• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to beardies

Nightsky

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone! I'm the proud parent of a beautiful 3ish month old bearded dragon named Toothless ( thanks to my kiddos ). He is lots of fun. I love how he seems to listen to me when I talk to him. I'm always looking for any good advice as I'm new to this. So, Toothless and I just want to say hi

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi everyone! I'm the proud parent of a beautiful 3ish month old bearded dragon named Toothless ( thanks to my kiddos ). He is lots of fun. I love how he seems to listen to me when I talk to him. I'm always looking for any good advice as I'm new to this. So, Toothless and I just want to say hi
Hi and welcome to the forum. Great name! Beardies are lots of fun and have great personalities. Don't hesitate to reach out and ask away. Peeps here are always ready to help out and answer questions. :)

brindle01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,
I have my viv all set up. Just waiting for our new addition to our family,a rankins dragon. So thought i would join this forum to make sure i am going to be doing everything right for a happy and healthy dragon, Thanks

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Welcome to the forum brindle. Peeps here are waiting to help so when you're ready ask away. :) Have to confess I had to look up what a Rankin's dragon was. lol Awww sounds cute. A little pygmy one. The colors on the ones I saw are striking. You'll have to share pics when you get him/her.

brindle01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to the forum brindle. Peeps here are waiting to help so when you're ready ask away. :) Have to confess I had to look up what a Rankin's dragon was. lol Awww sounds cute. A little pygmy one. The colors on the ones I saw are striking. You'll have to share pics when you get him/her.

brindle01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Barb. Littlefield. Can I ask what substrate you use please? Iam thinking of putting reptile carpet down but not sure if it's suitable. Many thanks.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Barb. Littlefield. Can I ask what substrate you use please? Iam thinking of putting reptile carpet down but not sure if it's suitable. Many thanks.
Hi brindle. I use excavator clay for substrate. It (along with other substrates) has its pros and cons.

Pros:
It has very little small crumble, but allows beardies to dig. My guy luvs digging his bed out.
I find it easy to keep clean as I just scoop up his poo with a spoon getting a layer of clay along with it then filling it back in with loose clay.
It's more natural feeling to beardie.

Cons:
Some do find it harder to keep clean.
It's expensive. I change Dex's clay every 3 months and use 2 10 lb bags so it can be costly.

I wouldn't suggest carpet. It's very hard to keep clean and absorbs all the nasty stuff (like bacteria) and will start to smell along with not being very healthy for beardie. Most here suggest tile. I'm not familiar with types, etc, but I'm sure if you ask many will give you suggestions.

Hope this helps! :)

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
i also use excavator clay its very natural looking just like the clay you would find beardies on in the wild
Agree Dillmonster. I did a little research on substrate and ended up going with the clay. Dexter has always had it in his tank since I got him as a teeny baby and now at almost 9 months has never been impacted, had health issues, or been to the vet outside his normal wellness check up. (Course I'm still waiting for that bb to show in his poo).

He luvs to dig in it though he only has 2 spots he actually does. In his hollow for his bed and inside his hide. I can hear him sometimes scratching in his hide randomly throughout the day. lol He doesn't stay there long, but apparently he needs it just right when he hangs out there.