• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Enclosure Heating

caaleshire

Bearded Dragon Egg
Newbie here. Have a Zen Habitats 4' x 2' x 2' enclosure with Carolina Custom Cages 34" T5HO + 2 halogen basking bulbs fixture (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JM8PG45). I originally set this up with both bulbs, spread out a little because the heat at the floor was around 108 degrees. With one bulb it sits right at 103 on the top of the half-log and 85 on the floor, and he's super happy there with intermitting gaping. The issue is the cold side is only 72F. Is that a problem or should I put the second bulb in for more heat throughout?

Attachments

• 4032-3024-max.jpg
    4032-3024-max.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 26

Zontar’s Mom

Juvenile Dragon
Newbie here. Have a Zen Habitats 4' x 2' x 2' enclosure with Carolina Custom Cages 34" T5HO + 2 halogen basking bulbs fixture (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JM8PG45). I originally set this up with both bulbs, spread out a little because the heat at the floor was around 108 degrees. With one bulb it sits right at 103 on the top of the half-log and 85 on the floor, and he's super happy there with intermitting gaping. The issue is the cold side is only 72F. Is that a problem or should I put the second bulb in for more heat throughout?
As long as it doesn’t go lower than 65-70 , it is good

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You want cool side in the 80's - the problem w/ permanent basking fixtures is what your getting- you can't move the fixture to adjust the temp- you should either get a che ceramic heat emitter on that side to get temp up or use a regular house hold bulb in a dome on that side- it will give more light plus raise temps- I would try a 60 watt and place a digital probe thermometer on that side to get the temp-- I have the same tank--- I use a 24" uvb fixture placed in front middle of tank--- basking side domes on top in back w/ that same decor you have the one in the middle of your tank--- but set differently- its gives different basking temps - I will post a pic of my tank tomorrow- then you can see it--- you want 3 temps in the tank basking 105-110 for babies-- middle of tank 90's and cool side 80's. Nite time temps 65-75- you want a digital probe thermometer to get accurate temps- a stick on will approx ambient temps- good to.have digital IR gun and stickons I use all.three- please get a digital probe hygrometer place on back.wall center of tank

caaleshire

Bearded Dragon Egg
You want cool side in the 80's - the problem w/ permanent basking fixtures is what your getting- you can't move the fixture to adjust the temp- you should either get a che ceramic heat emitter on that side to get temp up or use a regular house hold bulb in a dome on that side- it will give more light plus raise temps- I would try a 60 watt and place a digital probe thermometer on that side to get the temp-- I have the same tank--- I use a 24" uvb fixture placed in front middle of tank--- basking side domes on top in back w/ that same decor you have the one in the middle of your tank--- but set differently- its gives different basking temps - I will post a pic of my tank tomorrow- then you can see it--- you want 3 temps in the tank basking 105-110 for babies-- middle of tank 90's and cool side 80's. Nite time temps 65-75- you want a digital probe thermometer to get accurate temps- a stick on will approx ambient temps- good to.have digital IR gun and stickons I use all.three- please get a digital probe hygrometer place on back.wall center of tank
OK cool, look forward to seeing it. I have the probes on the way, be here tomorrow. My IR gun shows 107 on the top of the half log he was sitting on, stayed there most of the day when he wasn't on the top of the center log. Any issues with heat radiating back from the steel mesh a dome sitting on top? I've heard a lot against doing that which is why I bought what I did.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OK cool, look forward to seeing it. I have the probes on the way, be here tomorrow. My IR gun shows 107 on the top of the half log he was sitting on, stayed there most of the day when he wasn't on the top of the center log. Any issues with heat radiating back from the steel mesh a dome sitting on top? I've heard a lot against doing that which is why I bought what I did.
The screen is stainless steel and I have never had a issue w/ the domes sitting on top- I also have a che sitting on top of screen middle back - only used in winter months - it's a 100 watt keeps tank in 70's winter time at nite---

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thats an interesting light, wish i had known about this type of houseing before i got my current lighting.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Attachments

• Blaze tank 12-29-2020.jpg
    Blaze tank 12-29-2020.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 21

caaleshire

Bearded Dragon Egg
The screen is stainless steel and I have never had a issue w/ the domes sitting on top- I also have a che sitting on top of screen middle back - only used in winter months - it's a 100 watt keeps tank in 70's winter time at nite---
Alright, may pull these halogens and give one of those a try. On the ambient temps from the probes (which I just received), I'm getting 85F on the host and 80 on the cool on the back of the tank. My IR gun shows 110 on the top of the log where he sits. Put the second bulb back in not much change, though he does hide on the top of the log under the hammock so I'm thinking I'll pull that second bulb back out at the least -- I think they're too intense and too focused.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Alright, may pull these halogens and give one of those a try. On the ambient temps from the probes (which I just received), I'm getting 85F on the host and 80 on the cool on the back of the tank. My IR gun shows 110 on the top of the log where he sits. Put the second bulb back in not much change, though he does hide on the top of the log under the hammock so I'm thinking I'll pull that second bulb back out at the least -- I think they're too intense and too focused.
Where is the probe sitting for the 85 temp? It needs to sit where he sits to bask -- sometimes IR guns give off the wrong temp depending on the type of material is being tested on -- the digital probe is going to give the most accurate temp -- I dont use halogen lights and I believe they run hotter -- I would get a regular bright white basking bulb like a Exo Terra start w/ a 100 watt and test between the halogen and the reg basking bulb make sure you use the digital probe and cross reference each w/ the IR gun --- but please go w/ the probe for accurate temps

caaleshire

Bearded Dragon Egg
It’s at the same height just a lit
Where is the probe sitting for the 85 temp? It needs to sit where he sits to bask -- sometimes IR guns give off the wrong temp depending on the type of material is being tested on -- the digital probe is going to give the most accurate temp -- I dont use halogen lights and I believe they run hotter -- I would get a regular bright white basking bulb like a Exo Terra start w/ a 100 watt and test between the halogen and the reg basking bulb make sure you use the digital probe and cross reference each w/ the IR gun --- but please go w/ the probe for accurate temps
tle
Here's where they are now. Like I said, I think these halogens are just really focused. Even a couple inches in any direction gives a huge difference.

Attachments

• 21-03-27 16-44-00 2556.jpg
    21-03-27 16-44-00 2556.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 22

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It’s at the same height just a lit

tle

Here's where they are now. Like I said, I think these halogens are just really focused. Even a couple inches in any direction gives a huge difference.
IR guns do not give off correct temps on hammocks-- please take the probe and place on the hammocks under the lamp where he would sit- I see him under the hammock on the log

caaleshire

Bearded Dragon Egg
IR guns do not give off correct temps on hammocks-- please take the probe and place on the hammocks under the lamp where he would sit- I see him under the hammock on the log
I got a 8" dome with a 100W Exo-Terra basking bulb. Getting 88F on the hammock with the probe.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
At least an hour. Thinking move the hammock up or higher wattage bulb?
You can try moving hammock up first try that see what temps do if the doesn't do it try higher wattage last

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can try moving hammock up first try that see what temps do if the doesn't do it try higher wattage last
You want basking temps 105-110 taken w/ your probe

caaleshire

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I think I've got it worked out. The dome light just wasn't putting out enough. I did some research on the small halogens and it seems they have right at a 45 degree coverage. I adjusted the bulbs so the coverage doesn't overlap and now the basking area is right at 105. Ambient temps are 86 on the hot side, 78 on the cool. Humidity at 26%.