• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New enclosure is finished!

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
ADF5BF86-89EE-4AC1-91FD-7C364A40A0E7.jpeg CDF8B341-1DE4-43E1-BA80-7A27593C4CFD.jpeg 0F8C909E-0BB6-4A5D-9134-FDE306F31C68.jpeg My sweet hubby built Jayne’s new enclosure, we off-gassed it with heat lamps, and she moved into it this morning. I was afraid she’d stop eating with the move, so I added some strawberries to her salad this morning (she loves anything red), and she attacked it and her insects like a champ. She’s already been climbing and exploring. I think she loves all the space!
For those of you who have a background up inside your enclosure, how do you safely adhere it?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Looks great, I love the floor! I don't really have any ideas to get the background adhered though.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
We kind of upcycled the floor tiles. The table we were putting her finished tank on is a slate tile table, with removable tiles. So instead of buying different tiles for inside the tank and having the pretty table ones hidden underneath, we put the tank on the empty table frame and used those tiles inside. Worked great and is so pretty. They have a nice texture (though she still is pretty clumsy-seeming on them sometimes). She had gotten too big for her starter tank, and since she's now in her nice big one, she is eating way more and able to get more exercise when she's not out to play.

Coyotestarkiller

Bearded Dragon Egg
Do you mind if I ask what material you used to build your new enclosure? I'm looking to do the same (and while researching, I had the same question about a background, so if I find anything I will let you know!) Because my starter tank is also going to be too small in a couple months. Larger tanks are on sale at Petco right now, $1 a gallon, but I'm wanting to get away from tanks. Buying new enclosures is pricey and most used ones look not maintained very well. I like the sliding front door option and having the 3 sides for heat reflection as I keep my house pretty cold year round and live in the PNW.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
We went ahead, after much research, and used melamine. We made sure and letbit off-gas plenty with heat lamps in it before we ever put her in.

The doors are acrylic. We used metal brackets on the bottom and more melamine at the top to create a track for it to slide in. I can easily slide the doors completely off for full access and deep cleaning, if I need to.

Coyotestarkiller

Bearded Dragon Egg
Perfect, that is what I was leaning towards, malamine with acrylic doors, but the off-gas had me concerned. Thanks so much!

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Put a couple of heat lamps in it and leave it on for like 48 hours. I would keep the doors closed to let the heat build up, then I’d open it to let the gasses out, then I’d close it up again. She’s been in it for nearly a month now and seems to be doing fine.