• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New owner, new setup, HII!

Shrimpforever777

Bearded Dragon Egg
HELLO WORLD OF DRAGONS!

My name is Lizzie and I am suuuuuper excited to be getting a bearded dragon this weekend! I am in the process of setting up the terrarium and I'm overall pretty confident in the research I've done but I still have a couple of questions.

#1 How do I use a house bulb instead of a petstore one

#2 If I buy an infrared thermometer do I still need 2 in tank thermometers or is it either or? TIA!

Shrimpforever777

Bearded Dragon Egg
First it is trial a error w/ basking bulbs-- I have tried them and cannot get the temps to what they need to be so I am buying Exo Terro bulbs 150 watt - I just got two for one from Petsmart - they need to be an Incandescent bulbs from Walmart or even a local home improvement store I was looking at a 65 watt BR 30 since my tank is a 120 gallon tank -- I have not been able to get it to try it so I am currently using the Exo Terra bulbs ---you need a bright white basking bulb thats gonna keep temps 105-110 -- next you need a digital probe thermometers and yes I would get one for each side they are cheap $5 from petco or petsmart - and I also would invest in a infrared heat gun from your local home improvement store for $10-12 and you must have one or the other on hand when checking and putting in basking bulb - you do not want to cook your dragon!!!!!!!!!!!!! Next do not get colored bulbs or heat mats or heat rocks ---- you only need two really good bulbs for that tank one being a good UVB NO coils - it will kill your dragon - you need a TUBE bulb w/ a fixture w/ a reflector --- you can get a generic reflector from here for $32 a 24" fixture - do not get a fixture the length of your tank - you need the dragon to be able to escape the rays if he wants to - next you need to get a Reptisun 10.0 bulb they are the best on the market at this time --- either the T 5 or the T 8 - you can go look at this website for those that I have posted www.pangeareptiles.com click on fixtures - the fixture will be right there and click on T 5 lights Arcadias are good bulbs as well if you decide w/ the Arcadia you can get the 12% bulb it is just like the T 5 bulb - they only need to be replaced once a year - they go into the tank w/ tanks that have a fine mesh screen top approx 12-15 inches from basking decor - if its a wide holed screen top it can sit on top w/ the basking decor 8-10 inches from bulb --- most of the fixtures come w/ no cover on the bulb if you get one w/ a cover over the bulb take it off and leave it off -- if you have more questions please ask -- NO SAND it causes impaction -- babies lick everything --- hes going to go thru relocation stress so his eating will be slow at first --
AND MOST OF ALL IF YOUR GETTING HIM FROM THE PETSTORE DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYTHING THEY TELL YOU ---- MOST OF THE ADVICE PETSTORE PEOPLE GIVE IS BAD ADVICE AND END UP KILLING THE DRAGON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they will sell you stuff that you do not need --- I have told you basically everything you need to get for your dragon --- you can use paper towels or newspaper for substrate -- how big is the tank your getting ?

I plan on using the paper towels for substrate, as for UVB I already have a fixture (not the coil the long one) it just needs a new bulb. I'll be getting a baby so I'll be using a spare 20g I have (after I clean the living heck out of it!) For about a month or two depending on how fast it grows so that I have a chance to upgrade to a 40g or larger.

Shrimpforever777

Bearded Dragon Egg
You can sit the fixture over the tank width wise--+ I had a 18" fixture over blazes tank that sat width and it worked great- the screen blocks 30% of the UVB rays-- T 8's are not strong enough -- so I had the 75 watt basking bulb clamped on the end of
the tank and UVB sitting width wise-- I have pics if it I can post in morning if you like to see

Yeah that would be awesome! How do I if it is a t8? Also how would I set up a heat lamp with no lid?

Shrimpforever777

Bearded Dragon Egg
a9hcq3O.jpg
Here's my startup enclosure! Going to pickup a real basking spot tomorrow the logs are just stacked so that the temporary thermometer is close enough to the light! Basking spot just hit 100f and rising! I know it's only a 20g but it'll only be in this for a month or two.

Shrimpforever777

Bearded Dragon Egg
By the way if anyone has any words of wisdom about heat lamps I'd really appreciate it. I am using an 8.5 inch heat lamp that says not to use a bulb higher than 150 watts and I am using a bulb that is 100 watts. I am still really nervous about leaving the house with it on.

Shrimpforever777

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok read the post above ----- it will tell you how to set up the UVB ---- he is not going to be in that tank long -- you need to start looking for another tank as big as your can afford---------------- preferably one w/ front doors and no smaller than a 40 gallon ----- they will out grow the 40 as well - so if you want look on FB marketplace and craigslist --- if you find one that is used make sure you sanitize it really good before use ---
Yeah, that was my plan. The store said he'll have a little bit shorter tail than a normal one because it got nipped. I'll keep an eye on it to make sure it stays nice and clean. I am hoping to find a 55 for the little dude. Also, I've noticed that he's gotten darker since we got him home, is this normal? Don't kill me for this but I am not 100% sure if my UVB is strong enough (I am going to order a new bulb as soon as possible. I should be able to get it this weekend) I read somewhere that it may be causing the dark color? I can take him out for natural uv but it's a little cold here so I don't know how long or if I should. The picture with the salad is from when we first brought him home. And the others are from a few minutes ago. On the bright side he likes veggies lol! How many times a week should I soak one this age? Sorry for all of these questions, this is my first reptile, which is probably really obvious because of all of the cluelessness but I really want to do this right!

P.S. Pardon my "don't kill me" comment, I am used to the crazy Facebook group people.

AFMRhxm

6e1Qm5b

6e1Qm5b

Sorry for the bad ligting, he's under the bridge, there has been no blackbearding at all.

Shrimpforever777

Bearded Dragon Egg
He's gonna go thru relocation stress effecting apatite-- it will slow but he should not completely quit eating - the T 8 is not cause of being dark - could be stress or could be he's trying to absorb heat- basking temps should be 105-110- your T 8 is fine - baths should not be given for now-- let him adjust- if he's eating salad now that is great - wash his greens before serving them-- make sure his bugs are gutloaded-- meaning fed and hydrated either with carrots or crystal water pellets - carrots are better- he will get moisture that way + best way to tell is his poop will be formed moist and dark urate- will be formed moist and white not chalky and dried out--- dust his bugs w/ calcium D3 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week-- feed bugs 2 x per day as many as he will eat in 10 minutes-- also make sure he has 2 hrs of basking time before lights out

It tested the basking temp before getting him and it was 104 but my new bask spot is closer to the light. I haven't seen him use it yet though.

Also, he made it through the first night! Man this is nerve wracking seeing him waking up, I've never seen the little guy half asleep before lol!