• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Bearded dragon

Pilf

Hatchling Dragon
So I have decide to open a thread for everything concerning my Dragon, since I have few issues to address, it seem better here then continuing with my int thread.

So we have reach the point of buying a 24w T5 or a 39w T5 according to my enclosure dimension.

price wise it’s not a big difference anyway and if the tube needed to be at least 2/3 of my enclosure length then a 39w it should be…

in the meantime I have started window bating for 20-30 mins, it’s winter here so no much heat nor strong light but whatever we can get.

he was actually sitting on top of a pillow which was on top of my room heater, so it wasn’t cold for him where he was,

4804688D-6CF7-4E79-952E-34BB5EBA5058.jpeg

And I also decided to give him his first bath, that I know off… I had the water temp reached 40C and left him for around 15 mins with water reaching is side line with a saucer as little podium. I ever so gently brushed him with a soft brand new toothbrush and he seemed to have enjoy his spa

EF97D428-6E58-4889-92BF-47CC2E330D63.jpeg

anyway that’s enough excitement for him today.

Badwolfe

Hatchling Dragon
Yes the 39W Arcadia Pro T5 is going to be a much better option for your dragon going on the dimensions you provided in your other thread. Try to position it near to the centre line of the top of the viv as the projector is designed to reflect the light down in an arc. If its towards the back of the viv a lot of the light is just wasted being projected onto the back wall.

Pilf

Hatchling Dragon
@Sadie when my boy is getting restless in the enclosure, meaning he start to move around and go in and out of his cave, comes along the window, I get him out, shoulder carry him a while then I place a pillow by the window and put him on it… that’s it, chillaxing like no tomorrow…

can’t wait to have proper UVB in to make him happier.

Pilf

Hatchling Dragon
@Sadie , so if I understood well the UVB tube needs to be between 8 to 12 inches from the highest basking point, is that correct? Because at the moment with actual set up, which you know is far from being perfect, is 7,87 inches.

Please advise.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
@Sadie , so if I understood well the UVB tube needs to be between 8 to 12 inches from the highest basking point, is that correct? Because at the moment with actual set up, which you know is far from being perfect, is 7,87 inches.

Please advise.
For a T 5 bulb inside the tank it should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- if that did not answer your question please tell me the bulb and where it's at-- your screen type - wide hole or fine mesh

Pilf

Hatchling Dragon
For a T 5 bulb inside the tank it should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- if that did not answer your question please tell me the bulb and where it's at-- your screen type - wide hole or fine mesh
I will make sure the tube is at least 12 inches from higher spot, it won’t be complicated to do a little stand to rise up the lamp, that being said the opening on top of the enclosure will have to be slightly wider in order to allow maximum light to penetrate. Regarding the mesh, it is not Miskito net type it’s more like the chicken wire type but not exactly but as open as…

C7135C10-AF35-40F5-AC1B-F649397BBCC7.jpeg

Thanks, if more questions pop out, will let you know. ☺️

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I will make sure the tube is at least 12 inches from higher spot, it won’t be complicated to do a little stand to rise up the lamp, that being said the opening on top of the enclosure will have to be slightly wider in order to allow maximum light to penetrate. Regarding the mesh, it is not Miskito net type it’s more like the chicken wire type but not exactly but as open as…

View attachment 31356

Thanks, if more questions pop out, will let you know. ☺️
Ok the chicken wire is more of a wide hole screen it can sit on top of it and place your basking decor directly underneath 8-10 inches --- since it is so wide watch the behavior you may haft to adjust it to the 125-15 inches

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok the chicken wire is more of a wide hole screen it can sit on top of it and place your basking decor directly underneath 8-10 inches --- since it is so wide watch the behavior you may haft to adjust it to the 125-15 inches
12-15 inches

Pilf

Hatchling Dragon
So I just took is weight today and according to previous owner he is 3 years old, 50cm long and according to my reading he is 434gr, is that ok?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I just took is weight today and according to previous owner he is 3 years old, 50cm long and according to my reading he is 434gr, is that ok?
yes hes is of good weight and length --

Pilf

Hatchling Dragon
Find out since I am breeding my own insects to feed the boy, that he fancy those mealworm nymphs, they can’t run away and they still wiggle which is very interesting to him. He is not a fan of the worms themselves but the nymphs… just like bearded dragon popcorn.

I guess nothing wrong giving him those.

Pilf

Hatchling Dragon
Today I build a new habitat for my medium sized grasshoppers…

A715E9A7-E607-408C-8340-BC0ED0F0AE46.jpeg

A8D24B2F-961E-4987-9A21-8A8636ED696D.jpeg

745490E8-162A-483B-A75F-ECCA6E5604A2.jpeg

94C47601-443C-497B-8C4F-275D361D951A.jpeg

So I completed my new grasshoppers enclosure, at the moment there is only10 specimen, will get more soon.

the tank is :

70cm Length/ 30cm Depth/ 45cm Heigh

plenty space for these guys to breed…
I wanted to have something that is nice to look at.

I have upgraded my Dubia Roaches enclosure from an opaque black to a more or less clear bucket twice the size, again I tried to create a more or less natural environment for these guys…

E1FC57E8-F32B-4D21-8D76-B905E0B4777C.jpeg

while transferring the bugs I had in the previous set up, I find out that I had Juvenal already which is very exciting.

Guys… I think I am hooked

Pilf

Hatchling Dragon
behaviour question:

why is my boy jumping inside his enclosure from time to time… he have done this twice now in a month or so. Is he showing signs of “I want a snack or I am bored here take me out?”

there is no crickets or any other food bothering him so you know…

Pilf

Hatchling Dragon
I noticed in fact when ever he was super actif… is when he needed to have a good poo done… are they always feeling uncomfortable when they need to poo?

Badwolfe

Hatchling Dragon
I noticed in fact when ever he was super actif… is when he needed to have a good poo done… are they always feeling uncomfortable when they need to poo?
Beardies can be quite particular about where they do their business and will often pick a certain spot to do it.

They do tend to move around more when ready to go. Mine for example likes to do a little wiggle right before delivering me the present to clean up :)

Pilf

Hatchling Dragon
Beardies can be quite particular about where they do their business and will often pick a certain spot to do it.

They do tend to move around more when ready to go. Mine for example likes to do a little wiggle right before delivering me the present to clean up :)
Same here… twerking is more the word lol… anyway, good all is normal then. Thanks.