’t wanna commit to something and find out he’s still the exact same after.

He has a basking temperature of 98.6f but I have issues keeping the cool side below 86f I don’t know if that’s too hot.

We’ve had no bowel movements for around a week now given him a daily bath the last couple of days, try perk him up a little bit but nothing I try seems to do the trick. He’s gone back in now clawed at the corner of the viv for a bit and hunkered back down under s rock

ckingy94

Hatchling Dragon
I mean there’s not an awful lot I can do about it. It’s 91.4f outside right now in a country that does not have AC cause Is unprepared for such temperatures. How do you suggest I bring the temperature down on the cold side with the ambient temperature is warmer than recommendations

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
When you say basking temp is 98.6, is that air or surface? It's a bit warm for ambient temp and may be why the cool end is too warm, but its a bit low for basking surface.

ckingy94

Hatchling Dragon
There’s a digital probe positioned directly under the light source will read between 98-102f My cool end is so warm because it’s around 92f outside right now in the UK. How can I keep something cooler than the weather. My basking light is currently off cause my thermostat has turned it off because it’s too warm

ckingy94

Hatchling Dragon
No cooler rooms in this place. It’s an apartment in the attic so it’s pretty warm everywhere. Got a fan running all day but we sometimes get some horrible temps but being the UK are not fitted with AC so it’s an issue.

We don’t get weather like today much so hopefully be back to better temps in there for him tomorrow.

Only getting around 92.5 without the light being on but I don’t want to turn the thermostat up because il just be heating the enclosure up even more.

Was wondering. Would a reflector above my backing light be better to try and direct the light down more in an attempt to lower the ambient temperature in the enclosure? And direct the light directly down on the log. (I’ve attached a photo so you know what I mean)

Attachments

• F5E1CE50-AB77-4639-B935-6E4DC8109C96.jpeg
    F5E1CE50-AB77-4639-B935-6E4DC8109C96.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8

Leslie C

Bearded Dragon Egg
Can't tell from the picture you posted, but do you have the glass covered on the sides and the back so he cannot see outside the tank on those sides? Sometimes the movement around the tank can bother them - especially when they are very young and new to the environment.

Other than that, if he is not pooping, my best advice is the vet! There may be nothing wrong, but that is not a good sign of health. It's been going on long enough that i wouldn't waste more time experimenting with lighting, etc.

Good luck!

HaggridTheBearded

Hatchling Dragon
First of all keep in mind the level of experience of those giving advice, many of us are fairly inexperienced. If you have has him a year and his is in a set-up the breeder you got him from also uses for his bearded dragons then I wouldn't fret about the 2/3rd of the tank issue. Seems highly unlikley to be the issue IMHO since you have had the same set-up for so long. New UVB bulb yah that makes sense but otherwise IDK.

Is he shedding? I know ours, Hagrid, eats much less and is less active when he is shedding, or about to, if you can't think of anything else that has changed I'd say a simple trip to the vet is probably in order, especially if you have a vet that you know is well versed in the care of reptiles. So far that has been my issue, very variable info about knowledge aboout reptiles in the vets near me. funny thing, even asked a lady I know who is a vet, she said besides checking stool and making sure that it was not too cold she (personally) wouldn't know much what to do for a reptile if some one brought one in to her clinic, without doing some research. SHe has lots of equine experience though, and plenty of dogs and cats too...haha. WE both had quite a chuckle about it that she said you probably know as much as I do off the top of my head about what to be concerned about/what to look for....I am a nurse so we both found it pretty funny. Maybe the humor won't transfer very well to others I suppose.

ckingy94

Hatchling Dragon
Hi there.

Only got glass on one side of my enclosure he’s coming up to 2 now so is pretty used to the environment and what not. I’ve had a conversation again with the breeder today who popped over to see if they could see any issues with setup or anything all seemed okay.

We’re lucky to have a qualified herp vet in the local aria does clinics across the south of England and Wales so I’ve given them a call to get him booked in. Just seems so odd and out of character so he’s booked in there. Hopefully it’s nothing serious, but we shall see how it goes.

SketchyMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
It should be directed downward anyway and yes that is going to keep the temp down in the tank --- not outward-- that way you have an actual basking spot------------- not all around --- just make sure you have a gradient for him - so he can sit just not one spot ---- he can still bask but at different temps - I have a log that has a point that he can climb up and then he can sit on the bottom of it or he can like stand on the floor of tank and lean on it all different temps for him under the light
AF1QipNHiN__zoDgazOHkWc7ho8qBH9V7Mcit-kvQnZm=s512-p-qv=p5iihc4278ol148ot2m267h99n2ncvrh5,m=128809b95c5eefcd57fe5c1937c8fbe2,x=,t=25-iv1006

Kaylynangel- what did you use to mount your UV?

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
There’s a digital probe positioned directly under the light source will read between 98-102f My cool end is so warm because it’s around 92f outside right now in the UK. How can I keep something cooler than the weather. My basking light is currently off cause my thermostat has turned it off because it’s too warm
Oh! Sorry, I forget that not all places have central AC as a given (I live in Florida in the US). I have no idea other than having a fan directed at the enclosure :-(
Your temps under the basking light (when it's on) sound right. The thermostat is nice. :0)