• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New UVB fixture blew out my UVB lights, how to fix?

Skynub

Bearded Dragon Egg
I ordered the ZooMed/ Reptisun Terrarium Hood as a new UVB fixture with a reflector (whereas I didn’t have a reflector before); when I plugged it in and flipped the switch, nothing happened, so I thought maybe the light that came with it was faulty. I took out my ReptiSun 10.00 T5HO light from my old fixture and put it in, and it didn’t do anything again; I thought maybe my fixture was broken and went to put my light back into my enclosure, but it didn’t work anymore. So my new fixture broke both of the lights I tried to put into it, both the one it came with, and the one I was using in my tank. Is there any way to fix this and not destroy any more lights?

Skynub

Bearded Dragon Egg
I ordered the ZooMed/ Reptisun Terrarium Hood as a new UVB fixture with a reflector (whereas I didn’t have a reflector before); when I plugged it in and flipped the switch, nothing happened, so I thought maybe the light that came with it was faulty. I took out my ReptiSun 10.00 T5HO light from my old fixture and put it in, and it didn’t do anything again; I thought maybe my fixture was broken and went to put my light back into my enclosure, but it didn’t work anymore. So my new fixture broke both of the lights I tried to put into it, both the one it came with, and the one I was using in my tank. Is there any way to fix this and not destroy any more lights?
Additional info: the first fixture i got 2 years ago had this problem too initially, but I thought it was an isolated incident and didn’t think about it at all when I got this new fixture (you dont generally think plugging something in and turning it on will lead to disaster) - so I didn’t know if this was a common issue or if I’m just cursed. The last time my dad came and fixed the wires on it, but is there an easier solution for this?

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
This sucks! Order this one off of amazon and just attach it the inside of the top of the cage. My bearded dragon seems to thrive with this lighting, though he is currently in a state of brumation.

This is a T8 but it works just as efficiently if you place it right, and i've never had issues with having to replace them due to them blowing. It also comes with a back up bulb just incase!

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
It says T5 but Sadie said it was a T8. I read the bulb itself too. Unless it comes with two different bulbs. (Either way they are the same size and both fit in the fixture.)

Skynub

Bearded Dragon Egg
This sucks! Order this one off of amazon and just attach it the inside of the top of the cage. My bearded dragon seems to thrive with this lighting, though he is currently in a state of brumation.

This is a T8 but it works just as efficiently if you place it right, and i've never had issues with having to replace them due to them blowing. It also comes with a back up bulb just incase!

This new fixture I bought was actually the exact one Sadie told me to buy on my previous thread and the same one you linked, and, honestly, I only have $2 left in my bank account after buying a replacement light after this new fixture nuked the light I had. I don’t think the fixture itself is broken considering my previous fixture did this at the start too. I’ll get my dad to come fix the wires on this one too if there isn’t an easier solution, but considering this has happened to me twice, I thought that maybe it was something common and there was an easier solution. I can’t afford to get yet another new fixture after getting this one; I was just hoping there would be a fix for it.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
What wattage is the bulb you were using, and what is the maximum wattage for your light fixture?

Skynub

Bearded Dragon Egg
What wattage is the bulb you were using, and what is the maximum wattage for your light fixture?
On the front of the box, there are two light recommendations, the reptisun T5HO 5.0 and the 10.00; those were the two lights I tried to use with it that it blew out (the 5.0 came preinstalled into the fixture, the 10.00 I took out of my enclosure) -it says it holds 24watt lights, which both of the lights I tried to use were

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This new fixture I bought was actually the exact one Sadie told me to buy on my previous thread and the same one you linked, and, honestly, I only have $2 left in my bank account after buying a replacement light after this new fixture nuked the light I had. I don’t think the fixture itself is broken considering my previous fixture did this at the start too. I’ll get my dad to come fix the wires on this one too if there isn’t an easier solution, but considering this has happened to me twice, I thought that maybe it was something common and there was an easier solution. I can’t afford to get yet another new fixture after getting this one; I was just hoping there would be a fix for it.
You got a dud fixture it happens contact the seller and if they are reputable they will replace I believe there is a 1 year warranty on them-- also you cannot get a T 8 bulb into a T 5 fixture-- I was replacing my T 5 bulb last week and the bulb blew- I thought it was the fixture so I put in the 5.0 bulb that had come w/ the fixture and it worked fine so I took that one out tried the new Reptisun again and it flickered and went out - it was the bulb so the 5.0 went in distance in fixture was placed for a T 8 distance- and new T 5's Arcadia's were ordered-

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It says T5 but Sadie said it was a T8. I read the bulb itself too. Unless it comes with two different bulbs. (Either way they are the same size and both fit in the fixture.)
The 5.0 bulb is considered a T 8 and is used for aquariums- the 10.0 bulb is for reptiles- also a T 5 bulb