• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to bearded dragons

Fane

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone! I'm new to the bearded dragon scene, I've talked to my family about getting a bearded dragon and they are 100% on board on me getting one. I have a few of questions towards housing one. What I've gotten so far is a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft terrarium, a few caves and dishes a heat lamp and some logs. I know what I need in the terrarium but I'n a bit confused on the size of terrarium hood and what type of bulb I need (UVB). I've seen seen tons of posts saying that a 5.0 is better than a 10.0 and viscera. If you guys could help me out with my struggles I would appreciate it a lot!

BeardieMama86

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So 10.0 is one you will want and we use a 34” UVB light bulb (we purchase them off of reptile basics website) in our custom made enclosure that are 4’x2’x’2. As for a good lid your probably going to need either custom make it or find someone who can make a custom sized one.

BeardieMama86

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
When you say terrarium hood do you mean the lid/top of the whole enclosure or do you mean the reflector ‘hood’ that the UVB tube bulb goes into? - x
Good question I was wondering that’s too. But wasn’t really sure if that meant that like an aquarium hood or a pet of the uvb fixture. I usually think of like a aquarium hood light fixture when they term is used.