• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Dragon care and just have a couple of questions...

dragon310

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi, I just got a darling (and I do mean that) little female dragon (I personally like calling her a dragon and not a beardie, but that's just me). She is very sweet but a little freaked out, I think, from being driven to my place.

I live in Southern CA, and it's typically warm here year round. I bought one dome type light (UV/UAB??) that was the most expensive one at the pet store, and the one the saleslady urged me to get for optimum heating. She said she owns five dragons and loves them, so I trusted her. However, she did not suggest a heating pad. But I worry. I don't want my little dragon to get cold at night when the light is off. Should I consider a heating pad?

Also, I'm a little scared to handle her (not because she isn't friendly). I'm so nervous I'm going to somehow hurt her. She seems like a very delicate animal even though everyone says these dragons are hardy.

And, as for bathing, should I go ahead and bathe her this week even with her being new and all. I don't want to scare or stress her out.

Did I mention that she's so darling. I'm absolutely in love with this animal and I'm a first time reptile owner. I put some (organic) greens, carrrots (cut up in tiny pieces) and just a few bits of apple for her today.

Which leads me to my last question - the saleslady said I should feed her mealworms/crickets every other day and only five of them a day at one time. The rest of the time, I'm to have greens available (with the calcium/vitamin powder sprinkled on them). She did not mention a multivitamin, though. Does this eating plan sound right?

My dragon is almost full grown, so right at the end of her teen years.

Thanks for advice in advance! :)

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey,

Congratulations on your new beardie!

For UVB lighting, I prefer reptisun 10.0's. Its a long fluorescent tube. I'm not too sure what type of bulb your using.

You won't need any night heat so a heating pad is unnecessary. Just make sure her day time temps are good. The AIR temps should range from 75-80 on the cool end and 95-100 on the hot end. Her basking temp, which is the temperature of the surface of her basking spot, should read at least 115-120. Try and use the lowest watt bulb possible to achieve these temps. 45 or 50 watt halogen indoor/outdoor flood bulbs work really well.

The surface your beardie basks on should be larger than the animal. This will give your basking area a temp gradient of its own and offer your dragons more choices.

Make sure to offer her tight/dark hides on the warm and cool side.

You can handle her when ever you feel comfortable.

You should soak her in the next couple days.

At this point in her life I would offer her greens all day and 1-2 feedings of protein (bugs) a day.

Heres a pic of my dragons basking area.
DSC02020.jpg

HUNTEQ

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I think heating pad are great, I turn mine on for Eragon ONLY at night since it gets hot during the day, even during winter, BUT AT NIGHT, NOT EVEN FUNNY HOW COLD IT IS.

dragon310

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks for the advice! :)

I've been giving her greens pretty much every day (although, I didn't today - but I'll give them daily going forward). She ate five crickets and four meal worms today, and the pet shop I bought her from said to feed her protein one day and greens in between.

She really wants out of her Terrarium. She scratches the glass and looks at me. When I take her out and put her down, though, she wants to take off running (and I'm afraid she'll hide somewhere where I can't find her). Do I need to take her out? I do pet her and I have bathed her twice. But does she need to be let out? Will she eventually calm down and want to hang out (i.e. NOT run and hide)?

She really is the cutest thing and I'm very gentle with her, but I work all day and sometimes I don't get home until long after she's asleep. I just hate for her to be lonely, but the woman at the pet shop said she's fine alone.