• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New To Beardies-Feeding input needed

AdamF

Hatchling Dragon
Can someone give me an example of feeding patterns for a) 3-6 month old, b) 6-12 month old, c) 1 year plus:

IE
A-80% protein (how many times/day) 20% Salad
B-50/50
C-20/80

Also how many 1/2" dubia roaches would they consume in a week?

Alternatively, if there is a "feeding" post here that already covers this kindly post the link.

Thank you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Can someone give me an example of feeding patterns for a) 3-6 month old, b) 6-12 month old, c) 1 year plus:

IE
B-50/50
C-20/80

Alternatively, if there is a "feeding" post here that already covers this kindly post the link.

Thank you
Baby dragons should be eating around 12-15 roaches per feeding -- crickets I cant help you on that as I never fed them and from what I hear they eat alot more of those than the roaches as they are more filling and a better feeder -- they say feed as many as they will eat in a 10-15 minute time span -- but you want them eating salads as well - although its not the main diet it is recommended they get some salads - make sure the insect is NO bigger than the space between the eyes length wise -- you do not want to feed a insect too big it will cause impaction - I usually put the dubias in a dish / bowl they could not get out of and put in around 10 to start and if he ate more I would ad a few at a time - they were put in the salad bowl after feeding BSFL on top of the salads - so mine was getting BSFL and salads and dubias in the morning - I would offer a second feeding of just roaches in the afternoon some times he ate sometimes he did not depending on how full he was after the morning feeding - but you want him eating some salad and the BSFL are a good lure to the bowl - I also used silk worms too - they are another great staple feeder - small super worms were added to the salad bowl 1-3- so he was getting a variety of worms w/ the salads - also insects -- but your looking at the 20/80 ratio up until a year old after a year old or so it will flip to the 80/20 ratio --- but key here is to get him to start eating those salads as early as you can --
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a great staple feeder

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
DO NOT DUST the BSFL they are calcium enriched --- make sure your dusting the other insects w/ calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE PER FEEDING and w/ vitamins w/ beta carotene ONCE PER FEEDING 2 x per week -- and your using a good UVB long tube fixture NO coils they are inaduquate for a UVB---- if you have questions please ask I will help you

Jrodkw

Hatchling Dragon

IE
B-50/50
C-20/80

Thank you
20 crickets, twice per day (at most) until they're one year old. After that...20 per day total.